News   Apr 24, 2024
 969     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 627     0 

Midtown Toronto

McDonalds in Bayview and Eglinton leveled.

Curious about Metrolinx's plans for the site. There is much hand-wringing around here that they will turn it into a mid-rise (the horror!). I'm sure you know that Metrolinx purchased the duplexes just to the north of this site, so they have some space to work with.

Curious about Metrolinx's plans for the site. There is much hand-wringing around here that they will turn it into a mid-rise (the horror!). I'm sure you know that Metrolinx purchased the duplexes just to the north of this site, so they have some space to work with.
You mean just to the south?

I don't want to see a midrise there, but a retail-station-office structure that is 3-4 storeys should be built.

Why not? Too tall?
Yah, for this site.

Beyond the site being too small for starters for anything other than a low-rise retail structure, it is right next to Leaside High School's ball park and field, resulting in shadowing concerns. (queue whinging about Jesse Ketchum Park)

I'd still want to see something 3-4 storeys built, as opposed to nothing but a subway station as Metrolinx probably has planned.

Then again I spotted this rendering on Metrolinx's website. Which corner of Eg+Bayview is this on?

bayview_extplaza.png

It looks like the old Boston Pizza site on Eglinton east of Yonge will be a new location for Prohibition Gastrohouse -- there is no real signage but for a large "Eat Well, Speak Easy" sign on the front, which is the slogan of the Riverside restaurant. (I presume this will be another location, and that the current restaurant isn't moving -- if it did I would be very sad...)

I gotta say, I'm really liking how Eglinton has shaped up from Yonge to Mt Pleasant. There's a continuous urban streetwall of mid-rise to highrise offices and residential buildings which help out bring a great vibrancy in the area, and the retail is overall very good. I still lament the loss of the office building on the south-east corner of Eglinton and Redpath:
11995497_1651180128484031_796703294_n.jpg

Anyways, this always really strikes me as strange. Eglinton just west of Yonge never really grew and became as vibrant as the section from Yonge to Bayview. I mean, the western section to Avenue is a fair area, it just doesn't have the same feel and atmosphere as the immediate eastern area of Eglinton. Once this LRT-subway project is built out however, it'll be interesting to see how the area really develops, especially since taller development seems to be a less likened phenomena until you go quite a distance away(in the stretch from Yonge to Avenue, it never really goes 10+ with floors, except the offices immediate to Yonge)

Attachments

• 11995497_1651180128484031_796703294_n.jpg
    11995497_1651180128484031_796703294_n.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 598
Isn't that chunk of land supposed to become a park once the LRT construction is finished?
Possibly. There's going to be a lot of discussion going on between the city, the TTC, and any other party as to what could be done with the land. There's been interest by the city (I believe) in the future for a mixed use development, and there's been rumours that the TTC may allow construction of an office project for them to have a better headquarters perse. Keep in mind, this land won't be suitable for development UNTIL the Crosstown is fully complete, and even then, there'll need to be a great deal of preliminary studies/community consultation/etc for what's the best for the community in terms of this land.

Back