News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 614     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I don't know how this would affect the hydro situation, but wouldn't it be a fascinating tourist draw to turn off both Falls for a weekend once a year?

From the looks of the site, it would also affect the physical and geological situation as well to have such ordinarily immersed rock exposed for any significant interval...

downtown pasture

Mustapha's photo reminded me of this one (2004).

Attachments

• City Pasture.jpg
    City Pasture.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 537
Love it!

From what I understand, after the 'shutoff', the engineers realized they couldn't do much about the erosion and falling rock, so they turned the Falls back 'on' again.

I don't know how this would affect the hydro situation, but wouldn't it be a fascinating tourist draw to turn off both Falls for a weekend once a year?

Yes, I remember reading that the engineers turned off the American Falls so that they could get rid of the rocks and eroded material that diminished the esthetic beauty of the falls due to the shorter water drop. The engineers soon relized that the rock and such actually stabilized the escarpment face in that area. :D

ps.... I love this thread and all the other Toronto history threads.... I am continually showing my students this thread.... they especially love the Unique Houses of Toronto thread.:)

Yes, I remember reading that the engineers turned off the American Falls so that they could get rid of the rocks and eroded material that diminished the esthetic beauty of the falls due to the shorter water drop...

That must be why the U.S. State Department had to put a picture of the Canadian falls on their 'Welcome: Portraits of America' video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_MBtLB5d5k

I rather they shut down the hydro plants once a year so we could see the falls in its full glory.

This thread is absolutely stunning. I spent hours on it last night marveling. Great work Mustapha and all. I had Music from the Twilight Zone playing and it gave it an other worldly feel too.

But amazing stuff!

Welcome spasongs. I play a Karen Carpenter CD. A slightly different other worldly feel. :)

Yes, I remember reading that the engineers turned off the American Falls so that they could get rid of the rocks and eroded material that diminished the esthetic beauty of the falls due to the shorter water drop. The engineers soon relized that the rock and such actually stabilized the escarpment face in that area. :D

ps.... I love this thread and all the other Toronto history threads.... I am continually showing my students this thread.... they especially love the Unique Houses of Toronto thread.:)

Hi. Welcome paco_santos and students to our little Urban Toronto hangout. Any and all student suggestions appreciated.

September 19 addition; a day late - sorry.

Hey boys and girls, it's back-in-time menu night. Imagine your spending power with the money you make now if meal prices like these prices were still effective.:)

Sea Hi Restaurant. Former 182 Dundas W. location in July 2009.

DSCF1139.jpg

Existing 3645 Bathurst Street location.

DSCF1982.jpg

DSCF1020.jpg

DSCF1021.jpg

DSCF1022.jpg

September 20th addition.

Wellington and Bay NW corner. Then: c1964? I'm going by the Corvair in the picture... I'm sure LIMike will be along shortly.

fo0124_f0124_fl0001_id0128.jpg

Now: August 2009.

DSCF1079.jpg

Ah yes, The Cork Room; I used to meet my lawyer (David Rose) there for drinks. ('70's)

He, the hard stuff, Coca-cola for me. If I remember correctly, Mike or Nick was the host.

(Really like the Olds behind the Corvair!)

Regards,
J T

Could someone please bring me up to date? When did the Toronto Stock Exchange get wrapped 'round by Ernst & Young? And where does the TSE hang out these days?

My first summer job was in the Statistical Dept of the Stock Exchange back in 1955. Down in the basement where there was air con but no windows. The following year we moved to an upper floor of the building beside the Cork Room. It helped to know when it was raining before we went outside at lunchtime.

Could someone please bring me up to date? When did the Toronto Stock Exchange get wrapped 'round by Ernst & Young? And where does the TSE hang out these days?

TSX moved to the Exchange Tower at York + King in the early 80s (the trading floor closed in 1997 as it went all-electronic); Ernst & Young was wrapped around the old building (which became the Design Exchange) a decade later...

Ah yes, The Cork Room; I used to meet my lawyer (David Rose) there for drinks. ('70's)
He, the hard stuff, Coca-cola for me. If I remember correctly, Mike or Nick was the host.
(Really like the Olds behind the Corvair!)
Regards,
J T

We have really lost all of our old school style downtown - for me that's dating to the 60s - drinking establishments haven't we? Silver Rail lasted waaaa-y longer than anyone could have reasonably expected.

Wow, you couldn't distill your own for that. :)

Bay Street got some nice new buildings but certainly lost a lot of soul in the process.

I'm not a Montreal expert, but it seems to me in my all too brief visits there that that city's central business district has escaped what happened here in the 60s and 70s.

September 21 addition.

Front looking E from Bay.

Then: May 13, 1911.

fo1231_f1231_it1811.jpg

Now: August 2009.

DSCF1083.jpg

hey UT world,

short time lurker, first time poster... :cool:

i have thoroughly enjoyed the now/then thread so i figured i would take advantage of the awesome weather yesterday to take some photo's of my own. i apologize for the tree in my way at king and river but it was best spot i could get to...

i'll do my best to get out and take some more pics and will post them as i do.

later!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Broadview Eastern Ave (2).jpg
    Broadview Eastern Ave (2).jpg
    121 KB · Views: 656
  • DSCN2315 (2).jpg
    DSCN2315 (2).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 641
  • King Queen Bridge 2.jpg
    King Queen Bridge 2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 658
  • DSCN2314 2.jpg
    DSCN2314 2.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 650
  • King Queen River Sts 2.jpg
    King Queen River Sts 2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 741
  • DSCN2311 2.jpg
    DSCN2311 2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 746
Last edited:
I wonder how many of us had a BeavisButthead reaction to that wall ad for rubbers...no, not those kinds of "rubbers"...

Back