News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

As long as hard drives are backed up, we can keep photos forever in their original condition. Backing things up to cloud storage means that events like building fires can no longer destroy irreplaceable photos. If you use technology properly, you can reap its great benefits.

Picture storage: as for me, I use cloud services and USB sticks. I'll transfer the USB stick data to whatever media is current in the future. I've also scanned many of the instamatic pictures I took in the 1960s and shared them over the web.

I print selected pictures to squirrel away - hopefully to cause my descendants to go ooh and aah when they find them when they go through my stuff when I am gone. I also give away lots of hardcopies as gifts. I know that my wife's family found long lost/never thought existed pictures at her grandmother's place. You know; the picture that you remember posing for in 1994 but you never got a hardcopy. :)

Last edited:
Then and Now for June 24, 2013.

Then. NW corner Yonge and Delisle. c1914. 'A Good Picture of [JAS.] Walker's Drug Store, Toronto.' I do believe that 'JAS.' stands for James. You wonder why they would shorten it; to what; save themselves the trouble of writing out the 'M' and the 'E'?

1169YongeampDelisleNWc1914_zps2668c45c.jpg

Now. May 2013.

1170_zps50eac52c.jpg

Then. NW corner Yonge and Delisle. c1914. 'A Good Picture of [JAS.] Walker's Drug Store, Toronto.' I do believe that 'JAS.' stands for James. You wonder why they would shorten it; to what; save themselves the trouble of writing out the 'M' and the 'E'?

Probably - it might have saved space and money to paint or print the most common given names in their commonly used abbreviations. I suppose if you encountered a man in those days (and earlier), there was a very good chance his name was Jas. or Chas. or Robt. or Wm. or Thos. or Geo.

Probably - it might have saved space and money to paint or print the most common given names in their commonly used abbreviations. I suppose if you encountered a man in those days (and earlier), there was a very good chance his name was Jas. or Chas. or Robt. or Wm. or Thos. or Geo.

The one I don't get is Jno.

The one I don't get is Jno.

My understanding is that it's one part Latin, one part convoluted typography: John being equated to/derived from the Latin Iohannes/Johannes, the n was there to denote the next consonant and the o to denote the masculine (since it could otherwise be mistaken for Johanna, i.e., Jane, which was apparently rendered as Jna). It seems that the -no part was also superscripted with a line under it originally.

http://freereg.rootsweb.com/howto/realnames.htm

Thanks for that link, Anna.
An amazing collection of Kodachromes. Certainly worthwhile to spend some time viewing.
The downside is that they may be unusable here because of the restrictions noted on the City of Toronto Archives site:

"NG-CC Non-Government Records - City copyright
Copyright was transferred to the City of Toronto by the copyright owner. Use for anything other than research or private study, i.e., publication, exhibit, broadcast, in a film or video, or on a website, requires written permission of the City of Toronto. To request permission, contact the City of Toronto Archives."

Thanks for that link, Anna.
An amazing collection of Kodachromes. Certainly worthwhile to spend some time viewing.
The downside is that they may be unusable here because of the restrictions noted on the City of Toronto Archives site:

"NG-CC Non-Government Records - City copyright
Copyright was transferred to the City of Toronto by the copyright owner. Use for anything other than research or private study, i.e., publication, exhibit, broadcast, in a film or video, or on a website, requires written permission of the City of Toronto. To request permission, contact the City of Toronto Archives."

Goldie, there are similarly worded 'precautions' elsewhere on the Toronto Archives web site.. a summary here:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co....arch/resource//copyright/copyright.html#NGCC

This thread and others like it here at UT and elsewhere on the internet, then, must be in contravention in letter if not spirit of the law but I myself have never been contacted by the Toronto Archives.

I'm guessing that if I and others were commercially exploiting these images for a provable and direct commercial gain - 'large prints only $25 each' :) - Toronto Archives would do a cease and desist on us.

These Naylor Kodachromes have immense charm and viewer relate-ability. We've seen many 75 and 100 year old images of Toronto here and elsewhere but it's quite the refreshing thing to see disappeared and changed buildings, businesses and landmarks from the 70s/80s/90s, which are within the memory of many of us here.

Last edited:

1169YongeampDelisleNWc1914_zps2668c45c.jpg

Goldie, there are similarly worded 'protections' elsewhere on the Toronto Archives web site.. a summary here:

https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co....arch/resource//copyright/copyright.html#NGCC

This thread and others like it elsewhere here at UT and elsewhere on the internet, then, must be in contravention in letter if not spirit of the law but I myself have never been contacted by the Toronto Archives.

I'm guessing that if I and others were commercially exploiting these images for a provable and direct commercial gain - 'large prints only $25 each' :) - they would do a cease and desist on us.

These Naylor Kodachromes have immense charm and viewer relate-ability. We've seem many 75 and 100 year old images of Toronto here and elsewhere but it's quite the refreshing thing to see disappeared and changed buildings, businesses and landmarks from the 70s/80s/90s.

Then I hope they don't mind if I post some photos from the collection - Jas Walker's store.

f1526_fl0001_it0023.jpg

f1526_fl0001_it0035.jpg

f1526_fl0001_it0038.jpg

Does it make a difference if I just link directly to the TA site? Because that's what I do.

Last edited:
Then I hope they don't mind if I post some photos from the collection - Jas Walker's store.

f1526_fl0001_it0023.jpg

f1526_fl0001_it0035.jpg

f1526_fl0001_it0038.jpg

Does it make a difference if I just link directly to the TA site? Because that's what I do.

That's creative Anna. :)

And thank you for the headsup about the new pics.

What intrigues me is not just that Delisle Court wasn't much different in scale from what it replaced (a response to Crombie 45-foot-ism?), but how brutally the Parker's Cleaners corner frontage clashed w/the block it was part of. (Oh, and I see the little blue "street signs" remained to the very end.)

Back