News   Jul 19, 2019
 882     0 
News   Jul 19, 2019
 1.6K     2 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Megaton327

Member Bio
Reaction score
Then why are the green machines doing on a UPX platform? ARRGHHH!
I think the signage is extraordinarily clear and easy to understand. The gray machine is solely for passengers taking the UPX to/from pearson. The green machine is for passengers travelling between Union, Bloor, Weston, and any other GO rail stations; as it is a GO machine, it deducts GO fares, including things like monthly capping, their post-secondary student discount, and allowing for transfers between other GO rail lines or buses and the UPX. The UPX presto reader is not integrated with GO so you don't get a transfer or monthly capping etc.

I have long said it would make much more sense to only have the green GO reader and get rid of the gray one, but with this signage they've installed I don't see how this could be even slightly confusing. Suboptimal/inefficient, yes, but not in any way unclear to passengers.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Metrolinx doesn't plan on using vehicle location data for FBD. Their FBD plans involve flat fares for local transit, and FBD for things like commuter rail, subways, LRT and BRT where tapping off (at fixed card readers) is feasible.
What about GO Buses? Surely they need to know the vehicle location when you tap off. I don't see how you put tap off machines at every GO bus stop.

So the transit control center knows exactly where the bus is but Presto doesn't.
Transit control doesn't always know quite where the bus is.

This one seems to be in Lake Ontario right now!
upload_2017-12-3_4-53-29.png

Gosh, and here's another!
upload_2017-12-3_4-55-23.png

Attachments

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Green means "GO', grey means "UPX". Green means "GO', grey means "UPX". Green means "GO', grey means "UPX". Green means "GO', grey means "UPX". Green means "GO', grey means "UPX". Green means "GO', grey means "UPX".
Yes, it is really quite confusing to have two possible tap-on and tap-off possibilities sitting side by side. Surely PRESTO can be programed to realise that if you tap on at Pearson and tap off at the UPX platform at Union you came from the airport. If you tap on at Weston and off at the UPX platform at Union you came from Weston. The system seems able to deal with different fares for people who go from Aldershot to Union vs Exhibition to Union.

cbrown2009

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes. But there are only gray machines at the airport station, not green ones. And the two are not yet integrated. It’s a hassle, but what to do?

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes. But there are only gray machines at the airport station, not green ones. And the two are not yet integrated. It’s a hassle, but what to do?
It's simple if you use the UPX as a go train you tap on the go reader if you take it to or from the airport you use the UPX reader.

nfitz

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Oh, I haven't seen that version of the tracker. Where's that? Have they got buses tracked yet? (which I seldom use)

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
As you have to tap on and off I fail to see why one needs 2 different machines. Surely 'the system' should be able to deal with this.
Unfortunately presto doesn't work that way. UPX is sort of separate from the go network but you can use it as a go train from any of the stations that go trains can stop at as well.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
What about GO Buses? Surely they need to know the vehicle location when you tap off. I don't see how you put tap off machines at every GO bus stop.

Transit control doesn't always know quite where the bus is.

This one seems to be in Lake Ontario right now!
View attachment 129122

Gosh, and here's another!
View attachment 129123
That is actually hilarious.

amnesiajune

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not to go on about this but i realise 'that's how PRESTO works" - my question is WHY and why can't it be changed?
I think it's a Metrolinx thing. They're keeping trips to/from the airport separate from trips within the city for accounting purposes.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I think it's a Metrolinx thing. They're keeping trips to/from the airport separate from trips within the city for accounting purposes.
I would have thought that they could do this behind the scenes without inconveniencing and confusing customers. Presumably they use PRESTO info to work out the ridership on individual GO routes, surely UPX is like another GO route (with a higher fare).