News   Apr 30, 2024
 233     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1K     1 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Interesting statement- could be fun interpreting the various political subtexts for it (Straight truth statement? Kissing up to the PCs to ensure that the Big Move survives?). Also is a vaguely hopeful statement that implies that GO RER is still moving ahead.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...quite-straightforward-says-metrolinx-ceo.html

To be clear, there hasn't been any order given to delay or stop RER. As of right now, the election hasn't had any impact on the project. Also, it is "GO Expansion" now, but us urban nerds can call it RER.

Also, it is "GO Expansion" now, but us urban nerds can call it RER.

Not according to a friend of mine in head office. They still call the core part of the expansion "RER", with "GO Expansion" as the sort of overarching umbrella term for all of the upcoming improvements everywhere else in the system.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Not according to a friend of mine in head office. They still call the core part of the expansion "RER", with "GO Expansion" as the sort of overarching umbrella term for all of the upcoming improvements everywhere else in the system.

That seems pretty appropriate. The Niagara expansion, for example, isn't making the same types of promises as RER but it's also far from trivial.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This runs contrary to what I've heard from people who are Metrolinx corporate also. Neither of us are gonna reveal our sources, so we're deadlocked there, but I'd point you to branding changes on the "Greater Region" website. Note the use of "GO Expansion" throughout the site, and RER pretty much being non-existent. "RER" is being phased out in favour of "GO Expansion", but I'm sure it will take time and technical documents may still use "RER".

Example with Lakeshore East improvements:
Lakeshore-East-map-1.jpg

Lakeshore-East-map-2.jpg

Noticed something interesting on the Milliken Station construction page . . .

"Through its Regional Express Rail project – better known as GO expansion – Metrolinx is already starting to transform the existing GO rail system from a commuter service to a whole new rapid transit experience for your community. In the next ten years we’re aiming to bring you 15-minute, two-way service between Milliken GO and Union Station."

I do not recall that extra quantifier being here (I've read all these pages many times) perhaps a fairly recent change.
10 years from when? It's supposed to be 7 years or less from now...

Wasn't sure where to put this, so chose here. Update on CN taking over operations on the GEXR between London, Kitchener, Guelph to MacMillan Yard in November. Implicates Metrolinx/GO because Metrolinx owns (or will own as of November?) the track between Kitchener and Silver (Georgetown). There have been rumours of CN running longer trains, including double stacks along here. I'll let you all draw conclusions as to how this impacts future GO service and electrification plans to Kitchener.

hW7oUqT.png

I'm accusing them of not even putting my question on the initial question batch which has to pass their "moderation" before up/down votes can be casted.
If this is your question, it's now up as of yesterday:
default-avatar.png

What is the status of the Dundas West/Bloor GO pedestrian link?
anonymous
Sep 14, 2018 - 23:50
Earlier in the year we heard news that Metrolinx was looking into expropriation and property acquisition to facilitate an underground pedestrian connection between Dundas West subway station and Bloor GO station. However since then, there has been no update on the status of this project. What is the timeline of when construction will begin?

There are some excellent questions up there. I tried to 'join', it became a digital nightmare, and when it finally took me to the sign-up page, they wanted to know far too much that had nothing to do with any question I'd ask, let alone just to vote up anyone else's question ( @Leo_Chan take note ). So I exited w/o signing.

All they need to know is an email addy to send a coded link to to ascertain you're bona fide (albeit almost any way of doing that is not totally foolproof). I have to wonder how the leading question got so many up-votes...

Back