News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 950     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Can this thread be finally renamed to Montreal Transit Developments...

It won't cost anywhere near as much in Montreal than Toronto.

In Toronto the platform sticks out over a crawl-space that's can be used refuge for people on the tracks to avoid getting hit by a train.This causes a big structural problem with doors, as the platform isn't designed to handle very much weight in that location.

If you look at the Montreal platforms, there's barely any overhang - less than the yellow strip. Presumably sticking doors just back from the edge won't require that the platforms be reinforced first.
There will be the need for some strenghtening for the same reasons you mention for Toronto. The major issue will be the vaulted ceilling maintenance and the modifications required for the ventilation systems. Such doors really change the air flow in the stations.

Wait I don't get it. Exactly how does this benefit Montreal, by removing its federal transit funding to Quebec City, and then having the province "pay back" Montreal in the future? Can't MTL just use the money it has now and get planning work started on the Ligne Rose?

Also, I don't see anywhere on the news mention "platform doors on ALL orange line stations" - only that STM announced a pilot study to install doors on some of the stations, not all. Citation please? Further, wouldn't this require significant sources of funding as these aren't exactly cheap?
Québec City would have to wait many more years for the next round of federal funding. Projects in Montréal are not shovel ready, so the city can wait a few other years to get the funding in lieu.

Yes it's signifiant, it's planned for all stations as the blue line extension will make platforms dangerous with overcrowding. The funding was announced for a pilot, but it is planned for all stations. The costing is underway.

There will be the need for some strenghtening for the same reasons you mention for Toronto. The major issue will be the vaulted ceilling maintenance and the modifications required for the ventilation systems. Such doors really change the air flow in the stations.
Only if you run the gates all the way to the ceiling. I don't see that they need to be any higher than about 1.5 to 2 metres.

Though the wind and suction in the Montreal system is much different than Toronto - there don't seem to be anywhere near as many ventilation points ... and you certainly don't have the problems in Toronto with station doors that you get in Montreal ... nor do you see all the vents in the sidewalk on each side of stations.

Here's a map of the new transit line (again REM or LRT will be decided next year by the CDPQi). The white lines are the first phase of the new "pink line" project, the remainder of the pink line will be an extension of the first phase. From gabmtl on mtlurb

It's only two branches East? The REM phase 1 is also three branches West and one South though.
You said the white lines are are the first phase of the new "pink line" project ... with the remainder (the two pink legs) being later. That would give you four legs, looking at that figure.

Population density is much higher in the eastern half of the island
I know ... but more legs gives you less frequent service. If all service runs through, then you have more frequent service where there's one left, in the west.

You said the white lines are are the first phase of the new "pink line" project ... with the remainder (the two pink legs) being later. That would give you four legs, looking at that figure.

I know ... but more legs gives you less frequent service. If all service runs through, then you have more frequent service where there's one left, in the west.
Ah, I can see the confusion now. The East part of the original pink line is not in scope, the QC government has refused to finance or study the diagonal branch because of costs. It would in theory be replace by the two other branches in white.

Ah, I can see the confusion now. The East part of the original pink line is not in scope, the QC government has refused to finance or study the diagonal branch because of costs. It would in theory be replace by the two other branches in white.

The "Tramway de l'Est" (which could be a LRT or REM, we don't know yet) and the diagonal pink line are two separate projects. It's the western branch of the pink line that they decided to merge with the Tramway de l'Est.

The city of Montreal is conducting separate studies to determine if the diagonal line is justified, and what the cost would be. The mayor is hoping that these studies will eventually convince the government to proceed with the diagonal line too.

Last edited:
Not sure why it's called Pink line then ... those two white tram branches have been studied before ... and the west branch seems to be aspirational.

Who's financing/building the Lachine tramway? CDPQi? Is that what the QC government is now promising to finance now that MTL is giving out $800 million to the Quebec City tramway? I'm confused.

Hopefully the mayor keeps pushing for the diagonal portion of the pink line (as a full metro). Really a shame how politically difficult it is to get subway projects built.

Back