News   Apr 26, 2024
 66     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 298     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 514     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Doom Paul is supposed to be a joke that upcoming events will have apocalyptic results. I think the joke here is 'oh my god we're building transit holy shit the end of Toronto is coming'. Sarcastically.

Don't feel like you're too old to understand this. Memes often come out of nowhere, and they often evolve in meaning over time.

strange that the TBMs have reached the shaft site before any shovels have broken down...seems counterintuitive. now they will just rust away as they dig them out eventually...itll be funny
if they dig down only to realize that theyve missed the mark

Doom Paul is supposed to be a joke that upcoming events will have apocalyptic results. I think the joke here is 'oh my god we're building transit holy shit the end of Toronto is coming'. Sarcastically.

Don't feel like you're too old to understand this. Memes often come out of nowhere, and they often evolve in meaning over time.
The "It's Happening" gif is often used for earnest joy as well. It started off as ironic, referencing Ron Paul's failing 2012 campaign, but has morphed over time into non-irony.

I apologize if this is a profoundly silly question that has been answered elsewhere, but: If the extraction shaft for the western TBMs is west of Yonge, and the extraction shaft for the eastern TBMs is east of Yonge, how will the part under Yonge actually be tunnelled?

I apologize if this is a profoundly silly question that has been answered elsewhere, but: If the extraction shaft for the western TBMs is west of Yonge, and the extraction shaft for the eastern TBMs is east of Yonge, how will the part under Yonge actually be tunnelled?

Dighole.jpg

http://wiki.godvillegame.com

There are no silly questions!

Just like at Eglinton West, there are(/will be) TBM shafts on either side of the existing subway, so the TBMs don't need to interfere with the operating line.

The connecting segment will be built as cut-and-cover, part-and-parcel with the station construction. This lets them keep close tabs on the stability of the existing subway tunnel.

Probably the same way they've managed to dig out a whole new story beneath Union Station while keeping it open.
But I thought that "cut and cover" referred specifically to creating a tunnel by digging a trench from the surface down to the level one wanted, then covering over the exposed section. And that won't work if the subway crosses above the level of the LRT tunnel.

But I thought that "cut and cover" referred specifically to creating a tunnel by digging a trench from the surface down to the level one wanted, then covering over the exposed section. And that won't work if the subway crosses above the level of the LRT tunnel.

It does, but bear in mind that in conventional cut and cover, the excavation may unearth things like sewers and water mains, and just leave these hanging in mid-air (I'm exaggerating, they are braced or supported) while the excavation continues downwards. A lot of the old photos of the Yonge Subway excavation show this clearly.

Excavating under the subway is much the same, albeit a bit bigger engineering challenge. The existing subway can "hang" in the air while things are built beneath it.

- Paul

I get that, but are you saying that they will literally be trenching across Eglinton, or instead just continuing to dig the tunnel under the surface by other methods than the TBMs?

I get that, but are you saying that they will literally be trenching across Eglinton, or instead just continuing to dig the tunnel under the surface by other methods than the TBMs?

I'm out of my depth here, and I haven't seen the plan. But it would not be a shovelled equivalent of a TBM bore.

If you look at how they built the West Toronto Diamond underpass, they went downwards right at the crossing and put in a temporary bridging structure to support the railway tracks. Then, when the overpass proper was done, they excavated the outer ends of the trench. I could see a similar approach used here, because the central part would take the longest and require the most temporary support.

- Paul

Back