News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 948     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

So the Québec government and the city of Montréal announced this morning that Montréal will forego 800M$ of its transit financing for the Québec City streetcar.

Actually, Quebec City is building a LRT, not a streetcar (although sometimes the difference between the two can be unclear).

The Quebec City project is similar to the Eglinton Crosstown LRT ; it will not mix with traffic, except possibly for a short stretch on René-Levesque west of Cartier. It'll have it own RoW everywhere else.

Last edited:
Actually, Quebec City is building a LRT, not a streetcar. It will not mix with traffic, except possibly for a short stretch on René-Levesque west of Cartier. Elsewhere it will have it own RoW. It's similar to the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.
I don't stand corrected, it's a streetcar. Stops are close between each other too. Nowhere near average Canadian LRT lines. Think of the 510 on Spadina and not Eglinton Crosstown.

Last edited:
I don't stand corrected, it's a streetcar. Stops are close between each other too. Nowhere near average Canadian LRT lines. Think of the 510 on Spadina and not Eglinton Crosstown.

Quebec City
System length : 23km
Number of stations : 35
One station every 660m

Eglinton Crosstown LRT
System length : 19km
Number of stations : 25
One station every 760m

The difference in station spacing doesn't look dramatic to me. So you'd call the Eglinton Crosstown LRT a streetcar?

Quebec City
One station every 660m

Eglinton Crosstown LRT
One station every 760m

The difference in station spacing doesn't look dramatic to me. So you'd call the Eglinton Crosstown LRT a streetcar?
Finch West LRT is probably a better example, without the longer subway segments between underground stations on Eglinton. Finch has 18 stops on the 10.4 km route, a spacing of about 610 metres between stations. The proposed 6.3 km extension to Yonge adds 11 stops (a 575 metre spacing on the extension) bringing the entire line to about a 600 metre spacing.

If one does look at Eglinton, one should look at the 5.2 km 9-stop surface piece from Aga Khan Park & Museum stop to Ionview stop - an average spacing of 650 metres.

From a Toronto perspective, it seems odd to call a system a streetcar that has a spacing wider than both the Line 5 and Line 6 surface LRT!

Quebec City
One station every 660m

Eglinton Crosstown LRT
One station every 760m

Glorified streetcar maybe but it doesn't share ROW with cars no?

You mean the .1% of the population who argue incessantly on these fetish sites?

I'm talking about the 99.9% - the rest of the population.

I never hear these 'deep' discussions in my daily life.

As long as QC can get shovels in the ground and get it built, I for one could care less if it's LRT, streetcar, glorified streetcar, monorail, Maglev, anything really. Maybe it's a symptom of the Ford eras, but people in TO seem to have a fetish for the never ending streetcar/LRT/subway debates.

So the Québec government and the city of Montréal announced this morning that Montréal will forego 800M$ of its transit financing for the Québec City streetcar. In return, the 800M$ will be paid back in the next transit financing plan. The amount will go towards the construction to the Lasalle Lachine-Downtown part of the Pink Line which will connect to the East Island new LRT or REM system.

Other recent news :
New CBCT communication system on the blue line
Platform screen doors on all orange line stations
Québec's government's green fund to be converted to an electric transportation fund to finance new transit projects

Wait I don't get it. Exactly how does this benefit Montreal, by removing its federal transit funding to Quebec City, and then having the province "pay back" Montreal in the future? Can't MTL just use the money it has now and get planning work started on the Ligne Rose?

Also, I don't see anywhere on the news mention "platform doors on ALL orange line stations" - only that STM announced a pilot study to install doors on some of the stations, not all. Citation please? Further, wouldn't this require significant sources of funding as these aren't exactly cheap?

Further, wouldn't this require significant sources of funding as these aren't exactly cheap?
It won't cost anywhere near as much in Montreal than Toronto.

In Toronto the platform sticks out over a crawl-space that's can be used refuge for people on the tracks to avoid getting hit by a train.This causes a big structural problem with doors, as the platform isn't designed to handle very much weight in that location.

If you look at the Montreal platforms, there's barely any overhang - less than the yellow strip. Presumably sticking doors just back from the edge won't require that the platforms be reinforced first.

It won't cost anywhere near as much in Montreal than Toronto.

In Toronto the platform sticks out over a crawl-space that's can be used refuge for people on the tracks to avoid getting hit by a train.This causes a big structural problem with doors, as the platform isn't designed to handle very much weight in that location.

And you can double down on the platform adjustment problem when you realize some likely contain asbestos.

Last edited:

Back