News   Jul 08, 2024
 211     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2.1K     13 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I had never seen those images from atop University College. They make a great companion to the Rossin House series from the same era. I was wondering why there are apparently no shots toward the north and northwest and then it occurred to me that in 1860 there was probably nothing there except bush.

First Post!

Been on and off this website over the years, but finally joined. Can't thank enough to all those for putting these pics up and showing how beautiful and neat Toronto was (still is, but to a less degree).. the ol facade, stores, store signs, advertisements, etc. And of course preserving the memories.

Is it me or did days and summers just seem warmer, longer, vibin in the 80's and earlier (before all the redevelopment, closing of ol theatres, arcades, ma & pa shop, building of condos, etc).

The summer of 1907 was one of the best.......

scarborobeach.jpg

Actually, there was a bit of life up north of the university in 1861 (census year). Knox and St Michael's Colleges, and St Joseph's Convent. There were houses and shops along Yonge Street. Some people had comfortable homes on the streets between Yonge and the colleges. Above Bloor, stretching from the present Church Street over to Avenue Road, was Yorkville. Yorkville was not in Toronto until after 1880. It was quite a little town in itself.
Statistics for St John's Ward (Queen to Bloor, Yonge to University & northwards)
Population 8100 in 1603 houses
For the section north of College Street:
Population 542 in 86 houses plus the "institutions" which included the colleges, the convent, and the insane asylum.
Yorkville: Population 1571; houses 281

Last edited:
Arcade Building. Yonge street. North of Adelaide.
Imagine if the old building was still extant - what a great place for luxury goods shops; selling leather items, etc., like the London UK arcades.

Interior
arcade.jpg

I can't believe this existed in Toronto and is no more. THIS is what they should've done with Maple Leaf Gardens instead of turning it into a Loblaws. Ugh.

The summer of 1907 was one of the best.......

scarborobeach.jpg

A beautiful picture.

Even more interesting are the concessions/amusements.

Take the time to go from left to right:

Cigars. It's more than a smoke. It's a Lifestyle.

5 cent "Red Hots" (hot dogs). "Coney Island" to assure of authenticity. :)

Snake show - looks like they are trying to lure in a paying audience.

Rifle Range. The CNE still has the air powered "Thompson" pellet machine gun lookalikes. I remember them as an enthralled 5 year old, so they've been around for at least 50 years. I wonder if this Rifle Range had something along that line. Or perhaps it was a BB gun, of "Red Ryder" type. They couldn't have been real rifles. Or perhaps they may have been; .22 calibre short was in use in certain camps of my youth.

"Electric Theatre". Ahah, early motion pictures. :)

A visual snippet of what amused, occupied and distracted our ancestors. Thanks thecharioteer.

Last edited:
Imagine if the old building was still extant - what a great place for luxury goods shops; selling leather items, etc., like the London UK arcades.

Interior
arcade.jpg

I can't believe this existed in Toronto and is no more. THIS is what they should've done with Maple Leaf Gardens instead of turning it into a Loblaws. Ugh.

If you like this kind of thing, the closest one that still exists is in Cleveland OH. :)

January 27 addition.

Then. July 9 1934.

UTer "oldcamera" sent me the fascinating clipping below. Fascinating because the you might get the impression that Toronto was some sort of lawless Gotham.

Or perhaps that sort of reportage sold newspapers. :)

CenturyTheatre1934.jpg

After you read the clipping, if you wish, go back to page 237 of this thread to refresh your knowledge of the Allen-Century-The Music Hall theatre.

Funnily enough the building that replaced it had a Loblaws in the basement for many years.

Has the Arcade building become some sort of Bad Luck Building? Nothing is happening inside. The shops that were there before seemed to be doing well enough. Perhaps the owners had some sort of different vision. How long has it been vacant - 5 years?

The health club in the basement - the former Loblaws - has recently shuttered.

January 27 addition.

Then. July 9 1934.

UTer "oldcamera" sent me the fascinating clipping below. Fascinating because the you might get the impression that Toronto was some sort of lawless Gotham.

Or perhaps that sort of reportage sold newspapers. :)

CenturyTheatre1934.jpg

After you read the clipping, if you wish, go back to page 237 of this thread to refresh your knowledge of the Allen-Century-The Music Hall theatre.

I got a kick out of the manager's name, Leo Bloom, who is, of course, one of the main characters in The Producers.

Interior
arcade.jpg

I bet this building can easily be rebuilt if someone with the money and vision were willing, since the lot it sat on has basically the same dimensions as before.

Bonus: the building would form excellent view termini on both Temperance and Lombard.

Maybe this is too recent for context that I've seen in this thread, but I'm really impressed by the change. Not that I like how the fountain is now.

From this (Image by John Vetterli)
543525645_812817a12a.jpg

to this (Image from TheStar)
f361ad634876b78e617892984977.jpeg

Back