News   Jul 15, 2024
 266     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I apologize for referencing something from a few pages ago, but I have to give Tory a big shout out for the firm, logical and rational way he handled Mammo's delusionally insane rant on the so-called war on the car. I mean, any normal person would have either ignored Giorgio or told him he was out of his mind, but Tory managed to firmly refute him without being dragged down the Ford Nation rabbit hole. Makes me think Tory is growing into the job.

I apologize for referencing something from a few pages ago, but I have to give Tory a big shout out for the firm, logical and rational way he handled Mammo's delusionally insane rant on the so-called war on the car. I mean, any normal person would have either ignored Giorgio or told him he was out of his mind, but Tory managed to firmly refute him without being dragged down the Ford Nation rabbit hole. Makes me think Tory is growing into the job.

That kind of reaction is why I generally approve of the job he does.

I don't know if this is worth creating a thread for, but when will Toronto have a mayor who isn't a white guy?

That kind of reaction is why I generally approve of the job he does.

I don't know if this is worth creating a thread for, but when will Toronto have a mayor who isn't a white guy?
and how would not being white influence how a mayor functions, communicates etc. And for me its not worth creating a thread for. What about a mayor who is say, spanish, italian, etc. It should not matter

Most are to smart to get into professional politics. :)

Very much agreed!

and how would not being white influence how a mayor functions, communicates etc. And for me its not worth creating a thread for. What about a mayor who is say, spanish, italian, etc. It should not matter

I totally agree that if a person does a good job as mayor, their ethnicity shouldn't matter. The diversity we have just seems to lack representation.

He is the first Muslim mayor of a capital city in the Western world. Nenshi was the first Muslim mayor of a Western city, but Calgary isn't a capital.

Last edited:
Screen shot 2016-05-11 at 10.56.57 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-05-11 at 10.56.57 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-05-11 at 10.56.57 PM.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 493
Here are the options that were studied:

- Minimal change — 47 councillors with an average ward population of 61,000.

- Status quo — 44 councillors with an average ward population of 70,000.

- Smaller wards — 58 councillors with an average ward population of 50,000.

- Larger wards — 38 councillors with an average ward population of 75,000.

- Natural/physical boundaries — 41 councillors with an average ward population of 70,000.

Mayor John Tory has already come out against adding more councillors to the mix at City Hall.
Consider that the Town of Long Branch had a population of 9,625, New Toronto had 10,455, Mimico had 14,198, Swansea had 11,133, Weston had 16,476, Forest Hill had 24,056, and Leaside had 13,876. There are those who want larger wards with 75,000. I think a smaller ward would be closer to the sizes of the old towns and villages of Toronto.

Keep in mind that under the Metro system we had a lot more councillors, and this aided with local representation.

I think the minimal change - the addition of 3 new wards - is fine.

Back