News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

miWay Transit

A few minor improvements, but not great with all the cuts over the past 2-3 years. Every 23 minutes is a joke because of the dumb non-clockface schedule - it should be every 20 minutes. It need not be an entire extra bus either - interlining at the terminals can rationalize buses based on running times yet still offering schedules that make sense.

I don't understand the point of route 101. It runs rush-hour only, which is strike one. Cutting it over the summer also doesn't do much to build ridership. How can people rely on a bus that way?

I don't dream of 23 minute frequencies - they are just not user friendly at all.

A few minor improvements, but not great with all the cuts over the past 2-3 years. Every 23 minutes is a joke because of the dumb non-clockface schedule - it should be every 20 minutes. It need not be an entire extra bus either - interlining at the terminals can rationalize buses based on running times yet still offering schedules that make sense.

I don't understand the point of route 101. It runs rush-hour only, which is strike one. Cutting it over the summer also doesn't do much to build ridership. How can people rely on a bus that way?

I don't dream of 23 minute frequencies - they are just not user friendly at all.

Do any MT routes have clock-face frequency?

23 minutes is okay imo, especially if capacity is an issue. With high enough frequency people don't need the schedule. Most people using MT don't pay attention to schedule anyway.

Most TTC routes don't operate at clock face either. For example, looking at TTC site, I see 9 Bellamy has 22 minute intervales, 14 Glencairn has 24 minute intervals, 15 Evan has 22 minute intervales, 17 Birchmount has 22 minute intervals...

I can see the point of clockface frequencies at near 30 minutes or worse. But I don't think it is necessary once you start approaching 20 minutes or better.

Interline the 11 with other Islington is probably not a good idea because its buses are from the Malton garage while the rest of the routes use buses from the Central garage.

They are cutting west of Vega only. But yeah it should have an all-day, everydays route to begin with.

It would be worth watching Mississauga Transit over the next few months. I do quickly browse CPTDB once in a while, only because once in a while they break news before anyone else, and found pictures of new MT buses arriving, new-generation Orion VIIs (almost ten years after MT bought any Orions).

The paint scheme for the new buses is very different - I saw a posted picture of a new "local" bus which looks very similar to a Los Angeles Metro "local bus", with a lot more orange in an orange-and-white "swoosh" scheme. The express routes (100 series) look like they will be branded differently from the local buses, called "Blueline", and the buses will be blue and white in the same pattern as the orange buses.

It also looks like the decades-old "double-diamond" logo is being phased out in favour of a new simple logo and name - ready for this? - Mi Way. (with supplementary branding like "Mi route, mi ride..."

Perhaps MT is building up to a reasonable increase in service for the fall. Or could just be more branding and rearranging deck chairs than tangable improvements. I really want to see more of the express/"Blueline" routes run more than just rush hours.

(Unfortunately, registration is required to view these links)
http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=739&st=3640 (last post on this page to see the pics)
http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=739&st=3680

Last edited:
It would be worth watching Mississauga Transit over the next few months. I do quickly browse CPTDB once in a while, only because once in a while they break news before anyone else, and found pictures of new MT buses arriving, new-generation Orion VIIs (almost ten years after MT bought any Orions).

The paint scheme for the new buses is very different - I saw a posted picture of a new "local" bus which looks very similar to a Los Angeles Metro "local bus", with a lot more orange in an orange-and-white "swoosh" scheme. The express routes (100 series) look like they will be branded differently from the local buses, called "Blueline", and the buses will be blue and white in the same pattern as the orange buses.

It also looks like the decades-old "double-diamond" logo is being phased out in favour of a new simple logo and name - ready for this? - Mi Way. (with supplementary branding like "Mi route, mi ride..."

Perhaps MT is building up to a reasonable increase in service for the fall. Or could just be more branding and rearranging deck chairs than tangable improvements. I really want to see more of the express/"Blueline" routes run more than just rush hours.

(Unfortunately, registration is required to view these links)
http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=739&st=3640 (last post on this page to see the pics)
http://www.cptdb.ca/index.php?showtopic=739&st=3680

Very interesting.

Could you re-host the images, giving credit and a link to the original source? That would be really helpful.

I'm not going to sign up for CPTDB. I'm just... not ready for that kind of commitment, ok?

Don't blame you - there's some rare gems on CPTDB, but it can require a lot of navigation through, er, foam.

index.php

mississaugaBRT2.jpg

(posted by "1043" at CPTSB)

'Foam' is putting it mildly...

And I'm going to go on record and say that I like the orange and the double diamond. Brings back memories of living near Lisgar station when I was young.

I used to visit CPTDB as often as UT/SSC, but their level of transit fanning is just out there. I do get excited about new buses, I admit. And tracking down all the new buses could be kinda exciting. But they also keep track of their license plate numbers. And which bus is at wihich garage (Central or Malton, e.g.) and I just wanna say, who the hell cares! lol

How'd we end up getting Orions again anyway? Lowest bidder I guess.

Last edited:
The double diamond logo is classic and timeless. Not quite the same level as say the CN "noodle" but good nonetheless. In related news, the STM in Montreal seems to be de-emphasizing the wonderful circle-T logo that dates back to the late Montreal Tramways days (about 1950) in favour of the blue and yellow >> logo with the new "transport collectif" colour scheme.

The new "Mi Way" logo looks to me like that of the Food (Cable TV) Network. And the colour scheme for "Blueline" looks a lot like that of neighbouring Oakville.

And Brampton has of course got rid of the "lazy-b" 10 years ago now, finally replacing it with a Greyhoundish swoosh. Not that the "lazy-b" was the greatest logo, but at least it was a logo.

Last edited:
Meh I can do without the double diamond logo. It's too bad the new one is even less inspiring.

Some of the CPTDB members can aspire to be really good investigative journalists. I liked the old Brampton, and 'Sauag logos, but the logos WERE kind of boring, reminded me of the era where only teens, the old, and "losers" took transit. I am glad agencies are taking an effort to spruce up their image a bit.

An operator for Mississauga on the CPTDB snapped some photos of the articulated BlueLine buses on his mobile phone. They should be viewable here without an acount or being signed in.

Some features of these buses include passenger reading lights, power sockets, and new seating moquette.

It is true that double diamond would be more fitting that ever with two separate brands. The new logos should be single diamonds instead of the slanted ovals.

From Mississauga website:

City of Mississauga to Launch New Visual Identity for Transit Service

Jul 29, 2010

The City of Mississauga's new visual identity for local and express transit service – driven by the coming Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Project service improvements – will be presented at the August 4th meeting of Council.

What:
Geoff Marinoff, director of Transit and Terry Dubois, manager of Transit Marketing will present plans for a communication campaign to educate current and potential transit riders about the system’s two service options.

A new rapid transit bus for express service, as well as a new hybrid bus for local service, will be on site at the Mississauga Civic Centre for photo opportunities.

When:
August 4, 2010
After 9 a.m.

Where:
Mississauga Civic Centre
Council Chamber
300 City Centre Drive
Mississauga, Ontario
(Duke of York and Burnhamthorpe Road)

As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 730,000 residents and 55,000 businesses, including 61 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is one of Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers for 2010. Enhancing its citizens' quality of life by providing superior services, revitalizing its infrastructure and conserving the environment, Mississauga is committed to innovation, operational excellence and fiscal responsibility which is reflected in its motto: "Leading Today for Tomorrow."

Sad Mississauga going this route.

So route 101 is "Express" but route 201 is "Local". Both are limited stop routes. But one route will have have blue buses and the other will have regular orange buses. What is the sense in that? Just pointless branding that is out of touch with riders, just like VIVA.

Back