News   Apr 24, 2024
 15     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 412     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.8K     6 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Transit control doesn't always know quite where the bus is.

This one seems to be in Lake Ontario right now!

GO Trains seem to follow a similar route.
Train 727.jpg

Attachments

• Train 727.jpg
    Train 727.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 489
Oh, I haven't seen that version of the tracker. Where's that? Have they got buses tracked yet? (which I seldom use)

As you have to tap on and off I fail to see why one needs 2 different machines. Surely 'the system' should be able to deal with this.
Unfortunately presto doesn't work that way. UPX is sort of separate from the go network but you can use it as a go train from any of the stations that go trains can stop at as well.

What about GO Buses? Surely they need to know the vehicle location when you tap off. I don't see how you put tap off machines at every GO bus stop.

Transit control doesn't always know quite where the bus is.

This one seems to be in Lake Ontario right now!
View attachment 129122

Gosh, and here's another!
View attachment 129123
That is actually hilarious.

Not to go on about this but i realise 'that's how PRESTO works" - my question is WHY and why can't it be changed?

I think it's a Metrolinx thing. They're keeping trips to/from the airport separate from trips within the city for accounting purposes.

I think it's a Metrolinx thing. They're keeping trips to/from the airport separate from trips within the city for accounting purposes.
I would have thought that they could do this behind the scenes without inconveniencing and confusing customers. Presumably they use PRESTO info to work out the ridership on individual GO routes, surely UPX is like another GO route (with a higher fare).

A quarter-billion dollar GTA-wide system that records and tracks fares for a half dozen transit agencies, including co-fare and inter-operator transfer fare distribution ledgers, but can't handle the accounting to distinguish UPX vs GO fares, based on a single "If" statement (If endpoint=Pearson, use UPE fare table, else use GO fare table)?

It's more likely a change order that hasn't been processed. The GO fares, after all, were a bolt-on added after the UPE dedicated readers were installed. An odd place for Presto to be pinching pennies, all the same. Probably just a low priority change.

I wonder what actually happens to the fare calculation if one taps on at Pearson, but taps off somewhere using the GO reader.

- Paul

Presumably they use PRESTO info to work out the ridership on individual GO routes, surely UPX is like another GO route (with a higher fare).

UPX is completely separate from Go Transit. It's an independent division of Metrolinx on its own.

A quarter-billion dollar GTA-wide system that records and tracks fares for a half dozen transit agencies, including co-fare and inter-operator transfer fare distribution ledgers, but can't handle the accounting to distinguish UPX vs GO fares, based on a single "If" statement (If endpoint=Pearson, use UPE fare table, else use GO fare table)?

Presto is just a bunch of off-the-shelf products that are configured to work as one system. Nobody's writing code for Presto like you seem to suggest.

Presto is just a bunch of off-the-shelf products that are configured to work as one system. Nobody's writing code for Presto like you seem to suggest.

Those two statements contradict each other. Someone took the off-the-shelf components and coded something so they would work together. Whoever did this left out some fairly basic and simple to implement functionality.

UPX is completely separate from Go Transit. It's an independent division of Metrolinx on its own.
It may be a separate Division (though I thought it was going to be integrated at some point) but no matter, passengers on the GO part of Metrolinx use PRESTO, passengers on the UPX part of Metrolinx use PRESTO and PRESTO is run by Metrolinx. It is really not asking too much to have the tapping process integrated too!

I wonder what actually happens to the fare calculation if one taps on at Pearson, but taps off somewhere using the GO reader.

You get a missed tap off for UPX, which will charge the $12 maximum fare for Union to Pearson. Funnily enough, riding between Union and Pearson, you can just as easily tap on a gray reader and not bother tapping off.

Your GO "tap off" will in fact end up being a tap on to GO, so a few hours later when you don't tap off you will be charged the maximum GO fare from that station. I believe regardless of it being Weston, Bloor, or Union that means you get charged a fare from whichever station it is to Kitchener, I think GO currently uses Kitchener as the most expensive/maximum missed tap off fare from Union (St Catharines and Niagara Falls are more expensive but since they're seasonal they exclude those).

At that point you can probably contact GO and get them to refund you that fare. It would be obvious to a customer service rep who sees your Presto history to look at a 12:00 PM UPX tap on, a 12:25 PM GO tap on, and missed tap offs for UPX and GO, and connect the dots, if they're feeling kind.

A quarter-billion dollar GTA-wide system ...

Quarter billion? That's a tad short. The operating subsidy on Presto in 2016 alone was around $60M; that's subsidy after the municipalities all kicked in a chunk of ticket revenue (I'm not aware of a single published number).

Presto is a money eating machine.

Back