News   May 17, 2024
 3K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

I'm accusing them of not even putting my question on the initial question batch which has to pass their "moderation" before up/down votes can be casted.

Well that provides more clarity. By "cut" I thought you meant the top 10. Of course they have to moderate questions. No public body would let people post any disseminatory text without the ability to delete it before it goes live.

Well that provides more clarity. By "cut" I thought you meant the top 10. Of course they have to moderate questions. No public body would let people post any disseminatory text without the ability to delete it before it goes live.

And somehow can never quite resist "accidentally" never getting around to approve the ones it doesn't like the answers to.

Rather frustrating when a public agency tells you the answer to a matter that's not confidential in any way shape or form is "we'll tell you when we feel like it".

And somehow can never quite resist "accidentally" never getting around to approve the ones it doesn't like the answers to.

Rather frustrating when a public agency tells you the answer to a matter that's not confidential in any way shape or form is "we'll tell you when we feel like it".
You seem surprised that any body (public or private) would encourage/approve questions to which it either has no answer or where the answer will embarrass them. These kinds of question & answer sessions are a public relations show and you can bet that some questions are 'pre-selected because 'they' have a new program or idea they want to publicise. A bit like Question Period in Parliament where government MPs (or MPPs) do this all the time. Questions about subjects that 'they' want to avoid must be asked by 'the opposition', the press or the police!

You seem surprised that any body (public or private) would encourage/approve questions to which it either has no answer or where the answer will embarrass them. These kinds of question & answer sessions are a public relations show and you can bet that some questions are 'pre-selected because 'they' have a new program or idea they want to publicise. A bit like Question Period in Parliament where government MPs (or MPPs) do this all the time. Questions about subjects that 'they' want to avoid must be asked by 'the opposition', the press or the police!
Or the inverse: Their own party members ask cabinet members in QP on 'X' to get the 'Y' answer, all staged, which is tantamount to a public announcement under very favourable conditions, let alone using up the QP time allotted.

The interview with Prichard is really good and definitely echos a lot of what has been said here....
Steve Paikin raise the extra Kirby GO station being added as an example of Liberals interfering.
He did not cite the Provincial interference in SSE, including the Murray alignment.
He also didn't raise the Metrolinx report that the connected Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown (STC to Mount Dennis) was the best option. (http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regiona...itscases/Benefits_Case-Eglinton_Crosstown.pdf )

Might be too much to ask but is anyone willing to record the questions and answers for those of us who can't attend or watch?
They already livestream it and have the video available a few days later. The questions that they don’t get to are answered online, but the ones that weren’t DON’T get transcribed and refer you to check the video.

If this is your question, it's now up as of yesterday:
There are some excellent questions up there. I tried to 'join', it became a digital nightmare, and when it finally took me to the sign-up page, they wanted to know far too much that had nothing to do with any question I'd ask, let alone just to vote up anyone else's question ( @Leo_Chan take note ). So I exited w/o signing.
That was the question, appreciate the update on that. I really started thinking that Metrolinx didn't want to put my question up as it would risk embarrassing them.

The first several minutes of the videos (especially beginning 3 minutes in), echoes lots of sentiments I already said in this thread:

25-Year Masterplanning (TTC 1950s/60s, Network 2011, GO 2020, Metrolinx 2031, Metrolinx 2041)

Despite being at dismal percentage, the batting average is going up (to EA/construction/etc) -- the masterplans are getting a higher "in progress" percentage rate than any transit masterplan in almost a century.

We're "only 9-years into a kind of a 30-year vision after all" (quote in video), and there's lots of momentum behind the scenes. The snowball effect of many construction completions don't surge out till the 2020s. As I am saying, inefficiencies/scandales/bureaucracies aside -- Metrolinx may be looked back as the best thing that has ever happend to GTHA transit. And lots of good stuff that Ford will want to continue due to lots of 905 constituencies that would benefit. Ford may reprioritize and slow things down (capital-spending wise) but would substantially keep the spirit of Metrolinx 2031/2041 (with some modifications and reprioritizations, e.g. possibly delayed electrification for several routes). The masterplan can throttleup later, but the momentum won't be backwards like it was during the 1990s era. If that is the price we pay for the existence of Metrolinx, it might (when looking back in rearview 20 years later), no matter how much many of us may complain during the journey, may ultimately eventually be looked as one of the better things to happen to GTHA transit.

New Metrolinx chair discusses the company’s vision
What worries me:
The new government has been reticent about some of their plans. How have you been assured that what you see happening with Metrolinx is in line with their vision? What have they told you they plan to do?

When I was talking to the Premier about this, was talking to the minister, both of them think transportation is incredibly important. The Premier told me that he personally feels very involved in all decisions made on the transportation side. It gave me great comfort that right from the very top this is important to this government.

^Well I guess that very point defeats the whole point of what Metrolinx is for. DoFo might as well just call himself the Minister of Transportation and CEO of Metrolinx as well.

At this point I wonder how long Verster will be able to keep his patience before he calls it quits due to Ford's ineptitude.

^Well I guess that very point defeats the whole point of what Metrolinx is for. DoFo might as well just call himself the Minister of Transportation and CEO of Metrolinx as well.

At this point I wonder how long Verster will be able to keep his patience before he calls it quits due to Ford's ineptitude.
Once one accepts that Pritchard was practising *Diplomacy Plus*...it actually allowed his digressions to be that much more emphatic. The SSE moment was...*WOW*...he wasn't kicking, but he sure was punching in his diplomatic way. He left no doubt as to what it was all about.

The interview left one longing for it to continue, and go up a notch, but I suspect Pritchard, considering his full time job, wasn't about to pizz any further into anyone's well. But he did allow you to read between the lines. If it wasn't Paikin interviewing him, I doubt we would have gotten what we did.

As for Verster...he's acting like a lap-dog of late. Don't know what to make of it. He shid on my carpet with the "straightforward" comment on uploading the subway, something I see favourable aspects to in terms of integration with Metrolinx (if that's the receiving agency), but it's going to be very complicated. His answer was political, not practical, and that is contrary to Metrolinx' mandate.

Any news on when the audit's supposed to be done and the reports released?

As for Verster...he's acting like a lap-dog of late. Don't know what to make of it. He shid on my carpet with the "straightforward" comment on uploading the subway, something I see favourable aspects to in terms of integration with Metrolinx (if that's the receiving agency), but it's going to be very complicated. His answer was political, not practical, and that is contrary to Metrolinx' mandate.

Logic only works on the level of those interested in it- when you get someone like Ford who seemingly works on an emotional level, you play by that game, or risk being Webster-ed.

Last edited:

Back