News   Aug 02, 2024
 659     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 731     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 337     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I've only ever found photos at the Archives; I didn't know they had building plans...

I don't think they have been scanned. The exhibit says:
"City Buildings Department staff had been saving the plans since 1904, resulting in a huge collection of 120,000 rolls of plans. The City began to microfilm the plans in the 1980s, making it unnecessary to keep the original blueprints. However, it was recognized that at least some of the original drawings had a place in the Archives’ collection."

Thanks to that dramatic night photo from "thecharioteer", I was reminded of the wonderful meals I often had at Dunn's in Montreal.

I discovered Dunn's on an early visit to Montreal about 50 years ago. I ate there regularly on every trip thereafter. This was my usual menu (attached).

I'll always remember the exuberant waiters and chefs who constantly shouted across the counter at each other - never experienced that in Toronto!

Has anyone ever been to Montreal and not eaten at Dunns?!

Has anyone ever been to Montreal and not eaten at Dunns?!

Can we have this discussion and not lament the passing of Ben's?

bens.jpg
bens2.jpg

Although I only met Norman Herman once, (Homberg hat, Burburry coat) the general

feeling among my friends was that aside from being a fine gentleman, he was a "chemist";

very trusting, too trusting, turning gold into sh*t.

Regards,
J T

of Herman Furs? I suppose in this day and age, the fur business would be a tough slog to turn a profit. Furs have been what, out of fashion for 25 years. My mom in the 60s owned a matching mink and hat. My young bride in the late 70s wanted a raccoon; which she didn't get. :)

August 23 addition.

DSCF1055.jpg

DSCF1047.jpg

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1049.jpg

more Yonge at Temperance

I recall my parents referring to the jewelery company as "Ryrie-Birks" and the sign in this 1934 photo confirms it.

Attachments

• yonge-st-west-side-south-of-temperance-1934.jpg
    yonge-st-west-side-south-of-temperance-1934.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 365
I recall my parents referring to the jewelery company as "Ryrie-Birks" and the sign in this 1934 photo confirms it.

From the Ontario Archives:

The Ryrie Brothers owned the most prestigious jewellery business in Toronto at the time this office building was re-modelled out of two existing structures by Burke, Horwood & White in 1913.

While the Ryries had their retail business down the street in "Diamond Hall" located at Yonge and Adelaide streets, this building at the corner of Shuter Street was an investment property. The Ryrie name survives in the Ryrie Building, but no longer in the jewellery business.

Ryrie Brothers amalgamated with Montreal jewellers Henry Birks & Son following the death of one of the three Ryrie brothers in 1917, and later in the 1930s another Toronto jeweller joined the company to form Ryrie-Birks-Ellis. For many years since however, the firm has been simply known as Birks.

Ryrie Building, 229 Yonge St., 1891; additions and alterations by Burke, Horwood & White, 1913-14; ground floor and basement remodelled for Muirhead's Grille and Cafeteria, Norman A. Armstrong, 1934.

Ryrie_Building_-_perspective_of_-2.jpg

RyrieBuilding1919-1.jpg

1n 1947, the Siver Rail, one of Ontario's first licensed cocktail lounges opened in the Ryrie Building:

1954 view:
silverrail.jpg

Cocktail list:
silver_rail_prices_lg.jpg

Last edited:
What is Moo Goo Gai Pan?

INGREDIENTS
3 cups white meat chicken, sliced
1/2 cup water chestnuts, sliced
1/2 cup bamboo shoots, sliced
1 1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon
3 cups celery cabbage, sliced
3 cups celery, celery
2 cups stock
2 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3 cups mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp. corn starch
4 tbsp. oil
salt and pepper to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
Mix starch, soy sauce and bouillon in 1/4 cup of water and set aside. Place oil, salt and pepper in hot skillet or large pot, add all vegetables, mix and stir for 3 min. Add stock cover and cook for 8 min., then add chicken and starch mixture, keep stirring until chicken is hot and sauce thickens smoothly. Serves 4 or more.

August 24 addition.

495 Bloor W.

495bloorw.jpg

DSCF0947.jpg

I'll say it's soulless. Particularly after the first picture. My dad, who lived on Manning Avenue in 1920 or so, was a "butcher boy" and did deliveries on his bicycle for a local firm. But I think the butcher was Murphy.

Thanks for the Moo Goo Gai Pan recipe. I might just use it.

August 25 addition.

Bedford Park and Elm looking SW. This is in the Yonge and Lawrence area. It looks like the city photographer took a picture before they tore down these bungalows and pushed Elm through.

ser372_ss0001_s0372_ss0001_it1000.jpg

DSCF1916.jpg

Many of these small original bungalows still dot the area.

DSCF1914.jpg

Back