News   Nov 12, 2019
 963     4 
News   Nov 12, 2019
 1.4K     4 

Montréal Transit Developments

SFO-YYZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a bit of a different take on the REM, and after reading almost the whole thread i've noticed that noone has made it yet.

Many critics (and many @Urban Sky posts) have noted how the REM poorly serves suburban areas, and ignores parts of the city that would most benefit from greater service. That so much of the stations are surrounded by low value greyfield and industrial areas.

I think that's an asset, and a huge opportunity. My position is that a major design consideration of the entire project from the start of CDPQ's involvement has been catalyzing TOD construction. (or if you want to be cynical, real estate opportunities for Ivanhoé Cambridge )

We can look at stations like du Quartier, Panama, nuns island, Bassin peel, A40, Sources, Technoparc, Fairview and Kirkland. All of them have massive intensification and development potential.

If you think of the project more broadly in the scope of sustainable development, these areas will allow for many tens of thousands of new residential units, transit accessible retail and office spaces to be created, and greatly limit the need for future auto dependency in these areas (note how little new parking is planned around any of the stations, aside from the dix30 terminal). This is bolstered by the fact that Montreal's regional development plan (the PMAD) requires substantial increases in density and mixed uses in areas designated TOD. So there is less room for NIMBYism than normal.

My hope is that the REM will sow the seeds for a massive influx of affordable, accessible, sustainable suburban living that will be close enough to the city center to take a lot of the pressure off many currently gentrifying areas.

One of the greatest flaws i've seen in Toronto transit planning is how much the need for parking has destroyed the ability of stations to encourage development.

All those GO stations with those massive parking garages could have instead been massive new neighborhoods. As an ex student of York University, the new Subway stations are a massively underwhelming.

On the other hand I am very excited by Mississauga's Hurontario LRT and its integrated zoning and development plans.

As Nfitz has said, the south shore has been planning for rapid transit for 20 years now. Which is why the city of Brossard has a very aggressive development vision already signed and ready.

This video they made a few years ago is really exciting, and a template that I hope many other areas will copy:

It's an interesting take, and it probably wouldn't surprise anybody if that is indeed part of CDPQ's business case and long term objective for this project.

No way to tell until the dust settles - which should be fairly soon given the pace of construction in South Shore and West Island - we should be expecting at least 1 of the REM lines to be operational in the next 2-3 years.

nephersir7

Member Bio
Reaction score
https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreal-metro-system-getting-anti-suicide-barriers-at-13-stations

Last time I heard, Montreal STM is planning on installing platform doors across 13 stations on the Orange Line. I don't know how far along is the project, but they've budgeted it to be $10-15 per station.
The STM will launch the bidding process for platform screen doors in mid-2020.

Prototype doors will be installed and tested at an undisclosed orange line station throughout 2021-2022.

Afterwards, doors will be deployed to all the 30 other orange line stations between 2023 and 2026

The doors will be 2.5m high.

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
The STM will launch the bidding process for platform screen doors in mid-2020.

Prototype doors will be installed and tested at an undisclosed orange line station throughout 2021-2022.

Afterwards, doors will be deployed to all the 30 other orange line stations between 2023 and 2026

The doors will be 2.5m high.

I think PSD's are one of those things that snowballs. Look at Asia, they're at the point where even HSR lines have some kind of PSD's. Hopefully other cities in Canada follow suit, Ottawa Vancouver and Toronto I am looking at you.

Kyle Campbell

Member Bio
Reaction score

Coolstar

Member Bio
Reaction score
I think PSD's are one of those things that snowballs. Look at Asia, they're at the point where even HSR lines have some kind of PSD's. Hopefully other cities in Canada follow suit, Ottawa Vancouver and Toronto I am looking at you.
Let's hope they plan the Ontario Line with PSD's.

SFO-YYZ

Member Bio
Reaction score
About 25% of the West Island aerial structure is complete. It progresses about 3x40m sections for each of the launchers per week. Construction is ahead of schedule there. A video to put it in perspective.

Not surprising, given CPDQi's experience with Canada Line in Vancouver. Really reminds me of Vancouver Skytrain.

mdrejhon

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would have believed you if you told me it was the Skytrain in the City of Vancouver. But Montreal REM? Wow.

Heavens, CDPQi becomes one of the bidders of OL? What a thought! Perhaps we'll see some sudden hectic pace with Ontario Line. 2027 opening date could be realistic with that kind of construction speed. Technically, the REM technology would be within the Ontario Line's specifications. We want the bigger heavier trains, but if lighter trains are chosen anyway, then I would welcome this construction pace as a trade-off.

p_xavier

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would have believed you if you told me it was the Skytrain in the City of Vancouver. But Montreal REM? Wow.

Heavens, CDPQi becomes one of the bidders of OL? What a thought! Perhaps we'll see some sudden hectic pace with Ontario Line. 2027 opening date could be realistic with that kind of construction speed. Technically, the REM technology would be within the Ontario Line's specifications. We want the bigger heavier trains, but if lighter trains are chosen anyway, then I would welcome this construction pace as a trade-off.
There were talks between Québec's ex-PM Couillard, the CDPQi and the Wynne government at the time for transit lines but the Ontario government refused at the time. I wouldn't be surprised a bid from them. The CDPQI currently proposed a bid for a New-Zealand LRT project.

The project project goes up quickly because the REM is basically law: no city or citizen can challenge it. This probably be a requirement from the CDPQi if it bids on the Ontario line. That might not go well with the city of Toronto though...

5. The provisions of this Act take precedence over the provisions of any other Act.

Last edited:

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score
There were talks between Québec's ex-PM Couillard, the CDPQi and the Wynne government at the time for transit lines but the Ontario government refused at the time. I wouldn't be surprised a bid from them. The CDPQI currently proposed a bid for a New-Zealand LRT project.

The project project goes up quickly because the REM is basically law: no city or citizen can challenge it. This probably be a requirement from the CDPQi if it bids on the Ontario line. That might not go well with the city of Toronto though...

There is a bigger culture in Quebec for social progress than Ontario/Toronto. Less NIMBYISM more patriotism that favours the public good. "Vive Montréal ! Vive le Québec ! " Is a motto that really has weight, they want to be the best province in the country and so to be a NIMBY is seen as anti-quebec.