News   Apr 25, 2024
 169     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Generally the purpose of the gates is you can be charged for trespassing if you enter, it's why you'll see so many crappy gates (ex the ontario place marina)

This is correct. Tresspassing (generally a note in the police log) becomes Breaking and Entering (up to 10 years prison) if you commit another felony (theft) at the same time. Break refers to passing through a barrier into well identified private space (even an open door can count as a barrier), not physical damage.

This is correct. Tresspassing (generally a note in the police log) becomes Breaking and Entering (up to 10 years prison) if you commit another felony (theft) at the same time.

Not to be unduly pedantic; but Canada does not have 'felonies' that's an American concept

We have indictable offenses.

Just as they use the term misdemeanor where we use summary.

According to this LinkedIn post, Infrastructure Ontario will be taking over TOC development for the GO and LRT stations from Metrolinx in addition to their TOC subway program.

1685651342878.png

From MX's recent presentation to Hamilton City Council... how come their random regional transit network graphics universally get major details wrong? I'm seeing no YNSE, EWLRT, but Line 2 extended to what appears to be STC, and Line 4 extended to... Pickering?

1685739193698.png

Oh, here's a little something for all of you:

@crs1026 , and @reaperexpress among others may take a keen interest in where the current tender dates stands for different things.
Thanks for sharing that.

This does raise a few questions:

Niagara Falls layover: Nice to see this moving forward. Allows the last evening arrival to become the first morning departure thus eliminating two deadhead movements across the notorious Welland Canal bridge. With much easier morning departures, they'd probably reinstate the weekend morning train from NF to Toronto that was cancelled a few years ago (2019?).

Interesting that they only estimate "$$$" for new tracks, signals, bridges and grading along the CN Halton Subdivision. Meanwhile expanding the parking at Aldershot costs "$$$$". I know which one I'd choose if funding became available...

Guelph Sub Track Work: Unfortunate that it is taking until Fall 2023 to start trackwork given that Fall 2023 was the intended start of hourly all-day service to Kitchener as recently as a couple years ago. Very disappointing that they still don't even have a tender date for Kitchener Central Station, given that it was also planned to be complete for Fall 2023. They listed that station as a prerequisite for all day service to Kitchener, though that's not technically true. You don't need multiple platforms for an hourly service, (there doesn't need to be more than one train west of Guelph at a time) but things get pretty tight when you throw in a second train per hour (e.g. at peak periods, and when a VIA train passes through). They might do something like we currently have on Barrie/Stouffville, with hourly midday service but large gaps counter-peak until Kitchener Central opens.

Last edited:
The Mount Pleasant passing track is an odd one, it's not somewhere I'd expect trains to meet based on the other passing tracks under construction, so I assume it's for turnbacks, which would definitely be useful once we have more trains running through to Kitchener. Interesting that they only estimate "$$$" for new tracks, signals, bridges and grading along the CN Halton Subdivision. Meanwhile expanding the parking at Aldershot costs "$$$$". I know which one I'd choose if funding became available...

Did you misread Mount Joy for Mount Pleasant?

A passing track at Mount Joy will be useful to interleave turnback trains from Union with through trains from Lincolnville.

The Barrie and Kitchener lines do this less well, especially Barrie where the turnback train had to deadhead down to Teston and then backtrack to Aurora, when a "through" train came down from Barrie within the hourly format.

I'm equally disappointed in the pace of Kitchener work..... not putting out a tender until 2026 for Georgetown work means the schedule has slipped by years. It's becoming Crosstown 2.0.I sure hope the media figures this out soon.

- Paul

Thanks for sharing that.

This does raise a few questions:

Niagara Falls layover: Nice to see this moving forward. Allows the last evening arrival to become the first morning departure thus eliminating two deadhead movements across the notorious Welland Canal bridge. With much easier morning departures, they'd probably reinstate the weekend morning train from NF to Toronto that was cancelled a few years ago (2019?).

The Mount Pleasant passing track is an odd one, it's not somewhere I'd expect trains to meet based on the other passing tracks under construction, so I assume it's for turnbacks, which would definitely be useful once we have more trains running through to Kitchener. Interesting that they only estimate "$$$" for new tracks, signals, bridges and grading along the CN Halton Subdivision. Meanwhile expanding the parking at Aldershot costs "$$$$". I know which one I'd choose if funding became available...

Guelph Sub Track Work: Unfortunate that it is taking until Fall 2023 to start trackwork given that Fall 2023 was the intended start of hourly all-day service to Kitchener as recently as a couple years ago. Very disappointing that they still don't even have a tender date for Kitchener Central Station, given that it was also planned to be complete for Fall 2023. They listed that station as a prerequisite for all day service to Kitchener, though that's not technically true. You don't need multiple platforms for an hourly service, (there doesn't need to be more than one train west of Guelph at a time) but things get pretty tight when you throw in a second train per hour (e.g. at peak periods, and when a VIA train passes through). They might do something like we currently have on Barrie/Stouffville, with hourly midday service but large gaps counter-peak until Kitchener Central opens.
I don't see Mount Pleasant Passing tracks on the list. Are you referring to Mount Joy Passing tracks which is on the Stouffville Line?

Did you misread Mount Joy for Mount Pleasant?
I don't see Mount Pleasant Passing tracks on the list. Are you referring to Mount Joy Passing tracks which is on the Stouffville Line?
Oh lol oops. Yeah.

A passing track at Mount Joy is very useful, it will finally allow hourly counter peak service from Mount Joy while half-hourly peak service runs.

Oh, here's a little something for all of you:

View attachment 483607

@crs1026 , and @reaperexpress among others may take a keen interest in where the current tender dates stands for different things.
Great catch! Happy to see Oakville upgrades happening. The station train platforms are currently a mix of good covered areas and ramshackle bus shelters. As the second busiest station on the network after Union, it deserves some love.

Back