Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Queen Street West Remix

New look, same great content!

Queen Street West Remix
4289095449_992591c0f5.jpg

New look, same great content!

Queen Street West Remix
4289095449_992591c0f5.jpg

Isn't it sad that for all the social inequities in Victorian and Edwardian Toronto, we only see "street" people in contemporary views. Of course, it could be that homelessness was more hidden in the old days and the City fathers ran a tighter ship when it came to people sleeping on public sidewalks.

Hey, we're all baaa-cck.

Test post. Can you all 'see' this picture? As the poster I can only see a link to my Photobucket pic.

DSCF2123.jpg

I prefer the replacement.

Those Victorian public buildings with their massive attic spaces must have been something to explore; assuming you could get in. I've always wondered what the space above the Queens Park Legislature looks like.

Welcome back Everyone post:

UT has relaunched! :)

Mooses' first daily update.

Time for a celebratory "parade".

Sometimes The Toronto Fire Service appears in parades.

The Chief's car leads the way.

TFDcar1511964Meteor.jpg

Fire scenes are always exciting but I always say a silent wish that no one is hurt and damage is minimal.

etobicokeFD1973.jpg

s0061_fl0276_id0001.jpg

s0061_fl0339_id0001.jpg

Thank you TFS and back to the stations you go.

s0372_ss0001_it1214.jpg

DSCF1392.jpg

s0372_ss0001_it1078.jpg

DSCF1391-1.jpg

Vintage jewellery of our TFS Heroes. I found these at the Sunday St. Lawrence Market.

P1010177.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't it sad that for all the social inequities in Victorian and Edwardian Toronto, we only see "street" people in contemporary views. Of course, it could be that homelessness was more hidden in the old days and the City fathers ran a tighter ship when it came to people sleeping on public sidewalks.

I think in the past they used to be in the parks. For some reason this generation of homeless seeks the comfort and familiarity of the public streets and sidewalk. I'm guessing this is for safety or ease in begging change or those social services that bring them medical care and food.

As well, I think vagrancy laws were enforced more than now, so you would not want to be too visible.

The windshield cleaning thing by certain of the homeless seems to have fallen off greatly; whether from police enforcement or lack of donations I don't know.

January 23 addition:

Ogden Public School. This is not far north east of the Queen/Spadina intersection. My wife's old junior school... In the Now pictures, I have included a couple of additional pictures showing some of the original building they have left behind as sort of decorative benchery.

OgdenSchoolPhoebestreet.jpg

CSC_0044.jpg

CSC_0043.jpg

CSC_0042.jpg

I wonder what was wrong with the old school that they had to replace it.

i'm assuming, as with other old schoolhouses, that maintenance was becoming unaffordable. perhaps also, those buildings did not meet current safety standards. also, wheelchair accessibility is an issue. it's unfortunate we've lost so many of these beautiful structures, but the winds of change and fairness blow strong!

Those Victorian public buildings with their massive attic spaces must have been something to explore; assuming you could get in. I've always wondered what the space above the Queens Park Legislature looks like.

Here's a view from the outside (1891):

Ontario_Legislature_Under_Construct.jpg

Last edited:
i'm assuming, as with other old schoolhouses, that maintenance was becoming unaffordable. perhaps also, those buildings did not meet current safety standards. also, wheelchair accessibility is an issue. it's unfortunate we've lost so many of these beautiful structures, but the winds of change and fairness blow strong!

I would think it's more the former than the latter. Many old buildings just make additions to bring them up to standard. I mean, is U of T going to tear down their historical buildings any time soon? NO!

Back