News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 466     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Watching the live feed. What has Frances Nunziata done to her hair? Is she trying to be a Barbie doll?

Another repulsive idea by his dear deputy mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong. I'm still waiting for Tory to register as an Uber lobbyist. Ditto for CAA and First Gulf. He's been working so hard lobbying councilors on behalf of those companies.
With regards to Uber, because Tory is not stupid nor beholden to tax industry like the other councillors and he is on the right side of the issue

Another repulsive idea by his dear deputy mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong. I'm still waiting for Tory to register as an Uber lobbyist. Ditto for CAA and First Gulf. He's been working so hard lobbying councilors on behalf of those companies.

Instead of this nonsense, why don't these Councillors and Mayor propose to do something to limit financial and corporate influence into our municipal affairs? Isn't it fair to say that is more corrupting than community activists?

Instead of this nonsense, why don't these Councillors and Mayor propose to do something to limit financial and corporate influence into our municipal affairs? Isn't it fair to say that is more corrupting than community activists?

Commercial properties pay $1.3B in property taxes every year and we need that group to have a voice of some kind. If we took away their lobbying rights then I'd want to give commercial land owner a vote of some type (4 or 5 councillors at large? enough to be a swing vote?).

It would be hard to restrict lobbying to firms with a Toronto mailing address as that's a minor expense for a large corporation ($100/month) and anything stronger eliminates 1-person companies and smaller not-for-profits.

Last edited:
Commercial properties pay $1.3B in property taxes every year and we need that group to have a voice of some kind. If we took away their lobbying rights then I'd want to give commercial land owner a vote of some type (4 or 5 councillors at large? enough to be a swing vote?).

It would be hard to restrict lobbying to firms with a Toronto mailing address as that's a minor expense for a large corporation ($100/month) and anything stronger eliminates 1-person companies and smaller not-for-profits.

There's nothing wrong with lobbying. Anybody who's ever advocated for an issue is lobbying.

I'm more concerned about individual donations, and increasing income polarization favouring richer Torontonians over the poor. A person shouldn't be able to have more influence over our elections just because they are wealthier and have more money to donate to campaigns. The City's current campaign donation limit is $1,000. This is ridiculously high; no low income person in this city can afford to donate that much money. Lower it to something more reasonable ($50 or lower) to avoid stifling the voices of poorer Torontonians. This will also mitigate the issue of corporations and unions making donations in the names of multiple people to avoid our ban on corporate and union election financing.

Also, a substantial portion of Toronto Councillors finance much of their campaigns using donations coming from individuals who do not live in the City of Toronto. Individuals who do not live in the city should not be able to directly influence our politics. These donations need to be banned.

Toronto is actually lacking a convention centre befitting of a city of our size, influence and stature. So this is not something I am opposed to.

It may seem like a waste but convention centres do serve an important business function in similar cities to Toronto, and we do want to attract business events, conferences, expos and general business investment to our city. (Not to mention the tourist dollars that brings)

I'll bite. How much bigger does a convention centre have to be than MTCC or DEC?

I'll bite. How much bigger does a convention centre have to be than MTCC or DEC?
We're OK for local consumer shows but not the big industry ones that import dollars. MTCC is about 480,000 sq ft of exhibit space. Vegas is >2.0 million just in the main centre. We're not Vegas of course but most major centres are in the 800k - 1 Mil range. Javitz in NY is 840, Dallas and Barcelona are 1 Mil, Moscone in SF is about 700. Huge shows like Comdex need to be in Vegas, but we're missing out on the top tier of rotating exhibitions and we're too small for a globally-relevant anchor show. Right now the biggest recurring one we host is probably the mining/resource one.

Last edited:
More twattle from Col. Flagg and the FF Nation, in this installment they don't seem to have a grasp of “end of life” or that the new engineering of the latch and lid are not the problem, it’s the “plastic” of with they are made. And as usual the grasp of reality fails them, especially concerning humour. Another problem is sole (soul?) sourcing information.
160506-0001.png

http://www.newstalk1010.com/news/2016/05/05/how-did-they-not-know-about-this

Attachments

• 160506-0001.png
    160506-0001.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 455

Back