News   Aug 14, 2024
 272     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 635     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 2.4K     3 

Islington Subway Station

The 2007 budget for Mississauga shows MT's 10-year capital plan and it includes spending $5 million for the Kipling renovation in 2008.

The following was recently posted on the Toronto Economic Development Dept's website.

The City of Toronto, GO Transit, TTC and Mississauga Transit (MT) have partnered on a major initiative to integrate and improve transit facilities at the Bloor-Islington and Kipling Stations.

The key objectives of the initiative are to:

accelerate the transfer of MT bus terminal facilities to a new joint MT/GO Transit bus terminal at Kipling Station;

expand passenger pickup and drop-off facilities and entrances, and relocate commuter parking at the Kipling and Islington Stations;

build a new accessible TTC bus terminal north of the Islington Subway Station; and

construct a new business node through a multi-phased commercial development

The initiative will create an urban neighbourhood with 4 million-sq. ft. of office and commercial space;
Code:
 7,000 residential units
and will generate more than 16,000 knowledge-based jobs and $985 million in construction spending.

The first phases of the proposed project will include the construction of a 345,000-sq. ft. corporate head office for SNC Lavalin and development of the remaining bus terminal lands at Islington/ Bloor into a mixed-use complex.

What with the Vaughan subway and LRT plan, this plan seems to have gone dormant. Anything happening with the Kipling and Islington subway plans?

Gee that was helpful. I mean no word if a deal was concluded with SNC. No word if GO, the province or MT will contribute and, if so, how much.

Don't be such a pain in the ass.

Mississauga Transit has included this in the budget. Not sure if the province or GO have done so.

I'm hoping and assuming that there are talks going on behind the scenes. The Lavalin deal for the land at Islington is too good to let go down the drain.

Wow. YOU wrote the post before yours, Borgos. I AM an idiot.

Well, in my defense, the coffee was quite bitter at work today.

Kipling/Islington Station TTC Improvement Projects

Open House for Kipling/Islington Station TTC Improvement Projects

Date: Wednesday, November 7th, 2007

Time: Open house: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Presentation: 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm

Place: Islington United Church

25 Burnhamthorpe Road

How does moving the MT terminus from Islington to Kipling save passengers any commuting time? Islington's directly on Bloor and actually has the space to accomodate all those routes, plus of course is one stop closer to the downtown. Kipling's fundementally anti-pedestrian and gridlock congestion always occurs at the Jopling/Dundas entrance/exit point. Why waste millions on something that'll have to be dismantled or abandoned in a matter of years? Yes Kilping has the GO station but so does Dixie, which guess what is already in Mississauga. Can someone explain to me why a TTC/GO/MT convergence's so important when Islington is now being dubbed the new Etobicoke Centre (West Mall/Burnhamthrope, the old?) whereby some of those MT riders may actually be bound for it and not need of the subway at all?

The occasional time I'm on MT (route 1/1C/201) I get off at Auckland Road and walk to Kipling rather than stay on the bus. It's faster than staying on to Islington. Same with route 3.

The 20 and 26 can go to Dundas via the 427 (most likely) and speed up travel time. It won't save a lot of time for many passengers, but it will help. Plus it allows for the redevelopment of Islington Station - that area will get a much needed urbanization.

Like Sean, any time I am commuting into the city on MT route 3, I get off and walk down to Kipling station, rather than riding to Islington, which must save at least 5 minutes, maybe 10. Kipling is the logical place for a "hub".

Islington is going to be a major construction site for quite a while, once the new development begins, and the fewer buses running there, the better.

I also get off at Kipling, when taking the 1 Dundas. It definitely saves time and gives you a guaranteed seat and no standing time at an ugly station like Islington.

Back