News   Apr 25, 2024
 363     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Happy Birthday Miscellany Toronto: Then & Now!

And Many Returns to everyone; readers, posters, lurkers, UT management and mods and the folks at the Toronto Archives. :)

June 18 addition.

Then. Spadina Road looking N from Dupont. June 10, 1912.

North of the tracks... those houses on the left/west side of the street are still there and in good shape.

The Laidlaw sawmill is now occupied by the Toronto Archives offices front yard. Laidlaw monies still propell good works in the form of a foundation.

http://www.laidlawfdn.org/history

Laidlaw also made wooden propellers [hey that's twice I've used that word in consecutive sentences :) ] for De Havilland airplanes.

f1231_it1333.jpg

Now. May 2010. I couldn't stand in the middle of the street this day; way too much traffic. Cute and almost secret/hidden barbershop there on the right.

DSC_0231.jpg

[QUOTE
Then. Spadina Road looking N from Dupont. June 10, 1912.

f1231_it1333.jpg

Now. May 2010.

DSC_0231.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I wondered why we could not see more of Casa Loma in the 1912 photo, since construction was begun in 1911.
I guess that's part of the Casa barely visible behind the transmission tower. When was construction completed?
It's clearly seen in the "Now' photo.

Robert Laidlaw, one of the brothers, still alive in 1970, lived in the large house on the s/s of Jackes Avenue

opposite Bretton Place Apartments; his chauffer driving him in a 1958 Cadillac limousine. "Bobby", as he was

known, was a large, kindly man, with a rather high pitch voice.

Regards,
J T

You're right--and given the date, I suspect there was some kind of corelation w/the then brand new Yonge subway.

Hmm, I think we have the makings of an fascinating unturned stone of urban-infrastructure historical research here...

June 21 addition by 49Moore.

"Adelaide Street West, south side, just west of Sheppard Street

The only company I can find anything about is the James Morrison Manufacturing Company. Early records show them to be located at 91-97 Adelaide Street West. They manufactured Pipe fittings and valves."

Then. 1920s.

AdelaideandYork1920sLarge.jpg

Now. 2010.

Now100bkAdelaideLarge.jpg

Great comparison, Mustapha. The old city is as buried as Pompei. However, standing in about the same spot, looking NE in 1946 (when cars were cars), a few remnants still remain (love the feel of the street being 2-way with the streetcar):

f1257_s1057_it0001.jpg

Last edited:
The old city is as buried as Pompei. A few remnants still remain (love the feel of the street being 2-way with the streetcar):

f1257_s1057_it0001.jpg

I have personal memories of this scene because my very first job was in the Concourse Building as an 'office boy' - in 1950!

Attachments

• TN Concourse bldg 1947.jpg
    TN Concourse bldg 1947.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 365
I have personal memories of this scene because my very first job was in the Concourse Building as an 'office boy' - in 1950!

The Concourse building has survived; thank goodness.

thecharioteer: "as buried as Pompei". Apt turn of phrase. :)

June 22 addition.

Then. Ossington looking N to Dundas. June 8 1920.

f1231_it0501.jpg

Now. May 2010.

DSC_0210.jpg

This is a modified post of one I did a few hours ago which was based on the old photo labeled "view of Frederick Street". It's clear that given the location of the Beard Building (at King and Jarvis, built in 1894) that this view is of George Street (verified by the supplementary archival pic). One has to be careful not to treat Archival labeling as gospel! We can also put this set into the category of Nows looking better than Thens.

s0376_fl0005_it0068.jpg

george.jpg

Front and George:

s0071_it1541.jpg

Last edited:
At one time in Toronto (many, many, many years ago) it would have been considered unthinkable for any church to be demolished.
Today we well-know that dozens have turned to dust!
And, in some cases, the religions along with them.

Attachments

• Church Begone.jpg
    Church Begone.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 350

Back