News   Jul 08, 2024
 24     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

January 18 addition.

Then. A 70s era view of Bay and Albert streets from Nathan Philips Square.

The square gray building to the left of Old City Hall was at that time Eaton's Annex store. It was shopped often by the missus who loves a bargain. I thought this picture was particularly interesting because it shows the old Eaton's factories in colour.

f0124_fl0008_id0082.jpg

Now. November 2010.

DSC_0089.jpg

"the Browning 9mm Hi Power automatic pistol was made here in 1944-45. " QUOTE Mustapha.

Two books:

1) FOR ACTION
by James E Hahn.
The auto biography of a Canadian industrialist.

2) WORKING at INGLIS
by David Sobel + Susan Meurer.
The Life and Death of a Canadian Factory.

Regards,
J T

I'll have to check these out of the library some time, thanks JT.

By the way, if you don't have time to read a book, check out the Toronto Aerospace Museum up at Downsview. It's an unintended shrine to another example of Canadian industrial progress - the Avro Arrow.

I love this building and think it's a shame that it is (from the looks of it) being left to ruin. It has the potential to be a great little café (accessible to the public) or something. Student Admin? Good grief. That pumpkin is bordering on sacrilege! Lol.

The interesting thing about this one--and the historical plaque makes it a little unclear--is that the building was originally across from Convocation Hall. What happened in 1907 is that the building was dismantled and rebuilt (more or less--there were changes) across from Hart House. The plaque makes it sound like it was a completely new building, when actually quite a few elements from the old building were retained. Stewart was considered to have "saved" the old structure.

From the McCord Museum 1860, caption by Wikimedia Commons:

From_the_tower_of_Toronto_University_looking_directly_east.jpg

Image taken from the tower of University College (University of Toronto) looking south. The building in the foreground is the Meteorological Observatory, now relocated beside University College. This image is part of a collection of stereoscopic images of the University and the surrounding area of Toronto, Canada, taken circa 1860.

Goads 1884 (observatory centre of map):

uofT1884-1.jpg

From the McCord Museum 1860, caption by Wikimedia Commons:

From_the_tower_of_Toronto_University_looking_directly_east.jpg

Image taken from the tower of University College (University of Toronto) looking south. The building in the foreground is the Meteorological Observatory, now relocated beside University College. This image is part of a collection of stereoscopic images of the University and the surrounding area of Toronto, Canada, taken circa 1860.

uofT1884-1.jpg

Not many pictures show farmland in downtown Toronto. This is one of them. :)

I love this building and think it's a shame that it is (from the looks of it) being left to ruin. It has the potential to be a great little café (accessible to the public) or something. Student Admin? Good grief. That pumpkin is bordering on sacrilege! Lol.

DTowner,

Interesting that it went from a meteorological observatory - see thecharioteers picture - no dome on top, open space for wind speed, barometric and rain level instruments - to an observational astronomy observatory - with a dome to protect optical instruments/telescope(s).

The two sciences are as different as cats and dogs and study in either couldn't be served by this small building now. Especially observational astronomy, due to light pollution.

I wonder if a telescope is still mounted. If it is, imagine something like:

EightInchTelescope.jpg

It would make for an interesting focal point for your coffee shop were it so.

I would volunteer an evening once a month with Brasso and rags to keep it spic n span.

The interesting thing about this one--and the historical plaque makes it a little unclear--is that the building was originally across from Convocation Hall. What happened in 1907 is that the building was dismantled and rebuilt (more or less--there were changes) across from Hart House. The plaque makes it sound like it was a completely new building, when actually quite a few elements from the old building were retained. Stewart was considered to have "saved" the old structure.

I wonder why they went through the trouble and expense? Was it re-purposed from meteorological to observational?

On the subject of U of T buildings, I submit the picture below in the hope that someone might be familiar with this building.

I assume its no longer around, right?

Where was it located?

I realize that this is the sort of question that made my grade school teachers roll their eyes, so I'm sorry but I did Google for an answer but no luck.

And I went to York. :)

"Old School of Science building after 1900"

OldSchoolofSciencebuildingafter1900.jpg

Back