News   Jun 25, 2024
 616     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 674     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Curious since we are kinda in my area from the above pics, does anyone have any pics of Parkview Hills, the area in East york (northwest of St.Clair and O'connor) where st.clair ends...thanks

I have also admired the view from O'Connor & Vic Park

On a related note
More DVP construction photos of the Don Mills Road/DVP/Forks of the Don area, I believe, with my guesses as to location.

Facing west (northwest?) towards what's now the road from Thorncliffe Park Drive down to ET Seton Park with old Don Mills Road bridge in foreground.
s0065_fl0068_id0008.jpg

New and old Don Mills Road, looking north
s0065_fl0091_id0004.jpg

Don Mills Road, looking south - same house
s0065_fl0066_id0001.jpg

Further south, looking southwest
s0065_fl0091_id0002.jpg

I can't figure out where this is - Eglinton? - it's from 1958.
s0065_fl0066_id0005.jpg

Excellent series of shots, for me anyway.
First pic is a teenage hangout and parking spot in the park at the bottom of that hill.
Second pic is looking up at my high school.
Third pic, the rooftop in the far right could be the first house my wife and I bought. Actually the fourth shot looks right up to where that house is. The hill in the centre of that shot is the landfill which was filled between 1960 and 1962, so right around the time these were taken I guess.

I have also admired the view from O'Connor & Vic Park

On a related note
More DVP construction photos of the Don Mills Road/DVP/Forks of the Don area, I believe, with my guesses as to location.

Facing west (northwest?) towards what's now the road from Thorncliffe Park Drive down to ET Seton Park with old Don Mills Road bridge in foreground.
s0065_fl0068_id0008.jpg

New and old Don Mills Road, looking north
s0065_fl0091_id0004.jpg

s0065_fl0066_id0001.jpg

Further south, looking southwest
s0065_fl0091_id0002.jpg

I can't figure out where this is - Eglinton? - it's from 1958.
s0065_fl0066_id0005.jpg

Charles Sauriol talks about this area extensively in the series of books he wrote about the forks of the Don. The little house in photos 2 & 3 is the 'De Grassi Cottage' built by one of the sons of the original land owner, Captain Phillipe De Grassi. The hill behind the cottage in photos 2 was known as De grassi Hill, where my high school Overlea Secondary/Marc Garneau CI was built.

I don't see how these photos match up with the ones Anna posted a few months ago. I think that first batch of photos was mislabeled.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/6947-Miscellany-Toronto-Photographs-Then-and-Now?p=561256#post561256

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/6947-Miscellany-Toronto-Photographs-Then-and-Now?p=561181#post561181

s0065_fl0068_id0008.jpg
this is a fabulous picture, absolutely fabulous (i simply must improve my abilities to search the toronto archives database)

it confirms something i had only heard of once, that the don river was actually diverted at the forks

in the picture, you can see two foundations being built, these are for the overpass of the (new) don mills road over the river

but wait, you say, the river doesn't go there

it does now :)

you'll need flash to see this aerial map: http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=43.702795&lon=-79.333513&z=17.8&r=61&src=msl

the crosshairs of this map are placed approximately where the camera was located for the above picture, up the side of tumper's hill

tumper's hill was a huge hill just south of the "white bridge" in the foreground, and was named for the person who had a house at the top

old don mills road made a hard turn there at the base of the hill, right at the end of the bridge (this is mentioned in one of charles sauriol's books)

the hill is gone, now, almost completely levelled to provide fill for construction of the dvp

the process of levelling this hill is beautifully captured in your third picture, that's it there in the background...
s0065_fl0066_id0001.jpg

Curious since we are kinda in my area from the above pics, does anyone have any pics of Parkview Hills, the area in East york (northwest of St.Clair and O'connor) where st.clair ends...thanks

Haven't seen to much on Parkview hills out there in the almighty internet but here is a few aerials from 1942 and 1947 courtesy of the Toronto Archives.

Woodbine-Oconnor.jpg

Woodbine-Oconnor2.jpg

StClairandOconnor.jpg

better then nothing i guess, i know the area has fill in it, more consturction fill, i've seen it first hand...and most homes went up after 1950, thanks

I love the subdivision that looks like aztec hieroglyphics. This section was what we called war houses , looks the same as an area around Keele and Sheppard.

StClairandOconnor.jpg

this is a fabulous picture, absolutely fabulous (i simply must improve my abilities to search the toronto archives database)

it confirms something i had only heard of once, that the don river was actually diverted at the forks

in the picture, you can see two foundations being built, these are for the overpass of the (new) don mills road over the river

but wait, you say, the river doesn't go there

it does now :)
Something about that bridge under construction didn't make sense, but now it does. And you can see the new riverbanks behind it.

You have probably seen this but in case you haven't:

http://walkingthedon.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/locating-sauriols-cottage/

Here's another one

s0065_fl0091_id0011.jpg

Something about that bridge under construction didn't make sense, but now it does. And you can see the new riverbanks behind it.

You have probably seen this but in case you haven't:

http://walkingthedon.wordpress.com/2010/11/07/locating-sauriols-cottage/

Here's another one

s0065_fl0091_id0011.jpg

This shot is of the Don Mills Rd rail overpass. Funny, the bridge on the left would be what is now the foot bridge over the tracks. I would have thought the foot bridge was much older than what appears here. It must have been repurposed from another spot? Google image of what is there now.

This shot is of the Don Mills Rd rail overpass. Funny, the bridge on the left would be what is now the foot bridge over the tracks. I would have thought the foot bridge was much older than what appears here. It must have been repurposed from another spot? Google image of what is there now.
That is not the same bridge, only the same location. What is there now is a Bailey Bridge.

This (Don Mills Rd) is an absolutely fabulous string.
It's my old 'playground.'
As a 12-year-old I explored this very area - when it was a wilderness!
I recall climbing those huge cliffs & hills long before they were levelled.
Wish I'd taken photos in those days.
Here's another Then & Now:

TNDonMillsRdoldnew.jpg

Back