News   Jul 15, 2024
 399     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 565     0 

King Street (Streetcar Transit Priority)

^ Very interesting article.

Even that is a massive amount more than City of Toronto has, which for the King Street Project, would be hugely helpful.

The City should have applied for that under the HTA PART XVI PILOT PROJECTS section when Wynne was still in:
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08

Too late now...Ford lives up to his name.

I can see Doug Ford putting such requests from the city to the province under study or consultations for about four years at a minimum.

I will say this: the traffic light priority for the streetcars could be improved. I notice while taking the Streetcars on King, the biggest holdup is the traffic lights.

All but 4 signals in the pilot are equipped with Transit Signal Priority. I think if you keep a note of where you get stopped, you will easily be able to identify which 4.

Can't be used as evidence. It has to be written into Law. That could very easily have been done under the previous regime. The City has no-one but itself to blame on this.

Hmm, so what could they do ? If they can't do what I described to get cameras, that what is a possibles alternative to cameras ?

Hmm, so what could they do ? If they can't do what I described to get cameras, that what is a possibles alternative to cameras ?
Remember those 'empowered TTC Bylaw officers' John Tory promised on multiple occasions? Not one to be seen.

I don't know what the answer is, because a change in the HTA to allow cameras was being discussed, but now has next to zero chance under the Ford regime.

Mayor backs traffic powers for TTC officers | The Star

Toronto mayor asks province to allow TTC officers to direct traffic, ticket

Tory asks Wynne for enhanced powers for TTC enforcement officers

One Year In: The King Street Pilot
Monday, November 26 2018, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Metro Hall, Room 308 (55 John St)

Have all parties involved said someone else is responsible for picking up and removing trash at stops? The amount of cans, coffee cups, cigarette butts and general detritus at some stops is appalling. Doesn't the Financial District BIA pay to have one of those vacuum golf carts clean up all the crap? Of course, the real blame goes to the 504 riders whom you can visibly see many behave like slobs and self-absorbed assholes as a normal part of their life.

One Year In: The King Street Pilot
Monday, November 26 2018, 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Metro Hall, Room 308 (55 John St)
Have all parties involved said someone else is responsible for picking up and removing trash at stops? The amount of cans, coffee cups, cigarette butts and general detritus at some stops is appalling. Doesn't the Financial District BIA pay to have one of those vacuum golf carts clean up all the crap? Of course, the real blame goes to the 504 riders whom you can visibly see many behave like slobs and self-absorbed assholes as a normal part of their life.

Okay yes, the city obviously needs to hire people to clean up along King, because, people being people, they will put trash all over the sidewalks ( littering ), or, trash their cigarette butts all over the place. But, I see this in my neighborhood as well, so not really limited to the King St Pilot.

Okay yes, the city obviously needs to hire people to clean up along King, because, people being people, they will put trash all over the sidewalks ( littering ), or, trash their cigarette butts all over the place. But, I see this in my neighborhood as well, so not really limited to the King St Pilot.

A part of my point is there obviously are people cleaning up some stretches of King Street, but it appears they deliberately leave the TTC stops untouched with piles of trash. I am wondering if there is a misunderstanding or some bureaucratic obstacle that means the stops are not cleaned by the people who are cleaning up the whole rest of the road on King. Perhaps it's union related? Or equipment related (those machines can't navigate over the yellow bump strips without wrecking them?) Or maybe it's something inane like the the BIA think s it's now the TTC's job and the TTC thinks it's the BIA's job?

Or maybe it's something inane like the the BIA think s it's now the TTC's job and the TTC thinks it's the BIA's job?

This. To be fair this is an issue with BIA's all across the city, at least in my case (Bloor Yorkville). Too many BIA's focus on their Twitter and Facebook accounts and their seasonal flower pots and occasional gee whiz-bang special event, but then completely ignore the dull, everyday maintenance of the spaces under their care. I've often thought BIA's should be renamed to RBIAs: Resident and Business Improvement Areas.

This. To be fair this is an issue with BIA's all across the city, at least in my case (Bloor Yorkville). Too many BIA's focus on their Twitter and Facebook accounts and their seasonal flower pots and occasional gee whiz-bang special event, but then completely ignore the dull, everyday maintenance of the spaces under their care. I've often thought BIA's should be renamed to RBIAs: Resident and Business Improvement Areas.
It is actually the City's responsibility to keep the streets clean and the BIAs really have NO spaces "under their care'. Howeever, BIAs often add $$$ and staff to keep 'their streets' cleaner than the City standard and often add $$ to ensure street beautification projects happen. . BIAs are financially supported by businesses (and get matching City funds for many projects) - these BIA contributions are compulsory and are added to the business property taxes. In many areas (St Lawrence for example) the BIA and the 'residents' association' work closely together but sometimes the residents and the merchants have - perfectly valid - different priorities or concerns. There are joint business/resident groups (e,g. the Corktown one) but these are NOT BIAs.

I took 504 today first time in long time... The travel tie between bathurst and yonge is lovely - huge improvement over what it was year ago. But i absolutely HATE the 504A/B business.. On my way back from Spadina to Jameson I waited good 10 minutes for 504 A... in this time probably 4 or 5 near empty 504B's came by, before 504A arrived! There were at least other 15-20 people on King/Spadina stop waiting with me none of them got into 504B which means they were going past Dufferin. This is ridiculous and i absolutely hate it. (did i say I hate it?) It was cold and windy - i hate it. This split is plain STUPID. Thanks for reading.

Back