News   Apr 24, 2024
 950     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Humber Bay Shores

Honestly if I were you, i'd avoid the Humber Bay area like the plague. While the area is really nice (well the park in particular), there are a number of issues there as well.

The number one issue by far is traffic which is absolutely horrid. The area is packed up with cars for the most part of the day and that stems from that lack of alternative routes people can take. The only two ways you can get out of the neighbourhood is through Park Lawn or Lake Shore. Problem is, that many people who commute into Toronto, get off the Gardiner because it is like a zoo and they to access The Queensway or Lake Shore. In turn that clogs up both The Queensway and Lake Shore and the end result is that Park Lawn, Lake Shore, Queensway, and the Gardiner jam up extremely bad.

Another reason the area is so packed is just due to the sheer amount of density that is in the area. Within the past 4 years thousands of residents have moved into the area, and in the next 5 years there will be thousands of more residents who move into the area (bringing in turn more cars). And i'm only talking about the approved and under construction condos, I haven't even mentioned the vacant Mondelez lands (former Mr. Christies plant) which may potentially see another 15-20 condos added depending on the resolution of development proposal. If those lands get approved for residential use, expect another 10-15,000 residents in the area easy,

The second issue is the non-existent transit in the area. The 501 streetcar is unreliable (in part due to the traffic issues in the area) and it makes for a very slow trip. The 66 Prince Edward can only handle so many riders and it gets caught in the traffic and becomes unreliable during the rush hour. There are no alternatives to those two routes. To travel from just Park Lawn on Lakeshore, to the Humber River will literally take you 15-20 minutes during the rush hour which is pathetically slow and painful.

Third is the lack of institutional space. There are no schools in the immediate area, no community centres, no recreational facilities, etc..

I usually describe Humber Bay as a failed community because it just doesn't function properly and it is a prime example of how Toronto doesn't plan things out properly. When people ask me about Humber Bay, I usually recommend that they look elsewhere (ie: Queensway between Islington and Royal York, Bloor between Kipling and Royal York, etc..). Unless you are really craving to live by the lake, just avoid Humber Bay.

The previous post is exaggerated out of proportion. I live in the area and work both in Mississauga and downtown Toronto. Getting to Derry and Mississauga takes about 40 minutes in rush hour traffic and about 25 to King and Spadina. There's also an express 145 shuttle to downtown Toronto which takes 30-35 to the financial district. And if you ride a bike you can get most of the way to DT via Martin Goodman Trail, which is nice.

While what you say about increasing density and institutional space is true, Mondelez Lands will end up with a GO station - TTC loop eventually (10-Yrs maybe), and hopefully some institutional space and probably a few condos.
A recent newsletter from Cllr Grimes:
2150 LAKE SHORE BLVD WEST FORMERLY MR. CHRISTIE BAKERY In 2013 the former bakery closed and the property owner, Mondelez, applied to the City to re-designate the land from employment uses to a regeneration area, which can include residential developments. We absolutely cannot allow additional condos in that area, so City Council backed my position and unanimously rejected the request. Mondelez has since submitted over 240 appeals to the OMB against the City's decision. The appeal process will likely to extend into 2017, but City Legal and Planning will defend our position at the Board. I envision the site as a possible transportation hub, with a new GO stop, TTC connections, and a new road network to help take pressure off the Park Lawn and Lake Shore intersections.

The new federal government is planning to run deficits for the next 3 years spending quite a bit of money on infrastructure, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
The previous post is exaggerated out of proportion. I live in the area and work both in Mississauga and downtown Toronto. Getting to Derry and Mississauga takes about 40 minutes in rush hour traffic and about 25 to King and Spadina. There's also an express 145 shuttle to downtown Toronto which takes 30-35 to the financial district. And if you ride a bike you can get most of the way to DT via Martin Goodman Trail, which is nice.

While what you say about increasing density and institutional space is true, Mondelez Lands will end up with a GO station - TTC loop eventually (10-Yrs maybe), and hopefully some institutional space and probably a few condos.
A recent newsletter from Cllr Grimes:
2150 LAKE SHORE BLVD WEST FORMERLY MR. CHRISTIE BAKERY In 2013 the former bakery closed and the property owner, Mondelez, applied to the City to re-designate the land from employment uses to a regeneration area, which can include residential developments. We absolutely cannot additional condos in that area, so City Council backed my position and unanimously rejected the request. Mondelez has since submitted over 240 appeals to the OMB against the City's decision. The appeal process will likely to extend into 2017, but City Legal and Planning will defend our position at the Board. I envision the site as a possible transportation hub, with a new GO stop, TTC connections, and a new road network to help take pressure off the Park Lawn and Lake Shore intersections.

The new federal government is planning to run deficits for the next 3 years spending quite a bit of money on infrastructure, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Sorry, feel free to take a picture for us of the rush hour traffic around the area and tell me that i'm exaggerating. Going westbound towards Mississauga is definitely less painful since the traffic is mainly headed in the opposite direction. Eastbound is a whole other story since all the alternative routes are clogged up. It will certainly take you longer than 25 mins to King and Spadina (if you start from example Westlake at Lake Shore and Parklawn). If you start from somewhere like Palace Pier it would be shorter at around 25-35 mins. However the traffic does of course ease up in the middle of the day.

Transit is certainly non-existent in the area and there's not one person who would disagree with me on that. There's a reason why there are certain condos that offer shuttle service downtown for their residents because they know the traffic and transit are bad in the area.

Reading this thread spurred me to sign up. For the record I live in the Manitoba/Legion pocket. I leave my condo at 8:00am everyday, drive along lakeshore (yes the gardiner is a zoo especially being reduced to 2 lanes), and arrive at Yonge/front at 8:25am on average. It's not a bad commute at all.

I have no doubt that with continued residential growth in the area, the local congestion will get worse. With the Gardiner opening back up to 3 lanes again at some point in 2016, that should alleviate some of the current congestion. Keep in mind there is also the Mimico Go nearby which is 2 short stops away from Union.

Transit is certainly non-existent in the area and there's not one person who would disagree with me on that. There's a reason why there are certain condos that offer shuttle service downtown for their residents because they know the traffic and transit are bad in the area.

I disagree with you. It's false to claim that an area that has a bus running to Bloor Subway (Route 66), another bus running to downtown core (Express Route 145), and a longest street car route in North America (501 Queen), all within 5 minute walk from any of the condos, has non-existent transit. Sure, things would be better with a GO station and streetcar loop on Mondelez lands (which will come in the future), but this area is not bad transit-wise.
The only condos that offer private shuttle service are the Palace twins, which have been around since the motel days.

I disagree with you. It's false to claim that an area that has a bus running to Bloor Subway (Route 66), another bus running to downtown core (Express Route 145), and a longest street car route in North America (501 Queen), all within 5 minute walk from any of the condos, has non-existent transit. Sure, things would be better with a GO station and streetcar loop on Mondelez lands (which will come in the future), but this area is not bad transit-wise.
The only condos that offer private shuttle service are the Palace twins, which have been around since the motel days.
Sigh, the 145 is a premium express route which operates rush hour only. While it is a reliable and pretty frequent service, it is a double fare (you have to pay an extra fare). It is a good service to use, that's if one can afford using it on a daily basis. The 501 is an unreliable, semi-frequent service at best and its something that cant be depended on. One day you can wait 5 mins for the streetcar to come, while on another you can wait up to 20-25 mins during the rush hour. Off-peak service operates on the same manner but with even larger extremes. The 66 is the only decent service around the area, however it is split into 2 branches and there is only so much the TTC can do with it (one of the branches does not serve the Humber Bay area). And the streetcar loop you keep referring to has been deferred indefinitely and isn't really on the TTC's radar at the moment. But if you really believe that transit in the area is good, I wont try and convince you otherwise.

Reading this thread spurred me to sign up. For the record I live in the Manitoba/Legion pocket. I leave my condo at 8:00am everyday, drive along lakeshore (yes the gardiner is a zoo especially being reduced to 2 lanes), and arrive at Yonge/front at 8:25am on average. It's not a bad commute at all.

I have no doubt that with continued residential growth in the area, the local congestion will get worse. With the Gardiner opening back up to 3 lanes again at some point in 2016, that should alleviate some of the current congestion. Keep in mind there is also the Mimico Go nearby which is 2 short stops away from Union.
I'm glad you decided to join the UT community. It's great having your insight into the matter. I think we can all agree on one thing, traffic in the area will only get worse since the area is literally adding hundreds of residents into the area on a weekly basis.

He's right on Mimico GO, it is about a 5-10 min drive from Humber Bay (15-20 mins using the TTC) but keep in mind that the station has very limited parking if you are driving.

Thanks for the replies! I was in the area over the weekend to look at a few places, and while I obviously didn't get a taste of rush hour traffic, I did like the area. It would be amazing in the summer. I sort of have a dog (it's complicated), and the park and lake is one of the major draws, along with the general mix of people and relatively decent commute to work.

Unfortunately I'm just one more person adding to the traffic issue, as I'm bringing in a car and work standard M-F hours. However, I work up near Vaughan Colossus, so hopefully I'll be going against the worst of the traffic. I don't take transit much (unless I lived on the subway), so it's not a major consideration. For me, if it's not on the subway line, I consider it to be car-dependent. There is nowhere else really that I want to live that's much closer to work, so this will do. Actually, I am considering a place at Queensway & Islington, which is a really funky loft and theoretically not a bad location, but I'm having a hard time letting go of the thought of living by the lake now. And I know I don't like the Bloor/Kipling/Islington area, even though it's on the subway. Bloor from Royal York to Keele I would like, but is out of my price range.

You know what Humber Bay Shores needs, very badly? A Goodlife. I don't understand why they haven't built one yet.

Thanks for the replies! I was in the area over the weekend to look at a few places, and while I obviously didn't get a taste of rush hour traffic, I did like the area. It would be amazing in the summer. I sort of have a dog (it's complicated), and the park and lake is one of the major draws, along with the general mix of people and relatively decent commute to work.

Unfortunately I'm just one more person adding to the traffic issue, as I'm bringing in a car and work standard M-F hours. However, I work up near Vaughan Colossus, so hopefully I'll be going against the worst of the traffic. I don't take transit much (unless I lived on the subway), so it's not a major consideration. For me, if it's not on the subway line, I consider it to be car-dependent. There is nowhere else really that I want to live that's much closer to work, so this will do. Actually, I am considering a place at Queensway & Islington, which is a really funky loft and theoretically not a bad location, but I'm having a hard time letting go of the thought of living by the lake now. And I know I don't like the Bloor/Kipling/Islington area, even though it's on the subway. Bloor from Royal York to Keele I would like, but is out of my price range.

You know what Humber Bay Shores needs, very badly? A Goodlife. I don't understand why they haven't built one yet.
If you've decided to settle on Humber Bay, i'd say you should take the time to pick the building you want to live in very carefully as the quality and amenities definitely differ. I cant really recommend a building since i'm not familiar with the living arrangements of the new developments there (to be honest I dont really take the time to look into any of them since the most of developments there turn me off ). There is one building I can comment on and that is the South Beach Condos on Park Lawn. I've heard of many stories and problems with drug activity and some other crime there, so i'd definitely avoid that building in particular.

Humber Bay needs many things in general, and a gym is definitely among them. I cant think of one that's close to that area to be honest asides from the Fit 4 Less @ Queensway and Kipling.

The new lofts being developed on Queensway are definitely something to consider. I've heard of nothing but good things on the two newer ones (The Hive near Royal York, and the other smaller one closer to Islington). There are more amenities around there such as a Goodlife @ Islington and Bloor, Groceries on Islington south of Bloor as well as on Queensway, and various other things.

And don't worry about contributing to the traffic problem, the tallest building in Canada outside a downtown core will soon be completed right next to ya and compound the problem way more then you would;).

If I'm not mistaken the commercial building that's going to be on Lake Shore in front of Lago will have Goodlife or something similar. Don't know what the timeline for it is, probably a few years still.

Haven't heard of any drug problems or crime in the area, its definitely much quieter than CityPlace or Liberty Village. I can speak for Nautilus that's well maintained, clean, and has decent amenities (party room is a pain to book though). Maintenance is high, so I'd expect rent to be on a higher side.

I'm guessing you've looked at the Expo condos at Hwy-7 and Jane? The buildings are still being finished, but I've been to one of the 1+den units there past week and the layout was nice. Pretty large units for a new condo.

I'm having such a hard time deciding between the two locations. You would think Queensway would be more likely to have everything close by, but the Metro and Shoppers at Humber Bay are most of what I need on a daily basis, whereas Queensway doesn't have either, though it does have an LCBO. I'm really not a fan of No Frills or Sobeys. I would be driving to Goodlife either way because it's not walking distance to either, so the distance isn't as much of a concern.

The loft I'm looking at is the Hive, a small one just east of Islington. No, I didn't consider any condos in the north end. I'm sure they're larger and less expensive, but I'd rather be in the south end for social life and I also do various sports and stuff around the Junction and Sunnyside, so it makes more sense if I have to be in the area several times a week anyway. Liberty Village is quite a bit farther for my commute and more expensive than what I'd like to be paying.

I'm having such a hard time deciding between the two locations. You would think Queensway would be more likely to have everything close by, but the Metro and Shoppers at Humber Bay are most of what I need on a daily basis, whereas Queensway doesn't have either, though it does have an LCBO. I'm really not a fan of No Frills or Sobeys. I would be driving to Goodlife either way because it's not walking distance to either, so the distance isn't as much of a concern.

The loft I'm looking at is the Hive, a small one just east of Islington. No, I didn't consider any condos in the north end. I'm sure they're larger and less expensive, but I'd rather be in the south end for social life and I also do various sports and stuff around the Junction and Sunnyside, so it makes more sense if I have to be in the area several times a week anyway. Liberty Village is quite a bit farther for my commute and more expensive than what I'd like to be paying.
Liberty Village is a non-starter. It's really over-hyped for what you would be getting over there, and the amenities there arent great to start with.

It honestly depends on preference at this point. Like I said personally I wouldnt recommend Humber Bay because of the current and future problems but there are some others who would. The Queensway has many amenities, but it's just a matter of knowing where things are. There is an LCBO @ Queensway and Islington, as well as a Shoppers @ Queensway and Park Lawn. You would also be closer to the Big Box stores (ie: IKEA, Canadian Tire, Bed Bath and Beyond, Lowes, etcc..) if that matters for you, and stores will generally be less busy around Queensway compared to Humber Bay since the Bay is a lot denser with thousands more people to come. There are 3 gyms within a 10 minute distance of where you would be if you chose to live around Queensway. In terms of socially, if you arent into jogging, running, or going for walks/relaxing along the lake there's not much else for you to do around Humber Bay.

Additionally you would be just a quick 5-10 minute bus ride away from Bloor West Village which has even more to offer than Humber Bay.

I could go on about why I'd choose The Queensway over Humber Bay, but it's a matter of preference at this point.

View from HBS this morning
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,412

Back