News   Jun 20, 2024
 421     1 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 1.5K     8 
News   Jun 20, 2024
 618     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

A few more of that now-transformed stretch of Don Mills Rd. - taken last fall (2010)

oldDonMillsRd20102.jpg

I've always wondered just how navigable this bridge was. Times I've been there, and looking at this shot, I really can't make up my mind if it suffices to carry two lanes or not. It looks kind of like a 1.75-lane bridge. And that's thinking of cars in today's terms. Imagine facing off with a couple of the boats Detroit was encouraging folks to moor up in the driveways in the 1950s and 60s.

I've always wondered just how navigable this bridge was. Times I've been there, and looking at this shot, I really can't make up my mind if it suffices to carry two lanes or not. It looks kind of like a 1.75-lane bridge. And that's thinking of cars in today's terms. Imagine facing off with a couple of the boats Detroit was encouraging folks to moor up in the driveways in the 1950s and 60s.

My recollection is that the concrete bridge and the wooden bridge over the RR tracks were both essentially one-lane.
I drove that route many times but the long-ago memory easily fails.

My recollection is that the concrete bridge and the wooden bridge over the RR tracks were both essentially one-lane.

You actually drove that route? Before the realignment? Wow, now THAT would have been something to have on video. Of course back then that meant a whole lot more than just sticking your P&S to your dashboard.

Were there lights (like Finch and Morningside had till recently)? Or did people just trust their luck that the other fellah would yield the right of way? :) Sure wouldn't want to trust my luck THESE days the way the rest of you people drive, I'll tell you! ;)

At first I thought you were thinking of the 1980's Leaside landslide that took out Laird south of Village Station.

Speaking of Villiage station , I have found a half decent photo of the Leaside station but I can't find any of when it was converted into a restaurant. Anybody have any photo's of it?

leaside4.jpg

I believe it basically did until the late 80s--I remember the Sealtest sign atop the corner. (Though what condition it was in, "original" or altered/rebuilt, I con't know.)

Sealtest was at Walmer and Davenport. I remember as if it was only 40 years ago sneaking up to the 2nd floor and drinking "free milk"

That would be in line with the single lane bridge for Pottery Road over the Don.

Last edited:
And I am now remembering that Pottery road did have traffic lights for that bridge. Possibly as late as 1984 ish. Off to see if I can see the new bridges date plack on google! He he, something to do while at work.

I seem to recall it was 1977 when I took shots of it. It impressed me that it was that late in history. I would have thought the traffic would have warranted it around the time the Bayview Extension when through (not to mention they would have had the equipment right there...).

I seem to recall it was 1977 when I took shots of it. It impressed me that it was that late in history. I would have thought the traffic would have warranted it around the time the Bayview Extension when through (not to mention they would have had the equipment right there...).

Globe & Mail - Mar 9 1977
PotteryRoadBridge.png

Globe & Mail - Mar 9 1977
PotteryRoadBridge.png

John Sewell. I swear, the man never opened his mouth but I wanted to throw a butterfly net over him.

John Sewell. I swear, the man never opened his mouth but I wanted to throw a butterfly net over him.

He's still active. He goes to the St. Lawrence Market and writes about the Toronto Police Service.

I like the fact they have the two bridges. I vaguely remember any lighting system for the single bridge. Didn't it create backup problems for the rail crossing? Rather strange they didn't double it up, but then again hindsight is 20/20.

You actually drove that route? Before the realignment? Wow, now THAT would have been something to have on video. Of course back then that meant a whole lot more than just sticking your P&S to your dashboard.

Were there lights (like Finch and Morningside had till recently)? Or did people just trust their luck that the other fellah would yield the right of way? :) Sure wouldn't want to trust my luck THESE days the way the rest of you people drive, I'll tell you! ;)

Video in the 1950s - not likely!
Maybe someone has an 8mm movie.
I don't recall any 'lights' at the bridges on old Don Mills Rd.

He's still active. He goes to the St. Lawrence Market and writes about the Toronto Police Service.

I like the fact they have the two bridges. I vaguely remember any lighting system for the single bridge. Didn't it create backup problems for the rail crossing? Rather strange they didn't double it up, but then again hindsight is 20/20.

Actually I bought of book of his when I was working downtown near the U of T bookstore in the mid-90s. The Shape of the City, I believe it's called. It's actually rather impressive. I'd almost swear it were ghost-written, because nowhere in it does he come off as anywhere near as daffy as his public persona.

I like the fact that they have the two bridges too. They've preserved the old bow arch--and there are damn few of those still in service and it's a wonder it wasn't axed in the early 1960s--while adding the new bridge to preserve the utility of Pottery Road in acknowledgement of its value crossing the valley. It's all really charming, really. But seriously, I just facepalmed when I read Sewell's kvetching about it. Trust him to find the cloud in the silver lining. :rolleyes:

Back