News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 902     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 566     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"Would love to know where in Kensy market this was." QUOTE Mustapha.

After ploughing through my 1925 (4) MIGHT'S, and having found many personal names but with no business attatched,

I gave up.

Regards,
J T

You're no good JT. Now I'll have to do a simulated Then and Now. :)

Last edited:
Daily Miscellaneous Then and Now for Monday May 16, 2011:

Then. "Humber Valley. April 15, 1913." We are looking at Gough's Ice Cream Parlour. We would pass this on the way out of Toronto to points west. The Humber Bridge discussed yesterday can be made out on the left of the picture.

One can imagine the privations of travel in pre-automobile days; by horse or foot, by stage[coach] for the better off, on dirt roads, lacking street lights, fortifying McDonalds meals etc. Goughs must have been an oasis.

f1231_it0480.jpg

Now. March 2011. This is the modern day Old Mill Drive.

DSC_0054-1.jpg

She. No, I meant Digiteyes :) When I first adopted the name, in '95, I was still scanning all my prints to get it into electronic format (didn't have a 35mm slide scanner at that point). And I was working in 3D software.

OK. :) I remember the first time I saw a digitized photo and a pdf file. Was quite awed.

"You're no good JT." QUOTE Mustapha.

NO more Keen's Hot Mustard for you at the Sunday Market!

LOL!

Regards,
J T aka The Voice of Doom, aka The Axe Murderer.

Everyone. Private joke between JT and I, but I will share: JT carries a jar of Keens Mustard which he liberally puts on edibles. It's both hot and a bit sweet. I mentioned that the powdered Keens is better. For those of you who haven't tasted the rarer powdered version (you mix it with water, naturally), think of wasabi.

Request for assistance: Galena Oil supplied lubricants for locomotives. Toronto Archive notes for this picture state this small complex was on Royce Avenue (now Dupont).

I'm guessing somewhere in the Junction area. Where?

Thanks in advance.

GalenasignaloilfactoryRoyceavenue7231923.jpg

Northeast corner of Dupont & Campbell Ave.

Hmmm, looking at the eaves of the two story house, the chimney and the hydro pole - the shadows are falling to the northwest. So we are looking northwest on this morning of 7/23/1923.

There is a rail siding for our little processing complex - as JT mentions - and this means the main rail line on the right is the still very much busy CN line to points north, King City, Aurora, Barrie, etc.

I'll pop by after dinner with my son; the days are long now and there is lots of light for picture taking, so long as this rain lets up.

Storefronts

This item (attached-from the Web) should remind us all to continue our visual recording of the last of the ancient storefronts that remain on Toronto's streets.
I predict, they'll all soon be gone!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 311
This item (attached-from the Web) should remind us all to continue our visual recording of the last of the ancient storefronts that remain on Toronto's streets.
I predict, they'll all soon be gone!

Donlands and Mortimer, NE corner, Bestway Cleaners, worth a lookover. Neon sign was partly working a couple years ago...

Mustapha, here's the scene on Donlands just a block above your mentioned, Donlands & Mortimer.
I hope this post will work. Let's try!
I think I can still post images here, but I can NO LONGER VIEW any of these pages - since the "redisign" went into effect.
I'm aware of the posts only by e-mail notice - and the 'posting' software apparently still works.

TNDonlandsDairyc1960.jpg

Back