News   Jul 18, 2024
 235     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 675     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

Screw democracy if I can become Emperor of Canada and build whatever subway lines I like :p

...including one to MCC ...;)

Precisely....

2901088054_abffa59087_o.gif

Precisely....

2901088054_abffa59087_o.gif

Perhaps if 'sauga is smart and they build a BRT/LRT down Hurontario maybe Toronto should co-operate with them to extend the BD line to Hurontario/Dundas. Of course that would mean conditions like the Vaughan extension....ie the 'sauga portion of the subway (which from HWY 427 is about 7 km) will be paid for Mississauga and it will be a TTC fare zone. Somehow, I highly doubt the 'fiscally' responsible people on 'sauga city council would agree to that.

Also, I notice you don't have any subway love for the entire eastern GTA past McCowan.....

Also, I notice you don't have any subway love for the entire eastern GTA past McCowan.....

1. I don't know the east end very well
2. The east end is the least populated part of the GTA
3. I hit most of the major centres: Mississauga, Brampton, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Scarborough. As far as I know, there's no major population centres beyond Scarborough Centre, and I haven't seen any serious proposals for the subway extended beyond there.

2900432197_5fc9db1832_o.gif

Black background

Exactly. Why Orangeville when you can continue north along Hurontario to Collingwood? The skiing there may not be Vermont or Mont Tremblant or Whistler, but it's better than Hockley.

CC

I challenge your idea to extend the Eglinton line to Eglinton and Hurontario.

1) Your straight cross-border extension would make it very difficult to build an airport hub at Pearson as envisioned by Metrolinx and the TTC.

2) There is no significant development between Hwy 427 and Hurontario along Eglinton that can't be serviced by regular buses.

That being said Transit City does propose building a Mississauga spur to the Eglinton line. Perhaps citizens in your city should start pitching councillors to come up with the cash to extend the Eglinton LRT down Eglinton towards Square One. At around 13 km in all, and likely to require some tunneling or bridging it's going to be pricey though.

An alternate route is running LRT along Burnamthorpe from Hurontario till Islington Station, about 12 km, though this would require relocating the best terminal to the south side of Square One. I wonder if there is development along Burnamthorpe to justify the price tag, though it might be justifiable from a network point of view. I also wonder how this would operate, having a TTC surface route operating in 'sauga or conversely if MT was operating this, then what about the portion that would operate in Toronto?

All in all, I think it'll be quite challenging to work with Mississauga on a TTC subway or LRT. First there is the cost of construction. Next there is the issue of revenue and service outside of jurisdiction, etc. For this to happen, Mississauga would really have to step up with hundreds of millions (maybe a billion) dollars and be willing to swallow their pride and let the TTC run the show. I am skeptical that Mississaugans would even support such an extension if that meant a significant increase in taxes...which would be likely.

It's quite a different case up north, Vaughan practically fashioned a new city centre around the subway stop. And it's also willing to step up with cash, let the TTC take all the revenue, and let the TTC dictate the rules. That's co-operation.

For now, the Metrolinx proposal is best....let Mississauga build its own BRT/LRT down Hurontario connecting with Port Credit GO station Cooksville Go and let riders come in to Toronto on the GO lines. Most riders from Mississauga are due towards downtown Toronto anyway; few have any requirements to get off along the BD line. So this idea makes sense. Those who need the BD line can use existing buses to connect to the line or perhaps a cheaper BRT can be built from Square One to the BD line.

1) Your straight cross-border extension would make it very difficult to build an airport hub at Pearson as envisioned by Metrolinx and the TTC.
Metrolinx is proposing a regional rail style service to Pearson on the Weston sub. That would take most of the Pearson-bound traffic, more than the Eglinton LRT would, IMO.

Metrolinx is proposing a regional rail style service to Pearson on the Weston sub. That would take most of the Pearson-bound traffic, more than the Eglinton LRT would, IMO.

The depends on the stop spacing of that regional rail. I suspect that Eglinton LRT will carry a substantial amount of Pearson-bound passengers who have no good transfer point to GO.

Speaking of Hurontario corridor, can it justify a subway through Mississauga and perhaps into Brampton? First subway in Mississauga does not have to be a spur off Toronto's system. Hurontario is busier than any single E-W corridor in Mississauga, and has no rail alternatives.

CC

I challenge your idea to extend the Eglinton line to Eglinton and Hurontario.

2) There is no significant development between Hwy 427 and Hurontario along Eglinton that can't be serviced by regular buses.

1) The YYZ has a LINK train that currently connects Terminal 1, Terminal 3, and the Sheraton Gateway Hotel, as well as access to the Reduced Rate Parking Lot at Viscount Station, and the employee parking lot. If the Eglinton LRT is ever extended into Mississauga, that LINK train could be extended down to directly connect with the LRT.

2) There are already office buildings between the 401 and Eglinton West, south of the airport. At the moment, they are surrounding by asphalt deserts called "parking lots" (aka: free parking). If those asphalt deserts along Eglinton could be redeveloped as buildings (mixed-use preferred) and they got rid of the free parking, they would be better serviced by a LRT.

Bah, the 'burbs don't need anything more than regional rail + BRT. Even Hurontario.

Exactly. This is the point I am trying to get across to many including CC. Good BRT/LRT and well integrated regional rail is actually far more effective than a subway.

Once GO builds up its regional rail network to a standard worthy of being referred to as regional rail, then the need for subways will substantially diminish. Even in Mississauga I can't fathom why anyone there would want to spend billions in tax dollars for an extension of the BD line or the half a billion for an extension of Eglinton when the most pressing need is for BRT/LRT along Hurontario. Building that line will also connection with GO for much quicker trips to downtown Toronto than any subway.

The other problem that we have right now is integration. Even in the 416, demand for subways would be reduced if GO was integrated with the TTC. Why would anyone heading downtown choose the the subway over GO coming from say NE Scarborough, Port Union, Mimico, Rexdale, etc. if the fares were integrated?

Back