News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 569     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

" I folded them in Gramps' laundry." QUOTE Mustaphs.

After having changed to a regular collared shirt, THE CAREFUL HAND LAUNDRY was always taken aback

by my wanting (and recieving) XXX starch; cool, crisp, and still proper. If I returned today,

Betty? , if she continues to be there, would again shake her head as would Sydney.

Also included with the above, were the french cuffs.

Regards,
J T

Just as well hard starch is no longer available. Shirts only lasted 20 or so wearings before the collar frayed, no?

I had slits made in my barrel cuffs to accommodate links. French cuffs were always too much fabric for my taste.

P1010413.jpg

"Just as well hard starch is no longer available." QUOTE Mustaphs.

Too bad for it was "THE CAT'S MEOW"!

As I recall, the collars/cuffs lasted a long time, but I did have a great many of them.

Regards,
J T

"92 Yonge street. April 7 1954." Just a few paces north of King and Yonge, W side. "Rathbone & Company". I don't have a Now picture to go with this one. I remember this shop as a young man. Some of you older gents may have shopped there. I remember being held spellbound by the regimental striped ties and blazer badges in that window (a veteran thing - you wear the badge of your old unit).

s0372_ss0058_it2502.jpg

In this day and age, ties, never mind striped ones, seemed to have disappeared. Even, and especially, it seems, the obviously custom tailored opt for an open collar. Constricting things they were/are, but nothing looks better against a white cotton collar. It seems that I only see the young - I'm thinking high schoolers here - or those that haven't given "dressing up" much thought - put on any old tie - sometimes even with a dark coloured shirt, and consider the thing done. Some nowadays even wear patterned ties with patterned shirts. Or, orange coloured ties with whimsical animals on them from a certain Bloor street shop. Um, no.

Ah, men's fashions in old Toronto. From Rathbone & Co. to Kensington:

f1244_it1938.jpg

An ad for Rathbone's from 1922:

eastandrewscollege22stan_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Was that scale not the scale on the Danforth at the herbal medicine location, up until recent? Thuna?

It's gone from there? Goldie made a picture of it a couple years ago. That said, there were as lot of these scales in the Old Toronto streetscape. Likely not have been the same one.

Ah, men's fashions in old Toronto. From Rathbone & Co. to Kensington:

f1244_it1938.jpg

An ad for Rathbone's from 1922:

eastandrewscollege22stan_0004.jpg

Would love to know where in Kensy market this was. To do a Then and Now.

Rathbones... the ad date is 1922. I seem to remember them there as late as 1974, so they traded for quite some time.

Yeah apparently the Thuna scale was abused and wasn't working for some time. I forget where I saw that post, but I drove past it and indeed it was gone.

Yeah apparently the Thuna scale was abused and wasn't working for some time. I forget where I saw that post, but I drove past it and indeed it was gone.

Our household scale broke 10 years ago. I bought a leather punch and punched holes between the factory made holes in my belts. You know that way exactly when the pounds are piling on.

thecharioteers advertisment about milk reminds me the dairy marketing board or whatever it's called is still creative. The advertisements at my gym extoll the drinking of chocolate milk after working out.

I took a drill bit to my last belt, on the INSIDE, because I'm losing weight. See, I wear sweats around the house. Heh. I read recently that a chocolate milk is much like a protein shake. In any case, I love the stuff.

Daily Miscellaneous Then and Now for Sunday May 15, 2011:

Then.

A couple of WW1 era views of the Humber River Bridge near The Old Mill. This is just north of the modern Bloor street. Before you go thinking that these military units were out for a romp in the country; the girder bridge in the old view WAS the only way to cross the Humber in this area at that time. The girder bridge was destroyed by ice in 1915 and replaced by the present stone bridge. The "modern" bridge that now carries several lanes of car traffic over Bloor was built in 1924.

f1244_it0793c.jpg

f1244_it0968.jpg

s0071_it5075.jpg

Now. March 2011.

DSC_0056.jpg

Last edited:
" I read recently that a chocolate milk is much like a protein shake. In any case, I love the stuff." QUOTE BeeRich.

Chocolate milk is wanted to be banned in some Stateside schools.

Typical Nanny Statism.

Reguards,
J T

Back