1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 546     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Interesting they would ship POWs this far inland. Very interesting."
QUOTE Mustapha.

My grade 10 home room teacher was a German POW in Northern Ontario.

Regards,
J T

And they had lots of internment camps (not sure about POW but I think they were there too) in southern interior of BC and the Rockies and foothills in Alberta.

New member, r937, has a great web site: http://rudy.ca/
Some will remember his excellent contributions to the "Pottery Road" history.
He's allowed me to use some of his collection to create these two "Then & Nows"

thorncliffe1942x.jpg

IslandstreetHooperAve.jpg

New member, r937, has a great web site: http://rudy.ca/
Some will remember his excellent contributions to the "Pottery Road" history.
He's allowed me to use some of his collection to create these two "Then & Nows"

thorncliffe1942x.jpg

More questions...is that "road" passable that loops beneath the water treatment plant? Under the "L" of "Leaside Bridge"? Or is that the rail line?

there is a road there, yes, but it ends just a few yards east of the bridge at some hydro equipment

go-train-from-leaside-bridge.jpg

Ya I should have checked it out in Google Earth. It's the rail line I was talking about.

Then and Now for Dec 8.

Then. NE corner Walmer Road at MacPherson. The Farmers Dairy Company Limited. c1916. A wwwebster sourced picture.

WalmerRdatMacphersonNEc1916.jpg

Now. July 2011. I wonder if it survived up until these newish homes were built.

CSC_0017.jpg

Then and Now for Dec 8.

Then. NE corner Walmer Road at MacPherson. The Farmers Dairy Company Limited. c1916. A wwwebster sourced picture.

<snip>

<snip>

I remember that whole area being developed, but I can't seem to remember what was really there before. I remember it feeling rather desolate.

I believe it basically did until the late 80s--I remember the Sealtest sign atop the corner. (Though what condition it was in, "original" or altered/rebuilt, I con't know.)

Just south of this shot on the south side of the bridge is where the big landfill (garbage dump) is!
thanks for the kind words about my site

speaking of landfills...

landfill-sites-lake-iroquois-bay.jpg

sorry, can't remember which book i scanned this out of

i know we're not supposed to do that, and then post it, etc., but i can't help myself, eh :)

the bay mouth of ancient lake iroquois is shown nicely on this map, if you are familiar with the topology, the hills and valleys that mark the old shoreline...

for instance, at o'conner and vic park, a really splendid panoramic outlook towards the city

Then and Now for Dec 8.

WalmerRdatMacphersonNEc1916.jpg

CSC_0017.jpg

Two views from Casa Loma. The dairy can be seen in the more recent pic (I believe it did survive until the townhouses were built in the late 80's):

viewfromcasaloma2.jpg

viewfromcasaloma.jpg

thanks for the kind words about my site

speaking of landfills...

landfill-sites-lake-iroquois-bay.jpg

sorry, can't remember which book i scanned this out of

i know we're not supposed to do that, and then post it, etc., but i can't help myself, eh :)

the bay mouth of ancient lake iroquois is shown nicely on this map, if you are familiar with the topology, the hills and valleys that mark the old shoreline...

for instance, at o'conner and vic park, a really splendid panoramic outlook towards the city

I have also admired the view from O'Connor & Vic Park

On a related note
More DVP construction photos of the Don Mills Road/DVP/Forks of the Don area, I believe, with my guesses as to location.

Facing west (northwest?) towards what's now the road from Thorncliffe Park Drive down to ET Seton Park with old Don Mills Road bridge in foreground.
s0065_fl0068_id0008.jpg

New and old Don Mills Road, looking north
s0065_fl0091_id0004.jpg

Don Mills Road, looking south - same house
s0065_fl0066_id0001.jpg

Further south, looking southwest
s0065_fl0091_id0002.jpg

I can't figure out where this is - Eglinton? - it's from 1958.
s0065_fl0066_id0005.jpg

Back