News   May 16, 2024
 549     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 752     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 579     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Then. "Humber at Old Mill 1908". In this picture we are looking north. You can just make out a bridge in the right distance. This was destroyed by ice March 26 - 29 1916 and replaced in 1917 by the present stone bridge.

f1244_it1240.jpg

Now. December 2010. In this picture we are looking NNW from the same vantage point - trees prevented a re-creation of the original view. In the old view there was a small branch of the Humber - perhaps an "oxbow"; it no longer exists.

DSC_0014-1.jpg

There are many views of this area at the online Toronto Archives. When the weather is warmer but before the foliage comes out and blocks everything I'll go back and shoot another few pictures.

Hopefully someone will beat me to it - I wouldn't mind a bit. :)

Hard to believe that that stone bridge once carried all the east west traffic in this area until the bridge a few hundred yards south was built in the 1920s.

For you out-of-towners, that is the Old Mill Hotel complex in the Now picture.

Last edited:
I knew there was something up when they integrated the old burnt down mill with the current complex.

No wonder I couldn't find it at the time I was on a field trip around Grade 7 iirc.

Thanks to all for the pics and leads on the old Woolworth building. That was one of those buried early memories of Toronto that suddenly popped into my head. (I moved to Toronto in 1990, but visited several times starting in 1984).

I was out taking some photos today and am looking forward to making my first couple of Then and Nows.

January 15 addition.

Then. "St Lawrence Market Fruit and Flower Show ca1904".

stlawrencemarketfruitandflowershowc1904.jpg

Now. January 2011.

DSC_0993.jpg

What's this?

DSC_0991.jpg

Salt fish. Beloved by coastal citizens the world over. I have Newfoundlander friends who tell me they love it. Mix it up with salt pork in some kind of dish.

As a Toronto born boy of Chinese descent there should be some ancestral trait that makes me want to like this stuff, but nope. A morsel in the mouth [ the missus likes it in fried rice] and I am reaching for a napkin. I'm amazed that "lofan" [you can look that up] like it. :)

January 16 addition.

Then. "November 18, 1925. Don Esplanade and Cornwall street." Those little row houses are long gone. That's the Gerrard street bridge in the distance.

s0372_ss0058_it1099.jpg

Now. January 2011. The Then pic and the Now pic were both taken from the Dundas street bridge.

DSC_0988.jpg

The Then scene vaguely reminds me of pictures I've see here: http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/chavezravine/

January 17 addition.

Then. "April 30, 1941. North curb, Queen street east bridge."

s0372_ss0058_it1614.jpg

Now. December 2010.

DSC_0979.jpg

Coleman lanterns: I remember as a child the old "liquid fuel mantle" lamps that threw a warm bright light that carried far, unlike the cold ghostly LED light sources that many outdoors people use now. The old lamps are still in production although perhaps they are not made in Toronto anymore.

Our old Coleman factory building is 9 Davies Avenue and quite a few photography businesses are located within it.

January 15 addition.

Then. "St Lawrence Market Fruit and Flower Show ca1904".

stlawrencemarketfruitandflowershowc1904.jpg

Now. January 2011.

DSC_0993.jpg

What's this?

DSC_0991.jpg

Salt fish. Beloved by coastal citizens the world over. I have Newfoundlander friends who tell me they love it. Mix it up with salt pork in some kind of dish.

As a Toronto born boy of Chinese descent there should be some ancestral trait that makes me want to like this stuff, but nope. A morsel in the mouth [ the missus likes it in fried rice] and I am reaching for a napkin. I'm amazed that "lofan" [you can look that up] like it. :)

The salt's really just a way of preserving it; you're technically supposed to soak it in cold water for about a day before, dumping and refilling the basin every few hours. It freshens up quite a bit then, and is way less salty and much tastier.

Not only Newfoundlanders, but Portuguese - amongst a few other cultures I'm sure - loooooove this stuff. No wonder we're rumoured to have a different way of preparing it for every day of the year!

"Our old Coleman factory building is 9 Davies Avenue and quite a few photography businesses are located within it." QUOTE Mustapha.

The architect/engineer of this building firstly came to Canada from the U S of A to construct THE TORONTO SANITARY COMPANY'S factory at Dupont/Lansdowne, it later becoming

the property of AMERICAN STANDARD. While here, he also started the build of what was to become 68/70 Broadview Avenue, aka UNITED DRUG/LIGGETT'S DRUG/REXALL DRUG,

first phase 1914, second + third (of four) were also his handiwork. now known as BROADVIEW LOFTS. THE COLEMAN CO plant was erected at a later date.

He lived in Canada quite a number of years, Broadview + The Danforth N/E quadrant, rather suprising really since he only came here for the first mentioned build.

His name? One day I will dig out his 'prints for UNITED/REXALL DRUG CO; all will be told, as well as E W GILLETT - 53 Fraser Ave, INGLIS SMALL ARMS - 9 Hanna Ave, the list goes

on . . .

Regards,
J T

Funny re Coleman, how the parapet of the "functionalist" part facing the Don was shaved off btw/then and now (and as usual, don't get me started on the replacement windows)

January 17 addition.
Then. "April 30, 1941. North curb, Queen street east bridge." Coleman lanterns: I remember as a child the old "liquid fuel mantle" lamps that threw a warm bright light that carried far, unlike the cold ghostly LED light sources that many outdoors people use now. The old lamps are still in production although perhaps they are not made in Toronto anymore.
If you look at the wall of the lower building, on Queen Street, there are still, painted, ads for Coleman Lanterns visible.

The salt's really just a way of preserving it; you're technically supposed to soak it in cold water for about a day before, dumping and refilling the basin every few hours. It freshens up quite a bit then, and is way less salty and much tastier.

Not only Newfoundlanders, but Portuguese - amongst a few other cultures I'm sure - loooooove this stuff. No wonder we're rumoured to have a different way of preparing it for every day of the year!

Songbird,

Thanks, I looked up a few recipes. Intriquing. I'm going to try one of them.

The Chinese do NOT soak their salted fish. Think Anchovies. :)

In the meantime your post reminds me of Portuguese custard tarts - and a trip to Kensy market soon. A custard tart, a strong coffee and awaaa-ay we go, on a caffeine and sugar psychedelic trip. :)

INGLIS SMALL ARMS - 9 Hanna Ave, the list goes

on . . .
Regards,
J T

Interesting that the Browning 9mm Hi Power automatic pistol was made here in 1944-45. It equipped the Canadian Forces until the early 70s at least - when I was familiarized on it during a summer in the Militia. I thought it had a nasty kick but have never before nor since had anything to compare it to.

Back