News   Apr 22, 2024
 815     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 693     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

There was a big-ish camera store a few steps south of the SW corner - Japan Camera. I still have a Minolta 16P subminiature that I bought there.

I miss the old time camera stores of Toronto. It was always a joy to visit the last one - ALT Camera Exchange.

It just came to me, the camera store I was referring to was Jerry's Camera.

Yeah, there are a number of great camera stores that have gone by the wayside like Toronto Camera, 8 Elm Photo, your aforementioned Alt and Broadway Camera that was bought by Downtown Camera.

It takes a really old old-timer to recall Lockhart's Camera Exchange (in the Temple Building) and McCutcheon's Camera Shop (in Maple Leaf Gardens).

One of the more fascinating genres of photography is 'street photography'. Images at least several decades old hold a particular attraction for me.

In that vein, please check out the work of Ruth Orkin: Have fun; as many of them are.

http://www.orkinphoto.com/photographs/

Thanks, Mustapha, for that link to the wonderful photography by Ruth Orkin (I was pleased to accidentally meet her once in Montreal).
Here's an item regarding her most famous photo: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...sm-or-a-portrait-of-composure/article2128599/

coles-notes.jpeg

Thank you for pulling these out from storage just for me, Anna. :)

It takes a really old old-timer to recall Lockhart's Camera Exchange (in the Temple Building) and McCutcheon's Camera Shop (in Maple Leaf Gardens).

Goodness, Goldie, many cameras in those days didn't even have meters. I remember some cameras had a diagram on the back showing f11 for sunny, etc. :)

And then there was that tiny Kominek place upstairs of Lindy's, or something...

Lindy's Steak House, 405 Yonge. Left us so recently, but I had already forgotten until you mentioned it, adma. My gramps took me there a few times in the early 70s. It was his idea of fine dining. I can't put away a steak anymore; it's too much food. That said, I don't think one can find a cheap steak anywhere on Yonge south of Bloor anymore. You would have to go trek out to The Tulip or something.

Goodness, Goldie, many cameras in those days didn't even have meters. I remember some cameras had a diagram on the back showing f11 for sunny, etc. :)

I hauled out my trusty old 1950-ish Rolleicord and there are the diagrams I could never figure out then and still can't. Anyone need or want this camera it is in great shape, case and all.

I hauled out my trusty old 1950-ish Rolleicord and there are the diagrams I could never figure out then and still can't. Anyone need or want this camera it is in great shape, case and all.

Walking by Cameron House on Queen W a few minutes ago; the street has been blocked off; a band is playing Beatles oldies.

spider's post dually reminded me of the Beatle bio movie Backbeat; where this image comes from; and his old camera. :)

backbeat_zps9882f003.jpg

Last edited:

Back