News   Jun 27, 2024
 126     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 91     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 492     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Honeymoon or FallsView Bridge

Many photos of the actual 1928 collapse at this site: http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/results.asp

Small correction to the URL, The Historic Niagara Digital Collections can be found at http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/start.asp?db=images, do a keyword search on bridge and collapse* to see the images.

Although this collection concentrates on the Niagara area, there are some Toronto images that might be of interest. They can be found at the same URL, do a subject search on Toronto and Ont, be sure to include the Ont or you will get a large number of images of the Toronto Power Plant in Niagara Falls

Last edited:
Small correction to the URL, The Historic Niagara Digital Collections can be found at http://www.nflibrary.ca/nfplindex/start.asp?db=images, do a keyword search on bridge and collapse* to see the images.

Although this collection concentrates on the Niagara area, there are some Toronto images that might be of interest. They can be found at the same URL, do a subject search on Toronto and Ont, be sure to include the Ont or you will get a large number of images of the Toronto Power Plant in Niagara Falls

A more than nicely organized website/collection of history and images, thank you Niagara. I've always been interested in Niagara Falls as more than the immediate area around the Falls themselves. Gonna spend some time educating myself.

Entered "Yonge" into the search field and this was one of the results: the ICE bridge collapse of 1912; it puts a human angle on another incident at the Falls.

"Three persons, a man, a woman and a youth went to their deaths yesterday afternoon when the ice bridge at Niagara Falls, which every winter spans the lower gorge between the American Falls and the upper steel arch bridge, broke from its moorings and floated down the river. The dead...Burrel Hecock of East 117th Street Cleveland Ohio, Eldridge Stanton of 19 Nanton Avenue Toronto, member of the firm Stanton & Wilson, Stationers and Printers, 50 Yonge Street, and Mrs Eldridge Stanton wife of above. Hecock lost his life in a futile attempt to assist the man in an attempt to save his wife. He might have followed his chum Ignatius Roth, also of Cleveland to safety before the bridge disintegrated but as he was then assisting the man with the woman before he realized it the bridge had broken into pieces and Hecock found himself on the small floe of ice, floating down the river. Niagara Falls Gazette, February 1912"

Last edited:
January 28 addition.

Then: 1940s? Looking E along College across Bay. Didn't know here was a "Y" there in the past.

fo1231_f1231_it0118b.jpg

Now: November 2009.

CSC_0048.jpg

Thanks for the St Joseph's Health Centre photos.

You're welcome. It seems to be escaping all the hospital consolidations nicely, let'e hope things stay that way.

My Dad stayed at that "Y" for a few weeks when he immigrated here in January 1970. It was demolished for the Police Station.

Perhaps he even went to see a show at the ODEON Carlton; I just noticed the sign in the distance.

now see the guy under the Rexall sign....not paying attention, still in the intersection on a yellow...we need to wake up people....

That "Y" determined my future!

That YMCA on College was once known as the "Central Branch of the Y."
It's certainly a famous Toronto landmark. Not only because of 'Urban Shocker's Dad," but also because it's where I met my wife at a dance 56 years ago!

My Dad told me the shower room was crawling with homosexuals when he stayed there. Naturally, as a gay 17 year old, I was intrigued.

Mustapha: I will comment on these pics recently posted: 1/21 TFD pics: The first one of the Chief's Car baffles me-it looks like a Ford Thunderbird from the mid 60s but it could also be a GM product-Stumack: Any idea what this is? It is quite interesting indeed...
The second pic I believe is from around 1970 or so...
The third pic is 70s-Note Ontario quarterly truck plate in pic-can that be enlarged to make the date readable?
The fourth pic is from the early 80s-note regular series plate on the EFD chief car and a new undated black/white truck plate on the fire truck...
The fire station pics of Stations 134 and 131 show how the TFD has kept them...nice!
1/25 - Goldie's pics of the 1912 historical panoramic Niagara Falls pics are quite interesting...I hope that they are preserved and displayed so people like me can examine them close-up...
1/27 - I feel that College/Bay pic is from the early 50s...The area is quite famaliar to me as I stayed at the YMCA on my first trips to Toronto in 1979-1980. I remember the area well and recall that the TPD headquarters building was built on that spot in the late 80s...Thoughts and insight from LI MIKE

Mustapha: I will comment on these pics recently posted: 1/21 TFD pics: The first one of the Chief's Car baffles me-it looks like a Ford Thunderbird from the mid 60s but it could also be a GM product-Stumack: Any idea what this is? It is quite interesting indeed...

It's a 1964 Meteor.

That YMCA on College was once known as the "Central Branch of the Y."
It's certainly a famous Toronto landmark. Not only because of 'Urban Shocker's Dad," but also because it's where I met my wife at a dance 56 years ago!

I met mine at the disco in the basement of the Downtown Holiday Inn.

My Dad told me the shower room was crawling with homosexuals when he stayed there. Naturally, as a gay 17 year old, I was intrigued.

Hooo-kay. Alrighty then. :)

Mustapha: I will comment on these pics recently posted: 1/21 TFD pics:
1/25 - Goldie's pics of the 1912 historical panoramic Niagara Falls pics are quite interesting...I hope that they are preserved and displayed so people like me can examine them close-up...
..Thoughts and insight from LI MIKE

Yessir, as FUNIOJO mentioned a couple posts back, they are hanging on the wall at:

http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/about/locate.aspx

You have to come visit Toronto again to see them 'up close'. C'mon it's only a 10 hour drive.

It's a 1964 Meteor.

Anna, you can still surprise us sometimes. I picture you under the hood of that thing; the engine in pieces, measuring the block bore and figuring out what size oversize piston rings to use. :)

Anna, you can still surprise us sometimes. I picture you under the hood of that thing; the engine in pieces, measuring the block bore and figuring out what size oversize piston rings to use. :)

No, that would ruin my manicure.

Archival citation: Fonds 249, Series 61, File 355
Title: Toronto Fire Department Car 151, a 1964 Meteor

It's a 1964 Meteor.

As a kid we had a 4-door 1964 Mercury Meteor. Ours had the backwards slanting rear window, but unlike the one pictured, ours did not have the optional "Breezeway" window that retracted behind the rear seats. As a kid I was jealous of the ones that had that feature, because we thought it would be cool to hang out the back window! Seat belts for rear passengers was still years away... And forget car seats! We just bounced around on all our long family car trips. While we lived in Vancouver, we twice drove down the west coast to explore all the West Coast and South Western States.

Last edited:

Back