News   Jul 09, 2024
 44     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 454     1 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 1.1K     7 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Great images, thecharioteer - your internet research skills are clearly superb.

If the images aren't from the City of Toronto archives, though, it would be great if you provided links/cites. I wouldn't mind following up on some of these shots...

I know this isn't Urbanmontreal.ca, but I love these old pics of Ste. Catherine Street in its heyday:
montreal-1.jpg

Montreal1955.jpg

These night shots are quite atmospheric. Vintage Montreal at night reminds me of pics of New Orleans from the same era.

August 22 addition.

Yonge and Adelaide today, SE corner.

fo0124_f0124_fl0003_id0160.jpg

DSCF0975.jpg

Nice one Aladone! Would you have it in a larger size?
Mustapha - excellent thread!

I am working on a larger pic. I don't have a large version of the "then" and been busy to find it. Anyone out there in Then and Now land have the "Then" pic of the gooderham/ church and front?

Isn't there still a mom n' pop grocery store on that corner (that, or right beside it, methinks)?

There's a little grocery store there, but I can't confirm it's mom n' popness. It's not a RABBA or any chain.

The tailors on this corner are quite good, and on the wall right by the window is a bikini calendar, which I'm always happy to see. I find it surprising that the tailor is allowed to keep it up, as it's quite racy and there are a lot of women who work there. It is easily visible from the street (in fact, it's just on the other side of the glass). You'd think someone would have complained in this day and age.

Well, it seems we're not as PC as I feared.

I know this isn't Urbanmontreal.ca, but I love these old pics of Ste. Catherine Street in its heyday:
montreal-1.jpg

Montreal1955.jpg

Look at all the cinemas and those snazzy marquees! It almost looks like B&W photos of 42nd Street in the 60's & 70's.

Cne 2008 - 1956

3843452498_bb8134fec7_o.jpg

3843452492_87a578283c_o.jpg

As the first day of the CNE this year I thought of posting something CNE related. My appoligies for it being so small. Check out the condo-skyline...

Great images, thecharioteer - your internet research skills are clearly superb.

If the images aren't from the City of Toronto archives, though, it would be great if you provided links/cites. I wouldn't mind following up on some of these shots...

No problem. I've gotten some great pics from the Canada Science and Technology Museum website (the night views of Montreal are from there); from the Ontario Archives Visual Database site, from the Toronto Public Library site, and from www.trainweb.org. I also find that if you google image individual buildings and streets you find some very suprising links. Also www.commons.wikimedia.org has pics of Toronto organized by decades.

Last edited:
Dunn's in Montreal

Thanks to that dramatic night photo from "thecharioteer", I was reminded of the wonderful meals I often had at Dunn's in Montreal.

I discovered Dunn's on an early visit to Montreal about 50 years ago. I ate there regularly on every trip thereafter. This was my usual menu (attached).

I'll always remember the exuberant waiters and chefs who constantly shouted across the counter at each other - never experienced that in Toronto!

Attachments

• Dunns-montreal.jpg
    Dunns-montreal.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:

Back