News   Mar 28, 2024
 151     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 594     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 366     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

This could go in the retail thread, but this seems an apt spot; a new, Toronto-based, vending machine company, Daily Blends, that does food and beverage has inked a deal to roll out its machine to multiple GO Stations.

The story at Retail-Insider:

Image from the story:

1678212293878.png

They're already in the Union Station Bus Terminal.

Now to find a way to get these folks into the TTC, starting with the stations with no retail in them and then those where the terrible news stands rarely bother opening.

Company site: https://dailyblends.com/

Last edited:
This could go in the retail thread, but this seems an apt spot; a new, Toronto-based, vending machine company, Daily Blends, that does food and beverage has inked a deal to roll out its machine to multiple GO Stations.

Interesting. I've regularly gone hunting for something near Aldershot GO station after a day on the Bruce Trail. Since that station is on their future location list, I'll probably use it over the not-so-great offerings on Plains Road.

Interesting. I've regularly gone hunting for something near Aldershot GO station after a day on the Bruce Trail. Since that station is on their future location list, I'll probably use it over the not-so-great offerings on Plains Road.

Interesting again.

That's a journey I've thought of making more than once; i thought the hike to the trail entry point looked annoyingly long; same for RBG

I've been wanting to see more appealing connections between the respective trail networks and GO.

I own a car, but its a long drive; these days, I'd rather read a book or do a crossword if the timing is reasonable.

But when I get off the train I don't want a 2km hike to the hike, or to have to double-back.

Last edited:
Damn, did I miss the press release and ceremony for this?

Oh, for the days when Steven Del Duca was Minister…. there would have been a presser at every station that got one of those machines….

- Paul
Make no mistake Del Duca will be first one on the scene if these vending machines make it to Rutherford GO.

I've never seen such a desperate, sad, attention seeking little boy in my life.

Interesting again.

That's a journey I've thought of making more than once; i thought the hike to the trail entry point looked annoyingly long; same for RBG

I've been wanting to see more appealing connections between the respective trail networks and GO.

I own a car, but its a long drive; these days, I'd rather read a book or do a crossword if the timing is reasonable.

But when I get off the train I don't want a 2km hike to the hike, or a have to double-back.

Yeah, going to RBG for us meant a transfer to Burlington Transit Route 1 at Burlington Station, rather than the closer Aldershot Station. The free transfer to 905 agencies helps make it more appealing.

Interesting again.

Look up Cumis Insurance Trail just north of Aldershot on North Service Road, it connects to Old Waterdown Road and you can find BT side-trail connections at Horning Road. I usually follow BT west to a side-trail leading to the RBG Coots Sanctuary, which (follow Old Guelph Road/York to Valley Inn bridge) isn't too far from Hendrie Valley. The circuit is about 26km, though you can add some distance by starting in Burlington (Kerncliff Park) instead.

That said, you can also head to Milton (RattleSnake Point) but BT follow a lot of roadway for that section (~40km to the Milton GO bus stop).

Other GO accessible segments are Aldershot to downtown Hamilton via Dundas Valley (~45km), St. Catharines (start at Twelve Trail) to Niagara Falls (~40km) and Milton to Georgetown Station via Limehouse (~35km).

Last edited:
Look up Cumis Insurance Trail just north of Aldershot on North Service Road, it connects to Old Waterdown Road and you can find BT side-trail connections at Horning Road. I usually follow BT west to a side-trail leading to the RBG Coots Sanctuary, which (follow Old Guelph Road/York to Valley Inn bridge) isn't too far from Hendrie Valley. The circuit is about 26km, though you can add some distance by starting in Burlington (Kerncliff Park) instead.

That said, you can also head to Milton (RattleSnake Point) but BT follow a lot of roadway for that section (~40km to the Milton GO bus stop).

Other GO accessible segments are Aldershot to downtown Hamilton via Dundas Valley (~45km), St. Catharines (start at Twelve Trail) to Niagara Falls (~40km) and Milton to Georgetown Station via Limehouse (~35km).

Thanks for all the info; have to say, you must be incredibly fit to do 45km segments in one go.

When I was younger, I did ~20km a couple of times, hiking back from Tobermory to Cyprus Lake.

But these days, I'm more into 12-15km as a good outing. 3-4 hours on the trail, with as little on-road as is practical. I prefer linear hikes, but don't mind loops as long as one doesn't cover too much of the same ground.

But I think I can take some of what you've given me and fashion something that will work for me, so thanks again!

This is mostly a "noise motion" - but it's good to see Toronto Council having the courage to (hopefully) put this on the record - nothing bad can come from dragging this out in the open. Should be an interesting debate.

MM5.22 - The Need for More Openness at Metrolinx Board of Director Meetings - by Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Councillor Mike Colle

- Paul
Considering that the TTC only ever had one joint meeting with them and hasn't been able to schedule one again despite them asking multiple times I don't see the Caty of Toronto doing much better.

Just a thought… one day we might want to achieve a unified exterior livery for all the various operators in the GTA(H). This is what I hope would be an outcome of the Metrolinx ”T” branding. Buses should have a unified exterior livery, but then the individual TA could customize the interior colours as they decide - for example: ceiling, walls, seats and posts.

This will become more important when fare integration finally happens. This would allow for a region-wide branding, but allow each separate operator to retain their current colour schemes in some meaningful way. I believe this is how it was done in London with the private operators, however my experiences are from Helsinki.

Here is an example from my hometown (Tampere):

IMG_1926.JPG

Source

The interior colours are composed of the company’s former exterior colours, before the region decided on a blue/white exterior for all buses.

Just a thought… one day we might want to achieve a unified exterior livery for all the various operators in the GTA(H). This is what I hope would be an outcome of the Metrolinx ”T” branding. Buses should have a unified exterior livery, but then the individual TA could customize the interior colours as they decide - for example: ceiling, walls, seats and posts.

This will become more important when fare integration finally happens. This would allow for a region-wide branding, but allow each separate operator to retain their current colour schemes in some meaningful way. I believe this is how it was done in London with the private operators, however my experiences are from Helsinki.

Here is an example from my hometown (Tampere):

IMG_1926.JPG

Source

The interior colours are composed of the company’s former exterior colours, before the region decided on a blue/white exterior for all buses.
While I think some design integration will go a long ways for the agencies of the GTHA… it’ll be a cold day in hell before you convince anyone the TTC should turn away from the red buses and streetcars.

Unless the whole GTA is integrated into one singular transit agency (which I also think is a really poor idea), I really can't see the point. If anything the various liveries are one of the few ways the different municipalities can maintain some kind of identity. It would be a shame to lose that.

Reactions: dkt

Back