News   Jul 15, 2024
 482     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 638     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 579     0 

Islington Subway Station

It appears from this that Miss. Transit has not made a commitment yet. Toronto is obviously hoping that they will.

The thread title's kinda theme-parky. (What kind of theme, I don't know...Clockwork Orange, maybe...)

This would allow the Bloor-Islington lands to redevelop in two phases. Phase I would include a 345,000 sq. ft. Corporate Head Office for SNC Lavalin on the former site of the Royal Canadian Legion. Phase II would see the bus terminal lands develop into a mixed use complex. This could include a West District City office with a civic square and/or private sector development (an additional 750,000 sq. ft.).

How tall would these two buildings be?

I am hoping for point towers.

The SNC Lavalin Building, at 345,000 square feet total, and, uh, let's say averaging 1,907 square feet per floor, would be 181 floors high.

The 750,000 square foot mixed use complex, let's say at a more reasonable 3,489 square feet per floor, would be 215 floors high.

SNC Lavalin Building, at 345,000 square feet will be 15 stories that is set to open on Aug 1, 2009 based on the spin doc's at TTC meeting today.

Islington terminal will close Aug 1 with MT being move to Westwood some time within the next 18 months.

New 9 bay for MT and 4 bay for GO terminal will not be ready until 2010-11 at Kipling.

New TTC terminal to open Aug 1, 2009 at Islington north of the current one.

SNC Lavalin Building will be where the Legion is as well some of the parking lot under phase 1. Phase 2 will be where the current terminal is. Phase 2 is to be built by someone else as some future date.

TTC spends $17 million for a $100 million project that will see 1,000 jobs stay in 416 and not go to the 905 so the spin said.

Best deal and the only deal within the last 30 years for this site so the spin doc's have said.

Boy do I have a deal for TTC..........................Oh I just remember that I sold the bridge to GO and Mississauga over the 403 BRT cost and its current plans.

Islington terminal will close Aug 1 with MT being move to Westwood some time within the next 18 months.

New 9 bay for MT and 4 bay for GO terminal will not be ready until 2010-11 at Kipling.

Westwood? That sounds like quite the walk to Kipling... will a new entrance to the station be done by then or will we have to wait until 2010-11 for that too? :)

Um, there's no mention anywhere of the plan to entirely rebuild that whole Six Points mess of an intersection or of the proposal to extend the subway to East Mall and build the new bus terminal there, both of which are crucial projects related to the ones being discussed...

From the Post:

TTC to revamp three stations; Rebuilding Victoria Park

James Cowan, National Post
Published: Thursday, December 14, 2006

The TTC decided yesterday to push ahead with a pair of massive revitalization projects: spending $26-million to rebuild the crumbling Victoria Park subway station and committing $17.5-million to create a regional transit hub at Kipling station.

The projects add to the TTC's already stretched $770-million annual capital budget, but new TTC chairman Adam Giambrone said the spending is necessary.

"At some point you have to reinvest in your facilities," Mr. Giambrone said.

"It's expensive, it's difficult in terms of staging, but you just can't expect to not have investments and still have a system that people want to ride. It's all about the rider experience."

Residents of the apartment towers surrounding the Victoria Park station told transit commissioners yesterday that the facility is damp, hard to access and unsafe.

"It is very unsightly, very unfriendly and very unsafe," Sharif Akmed said .

There have been problems with drug dealers and several assaults in the walkways surrounding the station, according to Councillor Adrian Heaps.

"I've been threatened in those areas a couple of times personally," Mr. Heaps said. "A lot of the people who live in those buildings work the night shift or are single women. We need to create something that makes the community safe and healthy."

The problems with the station's current design are myriad, according to City Councillor Janet Davis. She noted there is no direct entrance to the station from Victoria Park Avenue, and no windows facing out to the street. Instead, transit users enter using a narrow staircase. In addition, the entire facility is 1.5 metres above street level, making it difficult to access for disabled people and meaning buses use a ramp to drop off passengers.

"There's absolutely no connection to the street; there's nothing to identify it as a subway station --it is ugly," Ms. Davis said.

Under the proposed renovations, the bus terminal will be lowered to street level and a new entrance will be built on Victoria Park. In addition, the landscaping along the street will be improved and a walkway along the edge of the station will be widened to make it safer.

Ms. Davis celebrated the proposed enhancements yesterday, but said work still needs to be done to improve the pedestrian bridge that serves the station. Five thousand people a day use the elevated walkway, she said.

The TTC also approved $17.5- million toward the redevelopment of the Kipling and Islington stations. Under the plan, a Mississauga Transit terminal at Islington station will be moved to Kipling, creating a regional hub for Mississauga Transit, the TTC and GO Transit.

Meanwhile, the land surrounding Islington station would be redeveloped. SNC-Lavalin, an engineering firm, intends to build its headquarters on the site. Selling the land will provide the TTC with approximately $7.5-million toward revitalizing Islington station.

In addition, the opening of the office will bring 1,400 employees to the area, including 300 new jobs and 300 relocated from surrounding municipalities.

City Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker said the project could transform Etobicoke from "a bedroom community to an urban village."

The city still needs to secure a total of $40-million from the other transit services and the provincial government.

Charles Wheeler, the TTC manager responsible for the project, said negotiations are under way and all parties support the plan in principle.

He noted the TTC has been trying to move the Mississauga Transit terminal to Kipling for 30 years.

"I think we have a winning concept and we should try to hit the home run with this one," Mr. Wheeler said.

jcowan@nationalpost.com

© National Post 2006

AoD

Um, there's no mention anywhere of the plan to entirely rebuild that whole Six Points mess of an intersection or of the proposal to extend the subway to East Mall and build the new bus terminal there, both of which are crucial projects related to the ones being discussed...

i don't think there is any point in extending to East Mall. Kipling is a better location for a regional bus terminal because it is within ECC boundaries and has a connection to GO.

If the post article is correct and the TTC has already committed 17.5m, it must mean that there's already a cost-sharing agreement in place, at least in priniciple. Otherwise, the committment would have been contingent on GO, MT and the province kicking in the balance. This is good news.

I don't believe there is an agreement yet on cost sharing and most of the plan is dependent on cost sharing. The scheme at Islington Station won't on it's own come near paying for the cost of redeveloping the existing bus loop or moving the Mississauga Transit to Kipling. So hopefully something gets worked out to complete this.

It does sound though that the SNC Lavalin plan could go begin well before MT is moved since the SNC building would be located where the current vacant Legion building and Metropass parking is located.

It does sound though that the SNC Lavalin plan could go begin well before MT is moved since the SNC building would be located where the current vacant Legion building and Metropass parking is located.

Yes, but SNC has made it a condition of its offer that the existing bus bay be demolished by the end of the year. Why they would care about the existance of the bus bay is hard to understand. I have a suspicion that this was really the City's way of putting pressure on MT, GO and the prov. to chip in.

I personally don't care who is insisting that Islington's bus bays get demolished, I just want it to happen. Islington is a pretty craptacular station, and the sooner MT goes into Kipling station the better.

dan, I agree with you totally. The sooner this starts, the better. Regarding contributions from the prov, GO and MT, I can't image that the TTC has gone this far with their plans without some sort of implicit assurance that the other parties will cough up their share of the cost. Otherwise, why waste all this time and energy (especially on a plan that has received so much public attention)?

Back