671     2 
News   Sep 20, 2019
 1.6K     2 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Because experts know a lot more than random people on the internet. That's why they get paid, and we don't.
Yes, experts do generally know more thsn amateurs but sometimes they can fail to see a simple solution because"we never do things that way". I suspect there is some good (?) reason why we need two PRESTO machines for UPX but would like to know what it is.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Because experts know a lot more than random people on the internet. That's why they get paid, and we don't.
Unfortunately @amnesiajune This discussion demonstrates precisely how “experts”get things wrong. And they do.

Once upon a time, I was having a discussion with a German person about his qualifications. He had a PhD. Which the engineers at Queen’s when I was there used to call post-hole digger. The German wanted to be something here in North America because of his qualifications.

I told him that while qualifications are important, that in North America we care much more about what you have DONE and what you can DO than WHO you are.

I think a great deal of the discussion here has proven to me that so-called experts frequently get things wrong.

Last edited:

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
so instead of making it bright and visible, screaming "try me", they chose the dark and practically invisible colour scheme?

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
so instead of making it bright and visible, screaming "try me", they chose the dark and practically invisible colour scheme?
To be fair, I would be happier if they had just went with easy to maintain and handsome chrome. But why is the PIN pad placed so far away (nevermind why we need a PIN pad when you have a screen to work with to start)?

AoD

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
To be fair, I would be happier if they had just went with easy to maintain and handsome chrome. But why is the PIN pad placed so far away (nevermind why we need a PIN pad when you have a screen to work with to start)?

AoD
The PIN pad is, I think, for credit/debit cards and one probably does NOT want that screen so large it can be seen by people waiting in line?

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
The PIN pad is, I think, for credit/debit cards and one probably does NOT want that screen so large it can be seen by people waiting in line?
Being on the screen doesn't mean having to have it taking up the whole screen. Besides, isn't this an AODA issue with those tiny chicklet PIN pad keys? I just find the whole thing messy - with a proliferation of slots and interfaces all over the place. It is worse than an ATM machine.

AoD

smuncky

Member Bio
Reaction score
The lighting and my phone's camera makes it look brown, it's actually black. Similar to the new PRESTO Cards.
Phew. At least it's consistent w/ their new branding. Had a bit of a facepalm moment thinking they ditched it again in favor of brown.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score