News   Mar 28, 2024
 5     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Montréal Transit Developments

Seems to work fine here ... have you observed real issues here without the one-person lines? Those who feel they need to get on first do so ... those that don't, don't. Some stand in shelter, some sit. Some are in shade. No one frets when the doors don't open in the expected spot. Some use the rear door ...
Well I guess if you just "decide" that you want to get on first - the people who can't 'decide' - elderly, small, meek.. I guess they'll just have to wait. Who cares who's been waiting the longest?

Amazing that you compare a positive (lining up like civilized people) and a negative (survival of the fittest) and somehow come to the conclusion - which is counter to the conclusion that 99% of most humans would come to - that mob scene is better!

Although it does fit with your boring, suburban, 30 years out of date, Angryphone narrative.

You never lived in Montreal, you lived in ultra-suburban, shithole Waste Island.

Listening to you talk about Montreal is like listening to a guy who lived in Oakville 30 years ago talking about what Toronto must be like today - based on his once every now and then visits (to his suburban roots).

You don't have a clue.

I think that most people here understand this.

Last edited:
That's just absurd ... I guess they are too busy passing laws so that only non-religious white people can wear head scarves!

Is that why Presto is so restricted for usage in Gatineau?
The Ford government, on the other hand...

They know the voters they have to cater to! Don't for a minute think that they give two sh*ts about minorities. You've seen them, how minority do they look to you?

These are people who were making paki jokes until the day that they decided to run for office and their advisor said "Cut the Paki jokes. Repeat after me: Diversity..."
Well I guess if you just "decide" that you want to get on first - the people who can't 'decide' - elderly, small, meek.. I guess they'll just have to wait. Who cares who's been waiting the longest?

Amazing that you compare a positive (lining up like civilized people) and a negative (survival of the fittest) and somehow come to the conclusion - which is counter to the conclusion that 99% of most humans would come to - that mob scene is better!

Although it does fit with your boring, suburban, 30 years out of date, Angryphone narrative.

You never lived in Montreal, you lived in ultra-suburban, shithole Waste Island.

Listening to you talk about Montreal is like listening to a guy who lived in Oakville 30 years ago talking about what Toronto must be like today - based on his once every now and then visits (to his suburban roots).

You don't have a clue.

I think that most people here understand this.
And this as foreseeable as heated off-topic discussion, dear @interchange42, is exactly the reason why I reported nfitz's original post, because it doesn't serve any other purpose than derailing the discussions here, and as every time I reported a comment from him, you and your team didn't even bother to reply. I don't know why it is so difficult for your team to intervene if the offender is @nfitz, while it is so easy if it is anyone else, but it really doesn't help my impression that @nfitz is more equal than other members - and this kind of apparent bias makes this forum so incredibly frustrating to me. So please stop doing your job (as a team of admins and moderators) so selectively and start "moderating" reported interpersonal conflicts with @nfitz before they escalate!

Thank you!

PS: this post is already archived

Last edited:
I think you may have misread my earlier comment - I said I briefly commuted TO suburban Pointe Claire/Beaconsfield not FROM suburbia! As I've noted elsewhere, I lived near downtown - close enough that I could walk when the buses were on strike (as they frequently were for weeks on end).

While I must say, that after years of living downtown, that I did find suburbia rather surprising, and disturbingly anglo ... I don't think calling it "shithole Waste Island" is appropriate.

I'm also unsettled that personal attacks are being allowed here, simply because people disagree with me about queuing! Please remain civil.

I think you may have misread my earlier comment - I said I briefly commuted TO suburban Pointe Claire/Beaconsfield not FROM suburbia! As I've noted elsewhere, I lived near downtown - close enough that I could walk when the buses were on strike (as they frequently were for weeks on end).

While I must say, that after years of living downtown, that I did find suburbia rather surprising, and disturbingly anglo ... I don't think calling it "shithole Waste Island" is appropriate.

I'm also unsettled that personal attacks are being allowed here, simply because people disagree with me about queuing! Please remain civil.

I think it is fair to say though that you are being a bit overly critical of Montreal and its recent boom of rapid transit progress relative to Toronto's. I think that's what being attacked here, not you personally.

On a change of pace in these parts. I am super disappointed at learning that REM doesn't go to Dorval station. That seems like someone screwed up. VIA station there. Exo station there. Lots of area commuters. And yet they terminated a few hundred meters short.

On a change of pace in these parts. I am super disappointed at learning that REM doesn't go to Dorval station. That seems like someone screwed up. VIA station there. Exo station there. Lots of area commuters. And yet they terminated a few hundred meters short.
The mayor agrees with you and is not happy, calling the extra 700 metres a "no-brainer".

I think it is fair to say though that you are being a bit overly critical of Montreal and its recent boom of rapid transit progress relative to Toronto's. I think that's what being attacked here, not you personally.
I've been far softer on the REM than many here. I've countered particular points that didn't seem correct. I've been very positive about the integrated STM/EXO fares, that have existed for decades - and are far better fare integration (and pricing) than we see in Toronto ... no one jumps down my throat when I trash Presto and Metrolinx in this thread!

Nor do people start using swear words and bullying when I criticize the Ottawa LRT, or the Waterloo ION (particularly the bizarre station locations and configurations).

Criticizing poor government policy or transit should never be accompanied by personal attacks.

There's been active plans since November 2018 to link the REM to Dorval Station. Link below:

Plus also there's the possibility of linking the proposed Lachine Pink Line tramway to Dorval and PETA in the future for even more interconnectivity.

The mayor agrees with you and is not happy, calling the extra 700 metres a "no-brainer".

I've been far softer on the REM than some here, even calling the metro-like service from Bois-Franc to Central "brilliant". I've countered particular points that didn't seem correct. I've been very positive about the integrated STM/EXO fares, that have existed for decades - and are far better fare integration (and pricing) than we see in Toronto ... though I fear that the Caisse's need for profit is going to erode this.

No one jumps down my throat when I trash Presto and Metrolinx in this thread! Nor do people start using swear words and bullying when I criticize the Ottawa LRT, or the Waterloo ION (particularly the bizarre station locations and configurations) in those threads.

Criticizing poor government policy or transit should never be met by personal attacks. And I try and resist the temptation to attack the poster, rather than concept. And yet I've been met with name-calling, prejudiced comments about where people wrongly think I lived, with one person even asking for my ethnicity, so that they could focus attacks on the policies of those with that ethnicity! My gosh ... I live in Toronto ... as if there's not enough anti-transit and backwards policies of my Mayor and Premier to pick on.

For those that want to attack the poor policies of places where I live or lived. Please do (and that's not because I likely agree with you) ... but perhaps find an appropriate thread?

Last edited:

As far as it concerns myself, this is only half-right: we indeed keep clashing because of him being "overly critical of Montreal" (by compulsively starting discussions, which are completely irrelevant to this thread, and often the entire forum), but certainly not because of his criticism of "its recent boom of rapid transit progress relative to Toronto's" (which is exactly at the heart of what this thread is about). Unfortunately, it seems like I have to start insulting the mods and admins before they can finally be bothered to intervene...^^

No one jumps down my throat when I trash Presto and Metrolinx in this thread! Nor do people start using swear words and bullying when I criticize the Ottawa LRT, or the Waterloo ION (particularly the bizarre station locations and configurations) in those threads.
As far as we two are concerned: why don't you just cut out your completely off-topic "trashing"?

Last edited:
One nice feature of the stations on the Canada Line (they don't have many), is that they are designed to be passively cooled. Even on a hot day the platform level is quite cool.

With the climate discussion, one of my bigger concerns is sun kinks. Southern Ontario and Quebec have some of the widest temperature variations for major cities in the world from what I can tell and I think that moving rails out of direct sunlight is something we will need to consider more and more.

We can also paint the rails white like they do in the UK and Australia to deal with sun kinks.

White reflects the most sunlight and apparently its quite effective at stopping sun kinks

(mine is Germany and can be found with three clicks by clicking on my user name, the “About” section and my LinkedIn profile I have included as “website”)
I have a feeling your avatar name is a play-on-words of your surname. That is really cool.

But back to stuff:
We can also paint the rails white like they do in the UK and Australia to deal with sun kinks.

White reflects the most sunlight and apparently its quite effective at stopping sun kinks

I'm not entirely sure how well that is actually working, because friction from the wheels I would think would remove the vast majority of visible paint, with brake dust covering another large portion. I guess it could work for the sides, but the majority of lines don't get visible sunlight hitting the sides of rails.
It certainly seems to make sense in some areas, but I'm not sure how practical it is over an entire network, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.

I'm not entirely sure how well that is actually working, because friction from the wheels I would think would remove the vast majority of visible paint, with brake dust covering another large portion. I guess it could work for the sides, but the majority of lines don't get visible sunlight hitting the sides of rails.
It certainly seems to make sense in some areas, but I'm not sure how practical it is over an entire network, but it's an interesting experiment nonetheless.

The amount of surface area of a rail that actually sees contact is less than 10% of the whole of the rail - just a small portion of the top and inner face of the head. Brake dust (along with steel dust from the wheels and rails) may be a concern, but it doesn't seem to be for the concern for the purposes of the article.

Dan

I have a feeling your avatar name is a play-on-words of your surname. That is really cool.

But back to stuff:

Its not an experiment, its used across europe for the last 20 years.

Its not a one time thing, they are painted daily during the heat wave. Theres a paint train that comes around and paints the tracks on hot days. Its not a permanent thing. Only when it gets hot. The paint is temporary.

Its similar to applying sunscreen when you go to the beach. Reapply!

Back