News   Jul 09, 2024
 345     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 486     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Here's a "now & then" of Bloor from the Park Plaza, scanned from a Globe article early '70's. showing Holt Renfrew (no apostrpohe or S) in it's original Bloor Street location. The "then" shot is probably 1950's.

2007-09-07-2024-43_edited.jpg

2007-09-07-2017-00_edited.jpg

Early 50s, at that--sometime after the University was built and before Holt Renfrew moved here c1955. (It's hard to discern the status of the Yonge subway, or its streetcar traffic islands.)

Interesting to note that the corpus of the c1955 Holts is still evident in the side wall of the ex-Famous Players building. Oh, and I miss the Britannica House lettering...

I certainly agree with "Long Island Mike" that dated photographs add significantly to our understanding of history. Let's try to add dates whenever possible.
In fact, the date of our 'Now' photos will also be puzzling in the future - 10, 20 or 30 years down the road.

Strangely, I've been remiss - actually, I hadn't even thought about it when I started out in this little online hobby - in not noting the date of the 'Now' photos. They are generally taken about 2 weeks before I post them here.:eek: Goldie, LIMike, I'll try my best in future.

August 28 addition.

Bathurst looking N towards Queen.

ser71_s0071_it11082.jpg

DSCF0918-2.jpg

Last edited:
Strangely, I've been remiss - actually, I hadn't even thought about it when I started out in this little online hobby - in not noting the date of the 'Now' photos. They are generally taken about 2 weeks before I post them here.:eek: Goldie, LIMike, I'll try my best in future.

August 29 addition.

Bathurst looking N towards Queen.

ser71_s0071_it11082.jpg

DSCF0918-2.jpg

Not a lot has changed! Has anyone noticed the peculiar column capital on the far east side of the building at the NE corner wot is currently being renovated. Somewhere along the way, the original Corinthian capital went walkabout and was replaced by an odd ziggy-zaggy replacement of the same general massing but without the fine carving. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to substitute a deco-ish Egyptian looking thingy.

1930 (note Holt Renfrews on NW corner):
1930yongefromrooftopeh1.jpg

1939:
1939yongeandadelaidems2.jpg

Doesn't the sign actually read 'Holt, Renfrew & Co.' rather than 'Holt, Renfrew's Co.?' Looks more like an ampersand than an apostrophe-S to me. The ad you posted from 1934 seems to confirm as much.

Also, I find the streamlined cars from the late-thirties to be quite beautiful and still modern-looking seventy years on. Would love to get my hands on one of them. Thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
Lots of conversations around UT lately about utility poles. :) It's indeed strange how long lived some of the steel ones are. If only they could speak.

August 29 addition.

Queen looking N up James.

fo1244_f1244_it1160a.jpg

DSCF0956-1.jpg

Just the hats.

And the relative silence then. The lack of cars probably made for a quiet city. I imagine you would have heard a only murmur of voices as all the people left those Eaton factories. No gunning car engines, horns, Harley bikes doing their noisemaking.

McDonald's

A recent comment about McDonald's reminded me that I had this old Scarborough photo on file.
I shot the "Now" pic today.

Attachments

• TN McDonalds.jpg
    TN McDonalds.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 369
camera angles

Has anyone else noticed that many of the old photos were taken above street level - and very effective as such?
I expect they were shot from the tops of trucks, buggies or vans.
Our 'Now' shots are usually taken at street level.

Attachments

• camera angles.jpg
    camera angles.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 345
Canadian Domain Ride(Toronto Zoo)

May not be Toronto of the 50's, but it feels so long ago since the Toronto Zoo monorail was last running i thought it deserved it to be consider Toronto of the past :rolleyes:.

circa. 1986
2994135428_c0d6b8c492_b_d.jpg

3497384500_3d7da918b1_b_d.jpg

Back