News   Jun 19, 2024
 793     2 
News   Jun 19, 2024
 415     0 
News   Jun 19, 2024
 583     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Oh joy - more clueless riders trying to tap their phone, and blocking everyone boarding while they try and troubleshoot their devices ...
The only times I've had a problem was after I swapped from my old phone to a new one and I hadn't swapped it over properly, and when Google accidentally broke NFC access in the first public version of Android 15 beta, it was about a week before they fixed it luckily I had a backup phone I could use for it for the time being.
Otherwise I always make sure that my phone is awake and unlocked.

I tried to add it to my watch when it wasn't working on my phone but couldn't find a way to add my existing card to it only a new one.

Oh joy - more clueless riders trying to tap their phone, and blocking everyone boarding while they try and troubleshoot their devices ...
I have not seen that happen a lot. I’m sure it will happen, but nowhere near enough to be a serious issue.

Plus, that’s why one has multiple faregates. (Buses may be more problematic)

I have not seen that happen a lot. I’m sure it will happen, but nowhere near enough to be a serious issue.

Plus, that’s why one has multiple faregates. (Buses may be more problematic)
I see it on about 1 in 20 or so. With delays varying, most just move aside into the bus.

But I've only noticed. it on buses. But it could be a problem too at busy farelines with only 2 gates, which are enough of a challenge when there a crowd trying to go both ways.

My phone is finicky with how close I hold it to a presto reader, and I've definately held up people a few times getting on buses, but now I've got the hang of it. I don't know if it's just me, but reading the Google Wallet presto card seems more sensitive to how I hold the phone than with a Google Wallet credit card. I really like that I can tap by only powering on the phone with the button instead of fully unlocking it, in which case I would have to go into Google Wallet and specifically select the Presto Card, otherwise it would use my creit card.

Picked up a "Limited Edition" Presto card today. Hilariously this card is even more flimsy that my older Presto card, and it's just a normal Presto card with a sticker affixed...
1000006919.jpg

So I did some more "testing" on my presto card to see how onefare works in the real world. I've already found out that tapping on go first then TTC extends the TTC to a 3 hour transfer (starting from whenever you tapped onto go)

It turns out you can tap onto the TTC, tap onto the go within 2 hours, and then tap onto the TTC again. And the 2nd TTC trip is FREE & the TTC portion of the transfer is good for 3 hours after the GO tap.

1718252691964.png

Back