On a related note, someone did a LOT of homework on 499 Bloor West:

http://www.capsnews.org/apn2006-4-5.htm

That's very thorough.

August 26 addition.

Looking E along Eglinton from Redpath.

ser372_ss0003_s0372_ss0003_it1051.jpg

DSCF0955.jpg

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0160.jpg

I forgot about that former McDonalds. Now I'm feeling nostalgic about it. (Strange, too, how those 70s-style "urban" McDonalds always seemed to have a genuine architectural sensibility going. I suppose the "preservationist" sentiment the across-from-the-ROM McDonalds seems to have inspired among millennial-generation urbanists is belated tribute to the fact.)

That photo is sooo much of this era.

Pictures from the 80s - Toronto Archives...

Mustapha and Adma: Some of those recent comparison pics as mentioned are definitely from the 80s - I recognize the license plate letter combinations as well as the autos themselves dating the pics. As I mentioned previously it's too bad that those Archive pics are not dated! LI MIKE

Mustapha and Adma: Some of those recent comparison pics as mentioned are definitely from the 80s - I recognize the license plate letter combinations as well as the autos themselves dating the pics. As I mentioned previously it's too bad that those Archive pics are not dated! LI MIKE

I certainly agree with "Long Island Mike" that dated photographs add significantly to our understanding of history. Let's try to add dates whenever possible.
In fact, the date of our 'Now' photos will also be puzzling in the future - 10, 20 or 30 years down the road.

I certainly agree with "Long Island Mike" that dated photographs add significantly to our understanding of history. Let's try to add dates whenever possible.
In fact, the date of our 'Now' photos will also be puzzling in the future - 10, 20 or 30 years down the road.

Not necessarily. Digital files have the date they were taken included.

I want to know when Holt, Renfrew dropped the comma.

Here's a "now & then" of Bloor from the Park Plaza, scanned from a Globe article early '70's. showing Holt Renfrew (no apostrpohe or S) in it's original Bloor Street location. The "then" shot is probably 1950's.

2007-09-07-2024-43_edited.jpg

2007-09-07-2017-00_edited.jpg

Back