News   Jul 16, 2024
 430     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 518     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 644     2 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I believe the Ford government left it up to the discretion of municipalities over whether to enforce the rules or not. It makes me wonder who authorized the recent crackdown in Trinity-Bellwoods park after years of ignoring public drinking there. It certainly didn't come from John Tory, who has said he's in favour of allowing people to enjoy alcoholic drinks so long as they don't act stupid about it. If I were mayor I'd be pissed about this random police action and the chief would be publicly getting heat from me over it.

Probably response to complaints about it. In any case, maybe they should mark off an area of the park where drinking is allowed.

AoD

Last edited:
As to the 6ix thing - just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it is any less legitimate.

AoD
The sad part of that is that it’s in direct reference to the six former municipalities, as a convoluted inferiority complex reference to “the 5 boroughs” (NYC) instead of as an abbreviation for the long-time slang name for Toronto, “the 416”. Because, Drake.

The sad part of that is that it’s in direct reference to the six former municipalities, as a convoluted inferiority complex reference to “the 5 boroughs” (NYC) instead of as an abbreviation for the long-time slang name for Toronto, “the 416”. Because, Drake.

The rationale doesn't really matter that much - the fact that it got picked up and used is sufficient enough for me.

AoD

^Is it just me or is the "TO" abbreviation thing over done like hell?
It's sort of like NYC or LA, I guess.

I'm glad we at least have an abbreviation that rolls off the tongue!

To be honest I don’t even know what the defund the police movement is about. I’ve been suggesting police reform including looking at spending and cultural problems since I joined this forum.

On the other hand policing is an essential service and a difficult job that earns policemen and women my respect and honestly my empathy. I do not support a cultural war against police or any movement that would naively believe that policing is redundant and society could better use it’s resources elsewhere.

Again, does policing have a culture problem. Sure. I rode in the back of a police cruiser once when I was 12 while police made derogatory remarks about my family’s racial background. Long time ago but these problems persist and need to change.
I think most people would welcome police reform, but 'Defund the police' is a problematic statement, as it's coded differently depending on the audience (i.e. between the general public and the radical-left).

It's intentionally ambiguous, which is why I support clearer statements rather than 'Defund the police'.

Last edited:
In a surprise move The PayIT deal to modernize City payment processes has been referred (delayed).

Several councillors had pointed questions about why this deal was soul source; how long the company and staff had been talking privately, how some elected officials also seem to be in on the discussion, but not all.

The Mayor supported the referral w/o admission of anything being wrong or a scandal, but conceded there were important questions that needed to be answered before proceeding.

1595964801341.png

And European people sacrificed a lot to make Toronto what it is but we don't need to riot to prove it.

Your non-sequitur is wandering remarkably close to the line.

Who is holding a riot in Toronto?

What does anything your saying have to do w/the post you quoted?

Reactions: syn
Just decriminalize everything. Crime will disappear because nothing will be a crime anymore. Case closed ;).

The question with decriminalization, policing, and enforcement of rules is what do you do when you’re terrorized by rule breaking and anti-social behaviour where you live? It’s all nice and theoretical until it happens to you and no one wants to do anything about it and the law is unable or unwilling to help or enable anyone to enforce rules. Your neighbour is running a flop house and you can’t sleep, are threatened daily, your landlord is powerless to enforce, you’re threatened physically daily, police don’t care and tell you “if you don’t like it move”, police are uninterested in or can’t prosecute drug or prostitution and assault is unproven.

That’s not theoretical, it’s a real example that happened to me as property owner. It took 90 days to get that tenant out (who along with her accomplice was wanted for armed assault and robbery and skipped bail considered armed and dangerous). The only way to get rid of her was non-payment of rent. Imagine if you couldn’t evict for non-payment of rent...
The police were insultingly uninterested in the affair but still you’ve got to appreciate the sheriffs presence for the eviction and a police officer did follow up asking me about the evicted tenant 3-4 months later...

The real victims in that story by the way are the other tenants of the property who had to put up with that crap. Consider for s moment there are whole groups of people and neighbourhoods that have to live that everyday.

Just decriminalize everything. Crime will disappear because nothing will be a crime anymore. Case closed ;).

The question with decriminalization, policing, and enforcement of rules is what do you do when you’re terrorized by rule breaking and anti-social behaviour where you live? It’s all nice and theoretical until it happens to you and no one wants to do anything about it and the law is unable or unwilling to help or enable anyone to enforce rules. Your neighbour is running a flop house and you can’t sleep, are threatened daily, your landlord is powerless to enforce, you’re threatened physically daily, police don’t care and tell you “if you don’t like it move”, police are uninterested in or can’t prosecute drug or prostitution and assault is unproven.

That’s not theoretical, it’s a real example that happened to me as property owner. It took 90 days to get that tenant out (who along with her accomplice was wanted for armed assault and robbery and skipped bail considered armed and dangerous). The only way to get rid of her was non-payment of rent. Imagine if you couldn’t evict for non-payment of rent...
The police were insultingly uninterested in the affair but still you’ve got to appreciate the sheriffs presence for the eviction and a police officer did follow up asking me about the evicted tenant 3-4 months later...

The real victims in that story by the way are the other tenants of the property who had to put up with that crap. Consider for s moment there are whole groups of people and neighbourhoods that have to live that everyday.

You're indulging trolls. Do better.

Your story speaks of a fully funded police force where the activity in question IS illegal; and you got crap service.

How would a modestly reduced police budget or decriminalization/legalization make your situation, in this story, any worse?

There are, and will remain, noise by-laws, charges of disturbing the peace; and the same controls over rent; and if you were going the route of the tribunal, seeking an eviction, you can do so (as I'm sure you know) on the grounds that the tenant unreasonably infringed on other tenants reasonable use of their apartments.

In point of fact, were prostitution legal, in your scenario, its more than likely said party would have rented a legal commercial space for their purposes.

The fact that they can't do so means they will have to lie to a prospective landlord about their intent.

No one is talking (seriously) about either massive cuts to the police budget; or about legalizing/decriminalizing behavior which harms others.

What is being discussed is reallocation of a portion of police spending to those better equipped to address certain issues such as mental health and those for which police may be overqualified or unneeded (see paid duty cops at construction sites).

On decriminalization/legalization what's being discussed is consenting adult prostitution and personal use of illegal drugs (not dealing/production, generally)

Kindly stop feeding the trolls and bring back the @TrickyRicky who used to post thoughtful, nuanced, fact-based, non-reactionary opinions.

Subjugating all those pesky non-European peoples sure was hard work! Took a lot of resources to pull that off!
In addition to the actual help those non-Europeans shared with colonists in the early days. The locations of prime hunting grounds, the trading of goods, not to mention the massive amount of forest clearing and agriculture done all along the shore by the Iroquois and Mississauga people. That land upon which Europeans set themselves nicely in the middle of, only to spread and force indigenous groups out, engulfing even more of their land as time went on.

The GTA was born on third base and we act like we hit a homerun.

No one is talking (seriously) about either massive cuts to the police budget; or about legalizing/decriminalizing behavior which harms others.

That's exactly what the radical activists are pushing for. It also seems that this is the narrative that's getting more airtime and attention than thoughtful proposals like yours. The debate over this issue seems to be going in a radical direction (as so much of public debate in recent years). I'm not seeing the thoughtful voices echoed in the mainstream. I'm sure they're out there, but right now the voices being amplified are the batty, over the top people.

Also, accusing someone of trolling because they have a different opinion (and not even that far out in my view) is just lame, especially given your previous post about being tolerant of a wide range of opinion.

Back