News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 409     0 

Leaside

As for development potential, I am glad to see new office space coming to Brentcliffe.

I think with the Crosstown stop at Bayview, midrise development with retail storefronts on Bayview between Eglinton and Soudan should be on the cards.

From an urbanism, transit or place-making perspective I'm not a fan of big-box stores in general.

Having said that I do find the big-box stores at Leaside convenient and useful ;)

Also there are parts of the area that make it seem like that area is more interesting & urban than the typical big-box store along the highway, like the restaurants along Laird, or the remnants of the historical factories & train tracks.

With Bayview it's similar, I know that the Metro & Beer Store with the parking lot will probably be redeveloped into something without a giant parking lot in the future, but I do find it very convenient and useful.

In Eglinton and Bayview grocery store news:

Metro has had renovations and was repainted. Beer store was demolished for some reason. Whole Foods has a crane up and is pouring concrete.

I've been watching construction on the Metro roof for 10 months now.

They are currently in the process of replacing their old roof with a new roof, about half way done. They seem to be doing about 1/16 of the roof each day.

Watching them demolish the Beer Store was a fun Thursday morning, good day to have no classes. I even treated myself with an especially ironic beer.

I'd be posting pictures and live updates on it all this time but it is only a Metro. Didn't think anyone really particularly cared.

I don't even particularly like Tim Hortons, but it always bothered me that the closest Timmies are at Yonge(x3), Davisville and Laird.

If Tims comes here it'll look like a typical suburban Tims, which will suck.

I'd be posting pictures and live updates on it all this time but it is only a Metro. Didn't think anyone really particularly cared.

WislaHD, if you did that I would be refreshing this thread 24/7, completely enthralled. Same with the utility work all over this area these days.

I don't even particularly like Tim Hortons, but it always bothered me that the closest Timmies are at Yonge(x3), Davisville and Laird.

If Tims comes here it'll look like a typical suburban Tims, which will suck.

Amazing that there are still parts of Toronto more than 100m from the nearest Tims. Maybe someday even a Starbucks or a TD bank? One day, we can dream. This is, after all, a historic site in retail history, being the 1st strip mall in Canada. There should be a Heritage Toronto plaque commemorating this momentous achievement.

This is, after all, a historic site in retail history, being the 1st strip mall in Canada. There should be a Heritage Toronto plaque commemorating this momentous achievement.
agree with the plaque idea, but sunnybrook plaza is on the east side of bayview, and i don't think any reconstruction is planned for there, is there?

agree with the plaque idea, but sunnybrook plaza is on the east side of bayview, and i don't think any reconstruction is planned for there, is there?

There were some rumours floating around that RioCan wants to densify the site due to the LRT. I can't remember if anything concrete has been produced as far as proposals or renders. It's prime location for a mid-rise a la Keesmat's avenues and mid-rises vision.

Yes it's another SmartCentres retail project. 2 levels with a Walmart (at least that's who they had as anchor early on).

Ahh ok, I heard about it on and off but I guess it's a done deal and Walmart is coming.

Found this quote:
"The world’s largest retailer (Walmart) is expected in Leaside late in 2015 when it will open an 80,000-square-foot store in the Smart Centre expansion on the north side of Wicksteed Ave."
http://leasidelifenews.com/leaside-stock-index-2/

Is the Costco still being planned for Overlea?

Back