News   Jul 16, 2024
 82     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 261     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I hadn't realised that Hong Kong's transit system was still mostly only the 58-some stations and 70 streetcars that Octopus used back in 1997. In which case, the comparison has no validity in the first place, other than an example of a system that was more expensive than Presto.

I haven't commented on Singapore's transit system. Though past history has shown us that right-wing dictators do often provide good rail and transit service. Nothing new there. Is it a model we want to follow? I don't think so ...

Right. So in essence, objecting to the use of one or another transit system as a good example bears no relation to one's opinion of the political system of the country where it is located.

Right. So in essence, objecting to the use of one or another transit system as a good example bears no relation to one's opinion of the political system of the country where it is located.
Of course it does. You can't compare the economics of Toronto to highly-corrupt right-wing or communist dictatorships. I'm simply pointing out that even if one disagree's (and one could make a case that when Octopus was first tendered in 1994, Hong Kong was still under control of a comparable democracy to Canada), there's not even any evidence that Octopus installation was cheaper, given that the $100 million+ cost 20 years ago only got you 50+ stations and 70 streetcar.

It seems the goal of a Metropass should be to get people who would otherwise drive to take transit. One way of encouraging this is to lower the cost, or at less lower the number of times per month is should be used.

Currently, there are many people who commute about 20 days a month (maybe a touch less with the odd vacation day, holiday, or sick day) - that's 40 trips tops. These people do not buy a Metropass since they do not make enough trips. When the occasion arises that they need to use the TTC above and beyond the normal commuting, they take the car instead of transit. Maybe the transit pass should include diminishing costs. Such as $2.75 for the first 10 trips per month, $2.50 for the next 10, $2.25 for the next 10, $2.00 for the next 10, $1.50 for the next 10, and $1 for the remaining trips.

Toronto and the TTC has more people using public transit during the non-rush hours than most North American cities. On Sunday, for example, the 510 Spadina has headways of better than 4 or 3 minutes at noon (see link). On a Sunday! In most US cities, there could be no Sunday service. If you can't use the service, then the price includes that exclusive, hence the cheaper price. If you can use the service 24-hour a day, the price would be higher.

It seems the goal of a Metropass should be to get people who would otherwise drive to take transit. One way of encouraging this is to lower the cost, or at less lower the number of times per month is should be used.

Currently, there are many people who commute about 20 days a month (maybe a touch less with the odd vacation day, holiday, or sick day) - that's 40 trips tops. These people do not buy a Metropass since they do not make enough trips. When the occasion arises that they need to use the TTC above and beyond the normal commuting, they take the car instead of transit. Maybe the transit pass should include diminishing costs. Such as $2.75 for the first 10 trips per month, $2.50 for the next 10, $2.25 for the next 10, $2.00 for the next 10, $1.50 for the next 10, and $1 for the remaining trips.

The reducing price model is exactly how Presto replaced the monthly passes on GO

Looks okay on my phone.
Looks fine on the Internet.

If you want a real blast from the past, check out TTC's 2004 website - https://web.archive.org/web/20041104064736/http://www.toronto.ca/ttc/ or the 1999 website https://web.archive.org/web/19990302032930/http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/

Concession fares are now active on TTC according to the Presto website - https://www.prestocard.ca/en-US/Pages/ContentPages/FaresTravel.aspx#TTC - $1.85 for students and seniors. 60¢ for children 6 and above. No indication what children 2 to 6 are supposed to do.

have the platform machines also been updated to Presto ?
Not according to Presto when I asked them on Friday - only 4400 and 4404 as far as I know. No mention of platform machines on website. Shame, because it would be useful to use them to grab a ticket for other routes from the same stop, and for the CLRVs.

Not according to Presto when I asked them on Friday - only 4400 and 4404 as far as I know. No mention of platform machines on website. Shame, because it would be useful to use them to grab a ticket for other routes from the same stop, and for the CLRVs.

yes it would be nice - as we can use those fare machines for the 509 on queens quay too.

They should have added PRESTO to the new articulated buses, and any other new buses, as they arrive as well.

I certainly hope that any new stations opening, like the TYSSE and Eglinton LRT line, includes PRESTO from day one.

They should have added PRESTO to the new articulated buses, and any other new buses, as they arrive as well.
Presumably they will once they've got a new deviced for buses tested and finalized.

Has there been any sign of this yet? I haven't heard of it.

Back