News   Jul 31, 2024
 359     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 414     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 351     2 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

I love this building and think it's a shame that it is (from the looks of it) being left to ruin. It has the potential to be a great little café (accessible to the public) or something. Student Admin? Good grief. That pumpkin is bordering on sacrilege! Lol.

Left to ruin? It's in pretty good shape. It was traditional to paint the dome annually, but it hasn't been done in a few years and the jackolantern got old after a few months.

Thanks adma.

January 20 addition.

Then. "Front looking W from E of Jarvis. 196?"

frontlookingefromwofjarvis196-.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0087.jpg

Of course, a mislabelled photo (that's sure not Front).

Interesting how huge and neon that BA sign is--like a rooftop sign that happened to be plunked upon a signpost instead. (And one can sense the neon 88/98 tubing too.)

Not many pictures show farmland in downtown Toronto. This is one of them. :)

From that same 1860's series taken from the roof of University College is this view towards the farms and woodlands of Yorkville. Perhaps this could be your Ultimate Then and Now Challenge, Mustapha, to get the "Now" view from up there, though I would wait until at least the spring.....

Yorkville_as_seen_from_the_tower_of_the_University.jpg

And to complete the set, here's the view east towards the old King's College building which was eventually replaced by the Ontario Legislature Building:

From_the_tower_of_Toronto_University_looking_east.jpg

And the view SE:

Toronto_from_the_tower_of_Toronto_University.jpg

It's a tradition for the SAC to paint the dome. I also recall it being red with a hammer and sickle, having a soccer ball pattern, and (my favourite) painted to resemble R2-D2

When I was at U of T it was painted peachy pink with a nipple on top.

And to complete the set, here's the view east towards the old King's College building which was eventually replaced by the Ontario Legislature Building:

With an insane asylum there in the interim. Anyone have a photo of what this looked like, or was the King's College building reused?

With an insane asylum there in the interim. Anyone have a photo of what this looked like, or was the King's College building reused?

In 1860 that was the insane asylum. The one on Queen Street was also in existence, with ever so many more patients. I tend to call this the "annexe" but it was not a word of the time.

That must be dirty old snow in the front of the picture. Now there's something that hasn't changed it's looks in 150 years!

Mmmm. I see that CHARLES ABLE (PHOTO FINISHING) after having moved from 137 Jarvis Street to beside the

BRITISH AMERICAN OIL CO SERVICE STATION (88 + 98 gasoline brand) thence moved across and farther down L'Shore. (now demolished)

Do I also see the end of the NORTHERN ELECTRIC CO sign at the extreme left?

Regards,
J T

I for one do not miss shooting film. Remember that you had as many pictures as were on the roll of film. Digital is so liberating.

Last edited:
Of course, a mislabelled photo (that's sure not Front).

Interesting how huge and neon that BA sign is--like a rooftop sign that happened to be plunked upon a signpost instead. (And one can sense the neon 88/98 tubing too.)

It's a great sign for sure. I wonder if the signage now around Yonge and Dundas will ever be regarded by future generations with a sense of loss.

From that same 1860's series taken from the roof of University College is this view towards the farms and woodlands of Yorkville. Perhaps this could be your Ultimate Then and Now Challenge, Mustapha, to get the "Now" view from up there, though I would wait until at least the spring.....

Yorkville_as_seen_from_the_tower_of_the_University.jpg

And the view SE:

Toronto_from_the_tower_of_Toronto_University.jpg

I wonder if I can get permission to get up there? Mmm.

In 1860 that was the insane asylum. The one on Queen Street was also in existence, with ever so many more patients. I tend to call this the "annexe" but it was not a word of the time.

That must be dirty old snow in the front of the picture. Now there's something that hasn't changed it's looks in 150 years!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:King's_College_Toronto_1855.jpg

First Post!

Been on and off this website over the years, but finally joined. Can't thank enough to all those for putting these pics up and showing how beautiful and neat Toronto was (still is, but to a less degree).. the ol facade, stores, store signs, advertisements, etc. And of course preserving the memories.

Is it me or did days and summers just seem warmer, longer, vibin in the 80's and earlier (before all the redevelopment, closing of ol theatres, arcades, ma & pa shop, building of condos, etc).

First Post!

Been on and off this website over the years, but finally joined. Can't thank enough to all those for putting these pics up and showing how beautiful and neat Toronto was (still is, but to a less degree).. the ol facade, stores, store signs, advertisements, etc. And of course preserving the memories.

Is it me or did days and summers just seem warmer, longer, vibin in the 80's and earlier (before all the redevelopment, closing of ol theatres, arcades, ma & pa shop, building of condos, etc).

They were longer and warmer; we were out and about more. :)

January 21 addition.

Then. Yonge looking SE. Shuter street can be made out in the right distance. The wonderful old office building on the right, 229 Yonge, is the old Ryrie building.

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/on-line-exhibits/architecture/record-ryrie.aspx

193-2.jpg

Now. November 2010. I recently posted a picture in this thread of the old safe which resides in the lobby. You can visit and view it - the lobby entrance is behind the silver gray car in the Now picture.

DSC_0036.jpg

Back