News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 381     0 

miWay Transit

Another advertising initiative. Great... just what transit needs. I wonder how many people don't take transit because of bus colours and fare mechanisms.

You would be surprised. I remember when VIVA started service, people were talking about how "blue the buses were"

I doubt most people care what the buses look like.

I'll miss the white and orange.

We will still have white and orange. The blue is only for express routes. Local service will be using the same style, but in orange and white instead of blue and white.

I don't see what all the fuss about branding two different types of services is for. As if someone is going to stop taking transit because some buses are blue... (Makes it easier to spot and differentiate express buses)

We will still have white and orange. The blue is only for express routes. Local service will be using the same style, but in orange and white instead of blue and white.

I don't see what all the fuss about branding two different types of services is for. As if someone is going to stop taking transit because some buses are blue...

I don't recall anyone saying that people are going to stop taking taking transit because some buses are blue.

The only claim is that people will start taking transit because some buses are blue.

(Makes it easier to spot and differentiate express buses)

Except that not all express buses are blue. The 201 and 202 are express routes but they will not have blue buses. They are not even designated as "Express" anymore, even though they are technically express routes.

Some express routes will be "Mi Express", some express routes will be "Mi Local." It doesn't make much sense to me.

You would be surprised. I remember when VIVA started service, people were talking about how "blue the buses were"

Yeah VIVA got people talking. Too bad it didn't get people to ride the bus in York Region. York Region actually saw reduced ridership growth after VIVA (2006 ridership was 2 million less than was projected) and overall service still pales in comparison to either Mississauga or Brampton.

If MT wants to increase ridership, perhaps they should concentrate less on branding and more on improving the off-peak service, because using articulated buses to provide 33 minute frequency along Burnhamthorpe on Sunday is kind of lame, you know?

Starting this fall, with their planned service improvements, Brampton will have better transit service on Sunday than Mississauga. That's just shameful.

New BRT bus and hybrid
20100803a045.jpg

20100803a046.jpg

20100803a048.jpg

20100803a049.jpg

[video=youtube;1GgbBciBCLQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgbBciBCLQ[/video]
l

DRUM! :D

Great to see you posting! There have been many posts in several thread lamenting your absence!

Jasonized:

Great update, as usual.

The Orion VII seat layout at the back seems to have been modified. That's good. The inside of the new artic seems pretty much the same as the current artic, but maybe that a good thing. I can't believe the windows look exactly the same on the inside as the old buses do though. They look so sleek on the outside, so ho hum on the inside.

DRUM! :D

Great to see you posting! There have been many posts in several thread lamenting your absence!

Jasonized:

Great update, as usual.

I bit off more than I can chew this year both personal and busines. I still shoot, but not as much as last year, but cannot find the time to post them.

Hope to change that next month.

Last edited:
Impressive stuff! Thanks for the pics Jason and drum! Always enjoy the sight of new buses on the road... only thing is, we've got to get these bad boys running all day on corridors like Hurontario and Dundas.

^np

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/City-of-Mississauga-Launches-MiWay-the-New-Mississauga-Transit-1300071.htm

Aug 04, 2010 13:19 ET
City of Mississauga Launches MiWay-the New Mississauga Transit

MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Aug. 4, 2010) - MiWay, the City of Mississauga's new brand for transit service – driven by the coming Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Project service improvements – was presented at today's Council meeting.

"Starting October 4th, 42 new express buses with the new identity and blue colour will serve passengers traveling on our current network of five express routes that extends across the city and connects to many popular destinations including the Islington Subway Station, Westwood Mall, Meadowvale Town Centre, City Centre Transit Terminal, Clarkson GO Station, University of Toronto Mississauga campus and the Airport Corporate Centre," said Geoff Marinoff, director of Transit. "In addition to frequent service during the morning and evening rush hours, customers can enjoy more comfortable seating, reading lights, power outlets for laptops and larger windows when they choose express service on MiWay – the new Mississauga Transit."

Customers can choose from two types of MiWay service: MiExpress for express travel on blue buses, and MiLocal for local travel on orange buses. When the BRT Project is operational in 2013, more express service is planned to help reduce passenger travel times and enhance schedule reliability, since trips on Mississauga's BRT corridor are less likely to be affected by traffic congestion, explained Marinoff.

"Mississauga's transit system is changing to better serve those who live and work in the city," said Marinoff. "Our new brand represents a customer-focused approach to grow ridership. This is the beginning of an ongoing journey to continually enhance the value we deliver to our existing customers and to earn the business of new riders."

The BRT Project is a high-efficiency transit corridor running east-west across Mississauga. The BRT Project will support all-station stop and extensive express bus service for thousands of riders per day, making it faster and easier for passengers to travel to, from and through Mississauga and the GTA. Visit www.mississauga.ca/brt for station locations and design plans.

A communication campaign to educate current and potential transit riders about the two types of MiWay service will occur in August and continue into the fall. The new brand identity is one of many recent investments in the transit system to help the organization deliver excellent customer service to those who choose MiWay, explained Marinoff.

These recent investments in transit include:

* Additional buses and service hours.
* The newly expanded Central Parkway Transit Campus with new Bus Storage and Repair Garages to support ridership growth was officially opened in June 2009.
* Automated next stop announcements are currently being tested on Route 19-Hurontario buses to help passengers of all ages and abilities.
* Mississauga is participating in the Presto fare card project. Visit www.prestocard.ca for details.
* A new website with improved functionality will launch in September 2010.

The MiExpress and MiLocal paint schemes will replace the existing design on buses over time as buses complete their planned service lifecycles. Once Mississauga's BRT is completed, both orange and blue MiWay buses will travel on the corridor to optimize route and system efficiencies as well as connections with other transit networks, explained Marinoff.
As Canada's sixth largest city, Mississauga is home to 730,000 residents and 55,000 businesses, including 61 Fortune 500 companies with Canadian head offices or major divisional head offices. A diverse, progressive and award-winning municipality located on the shores of Lake Ontario in the heart of the Greater Toronto Area, Mississauga is one of Greater Toronto's Top 90 Employers for 2010. Enhancing its citizens' quality of life by providing superior services, revitalizing its infrastructure and conserving the environment, Mississauga is committed to innovation, operational excellence and fiscal responsibility which is reflected in its motto: "Leading Today for Tomorrow."

To view a picture of the New MiWay Buses, please visit the following link: http://media3.marketwire.com/docs/MiWayBuses_LAC.jpg.

To view the MiWay Logo, please visit the following link: http://media3.marketwire.com/docs/MiWayLogo.jpg.

To view the Fact Sheet, please visit the following link: http://media3.marketwire.com/docs/MFactSheet.pdf.

To view a picture of the Vintage Bus, please visit the following link: http://media3.marketwire.com/docs/Vintage_BUS.jpg.

Impressive stuff! Thanks for the pics Jason and drum! Always enjoy the sight of new buses on the road... only thing is, we've got to get these bad boys running all day on corridors like Hurontario and Dundas.

The 110 is the only 100 route that needs articulated buses, so most likely you will see them running all day on the regular routes, along Hurontario and Dundas. And also Burnhamthorpe and Dixie.

Back