488     8 
News   Nov 21, 2019
 1K     15 

Montréal Transit Developments

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
On a change of pace in these parts. I am super disappointed at learning that REM doesn't go to Dorval station. That seems like someone screwed up. VIA station there. Exo station there. Lots of area commuters. And yet they terminated a few hundred meters short.
The mayor agrees with you and is not happy, calling the extra 700 metres a "no-brainer".

I think it is fair to say though that you are being a bit overly critical of Montreal and its recent boom of rapid transit progress relative to Toronto's. I think that's what being attacked here, not you personally.
I've been far softer on the REM than some here, even calling the metro-like service from Bois-Franc to Central "brilliant". I've countered particular points that didn't seem correct. I've been very positive about the integrated STM/EXO fares, that have existed for decades - and are far better fare integration (and pricing) than we see in Toronto ... though I fear that the Caisse's need for profit is going to erode this.

No one jumps down my throat when I trash Presto and Metrolinx in this thread! Nor do people start using swear words and bullying when I criticize the Ottawa LRT, or the Waterloo ION (particularly the bizarre station locations and configurations) in those threads.

Criticizing poor government policy or transit should never be met by personal attacks. And I try and resist the temptation to attack the poster, rather than concept. And yet I've been met with name-calling, prejudiced comments about where people wrongly think I lived, with one person even asking for my ethnicity, so that they could focus attacks on the policies of those with that ethnicity! My gosh ... I live in Toronto ... as if there's not enough anti-transit and backwards policies of my Mayor and Premier to pick on.

For those that want to attack the poor policies of places where I live or lived. Please do (and that's not because I likely agree with you) ... but perhaps find an appropriate thread?

Last edited:

Urban Sky

Member Bio
Reaction score

I think it is fair to say though that you are being a bit overly critical of Montreal and its recent boom of rapid transit progress relative to Toronto's. I think that's what being attacked here, not you personally.
As far as it concerns myself, this is only half-right: we indeed keep clashing because of him being "overly critical of Montreal" (by compulsively starting discussions, which are completely irrelevant to this thread, and often the entire forum), but certainly not because of his criticism of "its recent boom of rapid transit progress relative to Toronto's" (which is exactly at the heart of what this thread is about). Unfortunately, it seems like I have to start insulting the mods and admins before they can finally be bothered to intervene...^^

No one jumps down my throat when I trash Presto and Metrolinx in this thread! Nor do people start using swear words and bullying when I criticize the Ottawa LRT, or the Waterloo ION (particularly the bizarre station locations and configurations) in those threads.
As far as we two are concerned: why don't you just cut out your completely off-topic "trashing"?

Last edited:

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
The metro no, but the REM will be pretty much the first system in Canada that's totally climate controlled, stations and all, if you ignore UP express
One nice feature of the stations on the Canada Line (they don't have many), is that they are designed to be passively cooled. Even on a hot day the platform level is quite cool.

With the climate discussion, one of my bigger concerns is sun kinks. Southern Ontario and Quebec have some of the widest temperature variations for major cities in the world from what I can tell and I think that moving rails out of direct sunlight is something we will need to consider more and more.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
One nice feature of the stations on the Canada Line (they don't have many), is that they are designed to be passively cooled. Even on a hot day the platform level is quite cool.

With the climate discussion, one of my bigger concerns is sun kinks. Southern Ontario and Quebec have some of the widest temperature variations for major cities in the world from what I can tell and I think that moving rails out of direct sunlight is something we will need to consider more and more.

We can also paint the rails white like they do in the UK and Australia to deal with sun kinks.

White reflects the most sunlight and apparently its quite effective at stopping sun kinks

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
(mine is Germany and can be found with three clicks by clicking on my user name, the “About” section and my LinkedIn profile I have included as “website”)
I have a feeling your avatar name is a play-on-words of your surname. That is really cool.

But back to stuff:
We can also paint the rails white like they do in the UK and Australia to deal with sun kinks.

White reflects the most sunlight and apparently its quite effective at stopping sun kinks

I'm not entirely sure how well that is actually working, because friction from the wheels I would think would remove the vast majority of visible paint, with brake dust covering another large portion. I guess it could work for the sides, but the majority of lines don't get visible sunlight hitting the sides of rails.
It certainly seems to make sense in some areas, but I'm not sure how practical it is over an entire network, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure how well that is actually working, because friction from the wheels I would think would remove the vast majority of visible paint, with brake dust covering another large portion. I guess it could work for the sides, but the majority of lines don't get visible sunlight hitting the sides of rails.
It certainly seems to make sense in some areas, but I'm not sure how practical it is over an entire network, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.
The amount of surface area of a rail that actually sees contact is less than 10% of the whole of the rail - just a small portion of the top and inner face of the head. Brake dust (along with steel dust from the wheels and rails) may be a concern, but it doesn't seem to be for the concern for the purposes of the article.

Dan

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a feeling your avatar name is a play-on-words of your surname. That is really cool.

But back to stuff:

Its not an experiment, its used across europe for the last 20 years.

Its not a one time thing, they are painted daily during the heat wave. Theres a paint train that comes around and paints the tracks on hot days. Its not a permanent thing. Only when it gets hot. The paint is temporary.

Its similar to applying sunscreen when you go to the beach. Reapply!

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Its not a one time thing, they are painted daily during the heat wave. Theres a paint train that comes around and paints the tracks on hot days. Its not a permanent thing. Only when it gets hot. The paint is temporary.
Wow ... that's quite the operation.

Hopkins123

Member Bio
Reaction score

kEiThZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't think you've been following all the progress going on in Greater Montreal of late all that closely. Funding has been put forward:

Ottawa invests $2M to link REM with Dorval station

We wouldn't expect construction to start here prior to an EA process first, would we?
What EA? What you posted was a link for a feasibility study.

My broader question is why this station was never part of the original REM proposal to begin with.

Hopkins123

Member Bio
Reaction score
What EA? What you posted was a link for a feasibility study.

My broader question is why this station was never part of the original REM proposal to begin with.
Which is a key first step in any pathway to construction regardless. Perhaps I should have been more clear. You said initially that no money's been invested, I showed you that within the past two weeks it's actually happening. Surely the EA is to follow should they find it feasible.

And it's probably likely that the two were not going to be linked together as part of a non-compete clause with the Vaudreuil-Hudson commuter rail line. But that may no longer be the case now.

p_xavier

Member Bio
Reaction score
There was an EA process for the REM?

I'd missed that. Do you have the URL?