News   Jul 09, 2024
 742     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 601     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

And interesting that Kruger paper company had a sales office upstairs here.

For decades past and down to the present, the local newspapers and printers would order from Montreal based Kruger as well as the other Canadian paper giant, Abitibi. This way they could be assured of some competition between suppliers. :)

May 13, 2011 daily addition.

And you thought it was just another Hard Rock Cafe. Actually, it was; the first [1978] in North America. But, there's more. Next time you are here at the SE corner of Yonge and Dundas Square, look up. :)

"Located at 279 Yonge Street, Child's Restaurant and Offices is architecturally important for its carefully detailed terra cotta cladding."

Much much more fascinating history on our 1918 Heritage Property here.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2001/law0952.pdf

Torontonians have been taking meals here for quite some time.

Then. Apr. 5, 1954. Our waitress is looking at the photographer (whose reflection can be seen). The old cars are reflected in the window. I think I can dimly make out diners inside [some might say I am having a fantasy here, but :) ]... I would say this picture has a few interesting elements.

s0372_ss0058_it2450.jpg

Now. April 2011.

DSC_0076-1.jpg

A friend gave me this small version of a map she found. Ironically, it was in Montreal.

It's a map of York, not Toronto. And there is no date on it, and she feels bad.

Anybody have any dirt on this map of ... dirt? It's mostly showing farm plots back then, and gives an indication of a lot of street names in Leslieville.

View attachment 7365

Sorry, that file is just too small. That is 350 kB, my version is 6 MB, and my friend's version is 45 MB.

Anyway if anybody has an idea about it, let me know. If anybody wants the original, I can make it available somehow. I have no accounts on photo sites. Maybe someone can clean up and host the original.

Here's the actual link to the map your friend has - it is South East York township.
http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/images/maps/townshipmaps/small/yor-m-york-se.jpg
You can get to it thru the 'Map' search on the site wwwebster mentioned.
http://digital.library.mcgill.ca/countyatlas/search.htm
You can order an actual physical copy from McGill.

Thanks! I kept clicking the title page icon and was only getting... the title page!

"Laura Secord" shops... so familiar and so very frequent in these old Toronto images. I used to help the missus buy boxes of chocolates for her clients. And, I just remembered their lollipops - displayed on white trays behind glass, lined up and stacked up. Cherry, butterscotch...

Dentists offices above stores: I've seen a couple old gilt-lettering-on-glass signs around town. Must take a few pictures before they disappear for good. Dentists offices are all in "medical centres" now.

"92 Yonge street. April 7 1954." Just a few paces north of King and Yonge, W side. "Rathbone & Company". I don't have a Now picture to go with this one. I remember this shop as a young man. Some of you older gents may have shopped there. I remember being held spellbound by the regimental striped ties and blazer badges in that window (a veteran thing - you wear the badge of your old unit).

s0372_ss0058_it2502.jpg

In this day and age, ties, never mind striped ones, seemed to have disappeared. Even, and especially, it seems, the obviously custom tailored opt for an open collar. Constricting things they were/are, but nothing looks better against a white cotton collar. It seems that I only see the young - I'm thinking high schoolers here - or those that haven't given "dressing up" much thought - put on any old tie - sometimes even with a dark coloured shirt, and consider the thing done. Some nowadays even wear patterned ties with patterned shirts. Or, orange coloured ties with whimsical animals on them from a certain Bloor street shop. Um, no.

"Constricting things they were/are, but nothing looks better against a white cotton collar." QUOTE Mustapha.

The last tyme that I wore a detatchable collar shirt was during the early seventies.

Regards,
J T

Brings to mind the Hollywood image of the frazzled man, detachable collar askew.

Daily Miscellaneous Then and Now for Saturday May 14, 2011:

Then: "May 17, 1949. N.E. corner Queen and McCaul streets."

Victoria Day is coming up. Fireworks for sale. I also see packages of firecrackers, "burning schoolhouses" and the "punks" to light them with. There were always instances of children burned or blinded by these things. I remember that firecrackers brought out the bully in many young boys - I had a few lit ones flicked at me; and saw many tossed at younger children by older children. The crack of firecrackers and sobbing children - just another Victoria Day in 1949 Toronto. It was no surprise they were banned provincially. I can't remember whose government did it - Bill Davis'?? Prime and desirable contraband were the larger firecrackers - cherry bombs, or M-80s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_bomb. I managed to get a package from a nice man in the Elizabeth street Chinatown. One of them covered by a house brick sent same several feet into the air. We also threw them at dogs and cats I think.

In the distance the sign partly obscured: "McCaul Cigar Store" was uncovered a couple of years ago and visible for a few months.

s0372_ss0058_it1931.jpg

Now. May 2011.

DSC_0077.jpg

Last edited:
"Brings to mind the Hollywood image of the frazzled man, detachable collar askew." QUOTE Mustapha.

(LOL)

The highly starched collar was rather cool on the neck, being held to the shirt by

two studs, one on the back (close coupled flanges) and one at the front. (flange

& longer stud c/w a ball end) All said & done, a rather "proper setup".

Regards,
J T

Some simpler ones stayed on by gravity alone. I know, I folded them in Gramps' laundry.

Back