News   Jul 04, 2024
 945     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 749     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 623     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

1) You don't have to pay the entire cost of the pass at the beginning of the month since it's a pay as you go account. The discount you get at the end of the month is still roughly the same as a monthly pass. Also, if you end up taking a week off work then you won't pay for the trips you didn't use. Those are the primary benefits in my opinion.
2) Yes, they have portable RFID scanners.

Thanks for your response RedRocket191.
One more question came to mind:
How do I get the tax refund with Presto as I currently do with my GO monthly passes?
Technically, the Presto cards are not monthly passes.

Thanks for your response RedRocket191.
One more question came to mind:
How do I get the tax refund with Presto as I currently do with my GO monthly passes?
Technically, the Presto cards are not monthly passes.

The law is worded such that you do not have to purchase a monthly pass to obtain the credit, but only have proof of taking 32 or more trips in a month on a transit system. The PRESTO website will have downloadable reports of your total usage.

The law is worded such that you do not have to purchase a monthly pass to obtain the credit, but only have proof of taking 32 or more trips in a month on a transit system. The PRESTO website will have downloadable reports of your total usage.

So keep your transit transfers for the entire month or year, as proof, if one does not use passes?

Interestingly, both times an inspector came around, I just showed him/her my card they nodded and kept walking. :confused:

Consider yourself lucky then!

The tax credit site says:

1. What other public transit costs are eligible for a tax credit?
Starting January 1, 2007, in addition to monthly public transit passes, the public transit tax credit has been expanded to include costs for:

* Shorter duration passes if:
o each pass entitles you to unlimited travel for an uninterrupted period of at least 5 days; and
o enough of these passes are purchased so that you are entitled to unlimited travel for at least 20 days in any 28-day period.
* Cost-per-trip electronic payment cards if:
o the card is used for at least 32 one-way trips during an uninterrupted period not more than 31 days; and
o if the card is issued by a public transit authority that records and provides a receipt for the cost and usage of the card.

If the TTC moved to a two-hour time limited transfer and you purchased one every 1 hr 59 minutes for 20 days then you could technically claim those. That would be 240+ fares with each one expiring after the next became valid. $720 at the cash rate. This is assuming the transfer satisfies all the other documentation requirements, of course

Interestingly, both times an inspector came around, I just showed him/her my card they nodded and kept walking. :confused:
I'd think inspectors are looking for low-hanging fruit. At this early stage of Presto implementation, you likely tapped in, and they know it.

Or they don't have their hand-held scanners yet.

I noticed some signs about upcoming Presto Construction during Fall 2010 posted in Lakeshore East stations. Hopefully the construction itself will follow soon!
Cabling was completed yesterday morning at Ajax GO, so it's now waiting for the equipment installation. I'd assume that the same crews are working other Lakeshore East stations.

Not sure if this has been posted yet? (forgive the source being the Sun, - got the link from SpacingTO, i swear!)

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/10/18/15736041.html

New technology on the way for Presto fare card: Minister

You’ll soon be able to tap and swipe your way to work on public transit, says Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne.

In response to a friendly question from Liberal backbencher Kevin Flynn, Wynne told the Legislature Monday the government has started to develop the “next generation” of technology.

The province and TTC clashed earlier this year over which technology to use for fare payment across the GTA.

In July, the province defended its choice of the Presto card — which has a radio-enabled microchip that’s swiped at the farebox, with the fare is deducted automatically.

Wynne said she wants to avoid duplication and ensure there is a seamless system of payment across the GTA.

TTC chairman Adam Giambrone said that technology is out of date, and said he favoured open payment, a system that allowed commuters to tap their credit cards, debit cards and cellphones at stations to pay their fare.

Wynne issued a press release at that time, pointing out that the provincial government was providing funding for Transit City on the understanding that they adopt the Presto card.

She said at that time Presto could evolve to use credit and debit cards, as well as cellphones.

That technology is now being developed, she said Monday.

“We’ve also begun to develop the next generation of Presto technology...

“What will happen is Presto will be able to accept different types of payments, such as contactless credit cards, debit cards and cellphones,” Wynne said.

Fourteen thousand riders have signed on to the Presto card since it came out. Over the summer it was rolled out on the Lakeshore west GO line, Oakville Transit, Burlington Transit and at nine TTC stations.

This fall it’s going to go live on the Milton and Georgetown GO lines. By March 2011, it will be fully rolled out on all seven GO Transit lines, including buses, and eight municipal transit systems in the GTA.

Giambrone did not return calls or e-mails for comment.

From my experience, the GO Special Constables are issued the RFID scanners and will check fares on trips Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8pm. Outside those times, fares are checked by "Transit Security" who do not yet have these scanners and will just accept you showing them a PRESTO card.

From my experience, the GO Special Constables are issued the RFID scanners and will check fares on trips Monday to Friday, 8 am to 8pm. Outside those times, fares are checked by "Transit Security" who do not yet have these scanners and will just accept you showing them a PRESTO card.

Transit Security = GO Special Constables.

The people you're thinking of are Provincial Offenses Officers, who are not (necessarily) special constables and are generally only used for ticket inspections.

Cabling was completed yesterday morning at Ajax GO, so it's now waiting for the equipment installation. I'd assume that the same crews are working other Lakeshore East stations.
I spotted that all the cabling seemed to be completed at Danforth this evening. I didn't see any sign of it on Saturday.

I guess after they've got so many stations under their belt, that they can knock them of pretty quickly now.

I spotted that all the cabling seemed to be completed at Danforth this evening. I didn't see any sign of it on Saturday.

I guess after they've got so many stations under their belt, that they can knock them of pretty quickly now.

Ajax should have the equipment installed next week.

Back