News   Jul 04, 2024
 863     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 710     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 611     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Apparently it's a mid-March rollout. Just saw this, which gives a sense of the timetable. It's only the 10-ride tickets you can load up with, for starters...

http://www.yorkregion.com/news/article/901191--2011-key-for-york-transit
2011 key for York transit
Region considers adding post-secondary fare

Big changes are coming for transit riders in the new year, not the least of which is the long-awaited Presto card.

Starting in mid-March the green card will allow York Region Transit and Viva riders to load up with 10-ride ticket purchases and board with a simple swipe.

The program is rolling out across the GTA and for YRT general manager Rick Leary, it's the linchpin for an innovative, integrated transit program.

He oversaw a similar rollout during his time in Boston's transit front office and he's excited about what it will mean here.

Staff are now installing Presto card readers on 450 buses and at Viva stations.

All Richmond Hill line GO stations and GO buses should also be on Presto by spring, allowing, users to move from one system to the other with one card.

When the system is launched, it will only offer the 10-ride tickets, but will soon grow to include monthly passes and other options.

After six to eight months monitoring the system, YRT will assess its impact on revenues and look at other fare options, including possible loyalty programs.

Keziah Garber already has one idea YRT could look at: introducing a discounted fare for post-secondary students.

The University of Toronto student said it takes her about 100 minutes to get from her Thornhill Woods home to the downtown campus each morning. She typically finds herself on a bus with people who have paid the same as her for a monthly pass, but, she notes, they are headed off to jobs where they will earn an income.

She wrote a letter to YRT noting, "I, on the other hand, pay the fare so that I can get to school, where I pay more money just to attend."

After years of lobbying by students, the TTC introduced a post-secondary Metropass in the summer.

A regular Metropass costs $121, while the post-secondary version goes for $99.

Introducing one is not a priority, but York transit will consider it, Mr. Leary said.

Meanwhile, the $250-million Presto system is already being used on some GO routes, but not without controversy, as the TTC announced it will go ahead with its own fare system.

While Presto is supposed to be a GTA system, the TTC has, by far, the biggest share of riders.

When it meets in December, TTC will consider proceeding with an RFP for an open payment system it argues is more advanced than Presto.

Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne has warned Toronto will have transit funding cut off if it goes it alone, but the transit commission has touted the benefits of an open payment system.

Already being tested on several North American transit systems, open payment allows residents to pay by swiping cellphones or credit cards, rather than a proprietary card riders reload.

Presto is already looking at next generation technology that will operate similarly, Ms Wynne announced last month.

Mr. Leary thinks things are headed in the right direction and wherever they end up, riders will enjoy the convenience of a single, customer-friendly card.

Coming out of the 2009 recession, YRT/Viva is at record ridership and Mr. Leary said 2010 is expected be the biggest year since local transit systems were amalgamated in 2001.

Final ridership numbers could approach 20 million, Mr. Leary said.

He couldn't say if a fare hike was likely, but a recent staff report suggested that may happen.

About 40 per cent of the transit budget comes from the fare box, the balance is subsidized by taxpayers. The region wants fare box revenues to increase to 50 per cent in the next few years.

Rapid transit bus lanes and new bus purchases have increased costs, making a 25-cent fare increase necessary, the region said.

Also new on the transit front was the unveiling, yesterday, of Viva's new articulated buses.

A contract with Nova Bus, a Quebec division of Volvo, will see 46 of the $1-million buses hit the streets in the next few years.

The cost is split between the federal, provincial and regional governments.

Attending the event in Markham were Newmarket-Aurora MP Lois Brown, Markham-Unionville MPP Michael Chan, York Region chairperson Bill Fisch and Metrolinx president Bruce McCuaig.

Apparently it's a mid-March rollout. Just saw this, which gives a sense of the timetable. It's only the 10-ride tickets you can load up with, for starters...
The "ten ride" part of this article is utter nonsense, of course. Presto operates on individual fares, with GO - at least - offering increasing discounts the more rides you take during a given month. There are no passes on Presto, at least at present.

There's an update on Presto on the agenda Monday's Metrolinx board meeting. Much of the update talks up the "Presto Next Generation" project, but it does include the following updated schedule:

November 2010: TTC Don Mills and Downsview Subway Stations
December 2010: GO Transit’s Lakeshore East Rail Line begins, TTC Finch Subway Station
Early 2011: GO Transit’s Barrie, Richmond Hill and Stouffville Rail Lines
January 2011: Mississauga Initial rollout (completed April 2011)
February 2011: Hamilton Street Railway
March 2011: York Region Transit, Durham Region Transit, and Brampton Transit
Spring 2011: GO Transit Bus Service
Early 2012: OC Transpo (Ottawa)

http://www.metrolinx.com/docs/Agendas/Nov16_10/Metrolinx_Update_November16_v6.pdf

I wonder whether other transit systems in areas that GO touches will think of adopting Presto? Kitchener, Niagara Falls, Peterborough, for example?

I've read somewhere that GRT (Waterloo, Kitchener, Cambridge, etc) was looking towards it.

Considering KW is getting a Presto reader at the forthcoming GO station, they've got their foot in the door. KW will need a proof-of-payment system of some sort anyway for its LRT, so that could provide a small testing zone before they consider a full rollout on the whole system.

The "ten ride" part of this article is utter nonsense, of course. Presto operates on individual fares, with GO - at least - offering increasing discounts the more rides you take during a given month. There are no passes on Presto, at least at present.

I recall PRESTO materials describing that the system is already capable of supporting passes. If you look at a balance checker screen, there is an indicator for "Passes loaded". YRT/VIVA mayl be implementing this exactly as they described.

The problem with starting to sell 10-packs of tickets on the card, is you end up with the problem I hear that they have in Quebec. You might well have ticket packs for Montreal, Laval, and a Rigaud monthly pass loaded ... however you try and get on a bus in Brossard one day, and you haven't loaded any of those tickets.

Presto seems to be a lot more flexible than Opus (which as far as I can tell, doesn't work in a basic cash for fare mode when you tap); and it would be disappointing if individual agencies start to make it more difficult.

I'm assuming the initial 10-pack is a transition phase from the existing YRT/TTC passes you can buy. As they agencies finalize new revenue-sharing agreements, they will replace the old system with the more progessive standard Presto pay model.

It's the other side to the Presto roll out, the political manuvering that goes on behind the scenes while hardware is mobilized on the ground and buses.

Peterboro & Presto... Any updates?

I wonder whether other transit systems in areas that GO touches will think of adopting Presto? Kitchener, Niagara Falls, Peterborough, for example?

I understand Peterborough Transit was shopping for a new fare collection system this year.

Looking through the city site, I see they signed a deal with one Garival.

Here's a snip from the RFP, where I see no specific mention of compatibility with Presto:

7.4 Functional Requirements
The plan is to implement an automated transit fare collection system that collects,
validates, counts cash fare payments, involves the use of magnetic strip ticketing, and
could involve the use of smart cards, multi-ride tickets and magnetic striped transfers.
The City shall make the final decision on functionality and options.
P-03-10 Supply and Delivery of An Automatic Fare Collection System Page 11
7.4.1 Automated Fare Collection Functionality
The system must:
a. Have the flexibility to allow Peterborough Transit to offer additional cards and
other time based passes as well as the flexibility to set concession fares.
b. Be capable of recognizing, recording and reporting multiple fare categories.
c. Be capable of adding more categories in the future.
d. Permit passengers to transfer from one bus to another and track transfer usage.
Transfers must contain a date, time and issuing bus route. Transfers must be
human and machine-readable with preference given to a system that both
issues and accepts transfers in the farebox. Preference would also be given to
a transfer that is more durable. We will not accept news print quality paper.
Preference would be given to transfers that are magnetically stripe coded.
Supplier to specify. Peterborough Transit does not use or accept tokens.

I was thinking about visiting Montréal next year and find out that they use an OPUS card system. See this link. My family would only be there for a weekend, but I see that they don't sell tickets anymore. The OPUS card seems to be similar to the PRESTO card. To use the OPUS see this link. I notice that there is a fee charged to get an OPUS card. However, there is still a single cash fare is available.

Would PRESTO be similar in nature and handled the same as OPUS? What about tourists? If a tourist only visits once a year or every 5 years, would the OPUS or PRESTO still work?

Maybe the hotels should include an empty fare card for tourists as part of their services.

Take a look at the Montreal page on fares http://www.stm.info/English/tarification/a-index.htm look particularly at the Fare card pages. Last summer I bought a 3-day pass which was great and passes also give access to the airbus from Trudeau Airport. One day is $7, 3 days is $14. You can put these passes onto your Opus Card but can buy them separately which is clearly better unless you will visit often when the $6 fee for the Opus card is worthwhile.

I was thinking about visiting Montréal next year and find out that they use an OPUS card system. See this link. My family would only be there for a weekend, but I see that they don't sell tickets anymore.

Montreal does indeed still sell tickets. It's not really made very clear, but that's what the section under Magnetic Card is on the STM fares page that you linked. You can get them in singles, 1 day, or 3 day passes from either the collector booth or the fare machine. As for the OPUS cards, the ones they're selling these days seem to be good until 2014.

During the period from November 24th to November 29th, PRESTO is planning several system improvements to make your travel faster, easier and more convenient.

I had heard a website upgrade was coming, but from the looks of this anouncement it may be the rollout of other features as well. Perhaps support for student and senior fares?

Back