News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

Leaside

Five Guys Burgers is pretty good. But I still prefer Holy Chuck or Burger's Priest!

I read that article too. I don't think Walmart will move in there b/c the site looks too small. Not enough room for parking. Plus, down at Overlea they are shutting down the Zellers and converting it into a Target!! I can't wait for that to open. :)

Got some news about the Broadway and Bayview site which has been confirmed for a Whole Foods in 2015.
From Jaye Robinson, Toronto City Councillor, Ward 25
I would like to provide you with an update on the development at 1860 Bayview Avenue previously
the location of the Brennan car dealership.

As many of you know Starbank Developments submitted a development application for a 2-storey
retail commercial building with 2 retail units at street level; 1 retail unit on the second floor; and
214 parking spaces in a two level below-grade garage on the northwest corner of Broadway and
Bayview Avenue. After extensive discussions, a settlement proposal was submitted to the City
Planning by the applicant. It was presented at the OMB hearing and was approved in principle
orally, with a written decision to follow.

Like you, I have heard many rumours circulating about what is happening with this development.
We just received notification that a Whole Foods store will be opened on the site in 2015.

When the community consultation meeting was held on this development, area residents ex-
pressed concerns about potential impacts on their community; particularly issues regarding traf-
fic and congestion. At the Forum, residents agreed we should run a trial with the advance green
at Bayview and Broadway and that the Transportation Division conduct a traffic study in the area
so we will have accurate traffic counts pre and post construction. I recommended that we strike
a small working group of residents to address the ongoing traffic concerns and those that will re-
sult in the upcoming development.

I coordinated a meeting with the Transportation Department and the Broadway Traffic Working
Group and it was decided the pilot project be conducted with the advance green at Broadway and
Bayview. Transportation Operations recommends this advance green operate Monday to Friday
during the peak hours of 6:30 am - 10:00 am and 3:00pm - 7:00 pm in order to better facilitate
traffic flow and reduce the queue of cars idling at the intersection and backing up onto Broad-
way.

Transportation Services will follow up with my office and the Ward 25 Broadway traffic working
group to assess the results of the trial and agree on next steps. I would like to encourage any
constituents with concerns or comments on this issue to contact my office, and my staff will be
happy to put you in touch with members of the working group so that you may share your views.

I would like to thank all whom have contacted my office on this issue and particularly the mem-
bers of the working group for their ongoing work with my office and City Staff.

Nice to see she has confirmed the Wholefoods. I also understand the landlord has the lcbo signed up. I can't wait to hear more about this site.

My wife and I checked out the new Longo's this week. It is quite nice. Salad bar, sushi bar, freshly-baked pizza, awesome deli counter (prosciutto, porchetta, mortadella, serrano etc.) ACE bread baked in-store, freshly filled cannoli at the dessert counter etc. The produce is amazing, the meat counter is decent, but the middle-isle stuff is average, unless all you cook is Italian food.

Also, so far the only the CIBC seems to be open in addition to Longo's and possibly the Bulk Barn.

A couple new restaurants are opening as well, the 5 guys, or whatever its called, also against the grain.

The longos was nice ! Not as nice as MLG downtown I'd argue, well the building it self is.

AWWWW YEAH!

via BlogTO

Amsterdam Brewery to move to Leaside, open brewpub [on the waterfront]

As we mentioned a while back, Amsterdam Brewery will be moving at the end of the month. Today Amsterdam revealed that not only will they be relocating their brewing operations to an industrial park in Leaside, they'll also soon be opening a brewpub on the Toronto waterfront.

As of November 1, 2012, production of Amsterdam's beer will move to 45 Esandar Drive, just east of Laird Drive and south of Eglinton. Amsterdam has revealed that this new brewing space will feature a sampling facility with over ten beers on tap as well as a cutting edge retail experience replete with a 400 sq/ft glass wall to allow for a view directly into the brewing facilities. The space will also feature a 2000 sq/ft event space for dinners, brewing seminars weekly casking events and corporate bookings....

Last edited:
Holy crap! As a micro-brew fan, all I can say is awww yeah (redux)!!!! That is some awesome news. 10 beers on tap... As Homer Simpsons said: "Marge, send the kids to the neighbours, I'm coming home loaded!"

I did not see this coming.

Jackpot! Beer Store confirmed to go into the new development on Laird.
beer store is set to open on september 24th

backing-in-carefully.jpg

opening-september-24th.jpg

:) :) :) :)

That is a lot of shitty, shitty beer on that truck. Now that I think of it, I go to the LCBO for beer 99% of the time. The one just up the street on Laird has a decent selection of Ontario micro-brews plus lots of good Euro-beers.

Against the Grain (a "gastropub") is now open in the Longo's plaza. I believe it was the last piece of retail to open there.

Looks like construction of the Whole Foods at Bayview and Broadway has begun. Future Shop at Eglinton and Laird is closed.

What do you guys think the future of the industrial/big box area east of Laird will look like in a few decades?

One big change coming is the Eglinton LRT having a stop at Laird, the eastern end of the tunnel.

Do you see condos or further residential development happening? Could it become more mixed-use, urban, and walkable?

There seem to have been some big changes here lately like the Leaside Village redevelopment with Longos, bringing in 5 guys burger. Some places like this http://goo.gl/maps/q0Q8k, seem more small-scale.

I could imagine Laird start to see things like coffee shops, and there are currently some restaurants alongside the car repair shops.

With the townhouses east of Brentcliffe, the Scenic on Eglinton condos, new condos like the Upper House, I can imagine more demand for interesting retail/restaurants/cafes/bars in the area.

What do you think?

Back